X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long term lith Battery Storage

The instructions for the Ridgid R86006 18v compact cordless drill are a bit confusing as they incorporate Ni-cad batteries into there explanations.
    At some point the manual suggests that "batteries" should be stored for long periods at a 30-50% charge. I spoke with one of the Ridgid Tecs and he indicated that was only for Ni-cad batteries. Whats the real deaL? Does the amount a lith battery is charged prior to long term storage (4 to 6 months+) matter or not? The Tec seemed to indicate that a simple booster charge every 4 months or so would suffice? Any definitive answer?

Thanks in advance..and there will most likly be some follow up questions, so check back in, if you will.
    Last edited by Gig; 03-31-2009, 01:39 PM.

Re: Long term lith Battery Storage

Originally posted by Gig View Post
    The instructions for the Ridgid R86006 18v compact cordless drill are a bit confusing as they incorporate Ni-cad batteries into there explanations.
    At some point the manual suggests that "batteries" should be stored for long periods at a 30-50% charge. I spoke with one of the Ridgid Tecs and he indicated that was only for Ni-cad batteries. Whats the real deaL? Does the amount a lith battery is charged prior to long term storage (4 to 6 months+) matter or not? The Tec seemed to indicate that a simple booster charge every 4 months or so would suffice? Any definitive answer?
    How profound, he said definitive answer! That never seems to happen!

Comment

Li-ion should be stored at 40% charge and 15-20 deg C. This is from manufacturer spec (Not Ridgid, from Moli Energy).

Comment

Gentlemen thanks for the detailed responce, from my timed charging studies for these batteries, I guess with the 30-34 min. full charging time of the 130383001 18v Lith batteries that come with the R86006 or -7 Compact cordless 18v drill; a 12-13 min. charge time should approximate 40% of the normal full charge, if the chargers output is uniform throughout its charge time duration.

I would have also indicated the 18v batteries "ah" (amp hours) for the 130383001, but I have heard conflicting ah's related to this particular Lith battery when doing my original research. Ridgid's website info on the R86006 battery specs were lacking and I see they are doing a better job on the new -7 specs.
        I noted some other MFGers indicated as little as 1.3 ah, and I thought Ridgids smaller 130383001 Lith batteries were 1.5 ah, which was what I found to be the largest ah indicated for any MFGers version of these smaller 18v Lith batteries. Once again talking with the Rigid Tec; he mentioned the 130383001 was a 1.4 ah, which was something different from what I had originally heard. He also recommended the 130383-028 Lith battery..I was wondering what the difference was between the -001 and the -028? and what the real "ah's" are?

One more debunking Lith battery old wives-tale type of question mentioned by a tool dept. associate at Home Depot. He indicated that the full potential of a batteries "ah" would not be achieved until the battery was charged a number of times (5 was the number put forward) Was he confusing a Ni-cad trait with a Lith-ion battery? Now I have read about some cell phone battery potential, not being fully achieved until multipule charges have taken place. What do the experts say about this multipule recharge aspect and Lith-ion batteries.?

I'll have to take a look at that Moli Energy Report.
        Last edited by Gig; 03-31-2009, 01:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X