X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right Angle Impact

I have been looking for a cordless ratchet for automotive repair use. I don't have space for a compressor and air tools. I already have an electric impact wrench but would like something to break nuts and bolts in tight spaces. I was looking at cordless ratchets, like those made by SnapOn and Ingersoll Rand. I then came across these right angle impact drivers. Does anyone here use the Rigid R82233 for this purpose? I am thinking that, if it is up to the task, it is better than a cordless ratchet as the impact action will prevent any kickback and therefore no busted knuckles. I also found the Makita BTL063 which looks like a superior unit, but also a much higher pricetag. The Makita uses 18v Li-Ion batteries and has a 3/8" square drive head. With the Rigid I will need an adapter for my sockets and it uses a Ni-Cad 12v battery system. I would like to hear from anyone here that uses one of these right angle impacts for automotive repair as to how it does. Is it strong enough to break most nuts and bolts free? Is it small enough to get into most spaces? Does the head on the Rigid move like the Makita does? How is the battery life? Any likes or dislike in general? How does it compare to an air ratchet? Any and all comments, opinions, and suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

Re: Right Angle Impact

The body of the Ridgid right angle impact is long, so right off the bat it will not fit into a lot of tight spaces that a air ratchet would. I've been using a 14.4 volt battery for longer run times without any trouble but although it is strong enough to drive small lags and tighten some bolts I don't think it will loosen bolts like a air ratchet. If you don't mind breaking the bolts free by hand and then using the Ridgid impact to finish the job maybe that would work, just don't expect it to keep pace with a 3/8th air ratchet even though some of the specs might lead you to think otherwise. If your budget is tight don't waste your money, otherwise give it a try. Good luck.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I don't have space or storage for a compressor. I have an electric impact for the lugs stuff. I am looking to use this for engine work on hardware 3/8" or so and smaller. This puts out about 60 foot pounds of torque, which is about on par with the average air ratchet. This has the impact action also, which the ratchets don't. I am thinking that this tool is as good as, if not better than, the average air ratchet in terms of power. I would like to hear from someone that has used this tool for working on cars.

Comment

Frankiarmz...do you have any experience running the 12vRA impact driver with a 14.4v battery? if yes, how has the 14.4v battery influenced the RA driver's performance. thanks.
        there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Working...
        X