Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New "Improved" 3000 Pressure Washer!!!

I just bought the 3000 with the CAT pump and it's awesome. I've had two other pressure washers and the pumps always failed (cheaper ones) so I decided to get a good one this time. I agree with raycola that the manual needs some help. I had the same question about the sticker on the pump plug. There's nothing in the manual addressing the plug. I tried their website and even called Home Depot and didn't get any help. Thanks to raycola's message I figured it out.

Comment

Thanks raycola, I had the same issues the manuals are horrible but I think they covered every language on the face of the earth.

Your post was just what I needed thanks for the info.

Comment

I'm new to this site but have found it very helpful. As others I had many questions about what I needed in a pressure washer. What I found from some basic research was that you pretty much get what you pay for. This is my first pressure washer so I'm no expert and my opionions are based on what I've read online.
        Here are some points I found:

1. Stay away from the cheaper vertical shafts, I saw many complaints that the pumps didn't last.

2. The two main components (pump and engine) should be the best you can afford. Keep in mind if you are just using around the house you don't need to spend $2500. Likewise if you are using your pw to make a living and using every day you better buck up and get a professional model, don't try and use a $199 model, you'll be replacing it often.

3. Consider GPM and PSI and size your pw for what you need. The bigger the numbers the more area per hour you can clean. Some sites multiply the two numbers and call it a cleaning unit (CU). I found 3000 psi and 2.6 gpm is plenty for a typical homeowner. To go bigger will cost more and you might not need it.

4. As with anything many people have many opinions. I recommend a good pump CAT or AR seem to be popular. Pick the engine you want, Honda and Briggs & Straton are good but Subaru car engines are indestructable and it sounds like the small engines have been used on other power equipment for years without many complaints.

Enough from me. Do your homework and only spend what you need and you will be happy.

Comment

I wanted to add that I purchased the 3000 psi pw from HD. I agree the manual is lacking but the pw itself seems to be good quality. I did have one problem during my first use. The engine would slow down and spew blue smoke out the exhaust for a few seconds. When I let up on the trigger the engine sped up and ran fine. I checked this site and found a suggestion that I might have too much oil in the engine. Sure enough when I checked the oil on level ground it was over filled. I had done as the manual said put the entire contents of the bottle in the engine before starting. I have since learned they ship with a few oz. of oil from the factory. Lesson learned do not overfill the oil. Started up and ran perfect today cleaned the entire driveway and patio.

Thank you all.

Comment

Hey all.

Last weekend I had purchased a Troy-Bilt 2550PSI pressure washer from Lowes. I decided to try it out on the wife's car and man, I was not impressed. I was expecting more. Also, i did research on the pump/engine and there were tons of complaints/issues. I boxed it up and took it right back.

So.. After hours of research and comparisons, I just picked up the RD80701 yesterday evening. I have yet to throw 'er together and kick the tires but from aesthetics it looks and feels quite durable.

I was very close to buying the DeWalt DPD3100 ($599.00), but Home Depot didn't offer locally (online only). I did find that the same model (DPD3100) was sold at Sears also, but they were asking $999.00!!! My wife made a trip to Sears for me to see if they would price match and pick one up, but they would only match if we paid the full amount up front and they would have to order it in, then when picked up, they would refund the diff. I was no longer interested in working with Sears on this.

So, back to the Ridgid. I have read plenty of good things about this washer (with the exception of cust. support and manual) and I hope it will provide years of dependabilty.

You will probably see me back here if I find any issues.

Comment

Originally posted by tigertony View Post
              think you guy's in US are getting rip off from ridgid i payed 299 for my power washer that was a year a go they are now 399 cdn
              I too have the original unit that sold here in Canada for $299 last fall - the regular price up here is now $399 on them. Looking at this new/revised unit, the only thing that has changed appears to be the changeover to the CAT pump - that's a hefty change for an additional $200-$300 or so (it's $549 for you guys in the US, so it will probably be $599 for us here in Canada).

The question I have is why the changeover - is/was there a problem with the AR pumps on the original line-up? ProBrand, Josh - is there anything you guys can fill in for us? I'm only 20 hours into my unit, and I've now finished cracking 2 faceplates - besides this, is there going to be an issue with the pumps? If so, any ability for current owners of the original units to upgrade somehow to the new CAT pumps (obviously, depending on an amicable upcharge fee)? Don't get me wrong, this is a great unit with an awesome overall design, and I'm more than happy with the performance that I'm getting (especially in relation to the cost). But, it's worrying that there's such a drastic change, with an integral component such as the pump, when these units haven't even been out a year.

Also, as someone else noted, the text on the product description that states, "...Ridgid power washers only use CAT pumps...", or something to that effect, is a load of hogwash. Maybe if it said, "...washers NOW only use..." Mine didn't have a CAT pump - so how can Ridgid say they only use CAT pumps? There are lots of Ridgid pressure washer units that I've seen currently for sale, at HD locations in both Canada and Michigan, which currently still have the AR pumps - so don't say that they "only use CAT pumps". Very irksome. I just hate buying in to something, and getting onto the train from the start, but then seeing PR and double-speak used to talk up an item/product, when it's plain to others that this isn't so.
              Last edited by canucksartech; 05-15-2009, 11:20 PM.

Comment

I told you guys to avoid ANY axial cam pumps, some put me down for the advice. Some AR pumps are good. CAT does not make any axial cam pumps that I know of. They are like a rotary engine, you know how well that went in the RX7. Wobble plate pumps are the cheapest design , often used n Karcher PW's The CAT uses a cam, ceramic pistons, ball bearings, very well made. Look at the thickness of the mounting plate. I have gone thru. 2 AR triplex, several Karchers axial cams. Gave up and went with the 2 CAT's I have now. No issues. The CAT as good as it gets and there are some good AR/General too in ceramic piston cam triplex designs but not as good as a CAT's in most cases. The extra money is well worth it. Ridgid did a good thing even if it costs more.
                Maybe Ridgid can exchange the pump for a CAT? Offer to pay the difference? Good luck.
                Last edited by Andrew M.; 05-16-2009, 09:54 AM.

Comment

i just picked up my 3000 psi washer at HD today for 499 thanks to my lowes 10% coupon. I think the washer is well built except for the exception that someone else pointed out. The rear washer container hose is poorly designed and no matter what you do is kinked. I just use the front one for now until i find another hose to replace it with. Other than that i am happy with it so far, only use has been washing our three cars.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew M. View Post
                    I told you guys to avoid ANY axial cam pumps, some put me down for the advice. Some AR pumps are good. CAT does not make any axial cam pumps that I know of. They are like a rotary engine, you know how well that went in the RX7. Wobble plate pumps are the cheapest design , often used n Karcher PW's The CAT uses a cam, ceramic pistons, ball bearings, very well made. Look at the thickness of the mounting plate. I have gone thru. 2 AR triplex, several Karchers axial cams. Gave up and went with the 2 CAT's I have now. No issues. The CAT as good as it gets and there are some good AR/General too in ceramic piston cam triplex designs but not as good as a CAT's in most cases. The extra money is well worth it. Ridgid did a good thing even if it costs more.
                    Maybe Ridgid can exchange the pump for a CAT? Offer to pay the difference? Good luck.
                    That's a load of bull. There are axial cam designs that are almost as efficient and as reliable and long lasting as the more sought after camshaft design.

The only reason axial pumps are cheaper is because they have fewer moving parts.

Don't talk smack about the RX7 and rotary engines. Ever pulled your piece of crap truck alongside one of them? The ONLY negative thing about rotary engines is the lack of torque at low RPM. They offer lots of advantages over typical gasoline engines and are very dependable and have lots of HP per cubic inch.

I'm tired of hearing about CAT pumps. If they were so good why do more industrial PW systems come with other brands? Just like DeWalt. They're no better than other power equipment, just different. Later!

Comment

Shadow745 ,dude, since you are tired of hearing about *** pumps here is a post about you wonderful axial cam pump, someone needs a seal kit already. BTW both my DeWalt's have ***pumps,and some of their current top models have them so you are miss informed. What facts back up your claims since it is well known *** is the #1 pump maker? Try google, but you will have to use the actual ***pump name.

RD80746 / RD80947
                      Maintenance free Axial Cam Pump – for EZ starting and Longer life

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25690
                      "hi,i am trying to find out where i can buy a seal kit for my pressure washer RD80746,
                      thanks parchuleta
                      "
                      "
                      Last edited by Andrew M.; 05-22-2009, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Who gives a damn? And your DeWalt PWs are just junk built by another company for them because they can't make a damn thing on their own that is decent. DeWalt is just like CAT, just a NAME and nothing else. LATER!

Comment

Hello to all,
                          I finally succumbed to purchasing my first PW and opted to get this Ridgid 3000psi beast as it had the CAT pump installed. I am wondering what is the black piece of plastic used for, included in the plastic bag of parts?? It looks like a filter of some sort, but as everyone has mentioned, the manual is no help.

Also, I am curious to know how many folks have purchased an aftermarket turbo nozzle to clean a wood deck for this machine? If so, any particular brand/s?

Lastly, how does one regulate the water pressure, if at all?

Thank you!
                          Last edited by Iwannabe; 05-22-2009, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Iwannabe View Post
                            Hello to all,
                            I finally succumbed to purchasing my first PW and opted to get this Ridgid 3000psi beast as it had the CAT pump installed. I am wondering what is the black piece of plastic used for, included in the plastic bag of parts?? It looks like a filter of some sort, but as everyone has mentioned, the manual is no help.

Also, I am curious to know how many folks have purchased an aftermarket turbo nozzle to clean a wood deck for this machine? If so, any particular brand/s?

Lastly, how does one regulate the water pressure, if at all?

Thank you!
                            The black piece of plastic is a little filter for the intake hose for using with the siphon system for gallon jugs of solutions. There is the dial on the faceplate for using the reservior tank or front bottles - there is clear tubing that you stick into the bottles when you attach them onto the front with the molded-base to hold them, along with the bungee cord through the jug's handle. You attach the black plastic filter thingy onto the end of the hose, that way your pump doesn't intake any debris that could clog up the hose and/or wand or nozzles.

Regarding a turbo nozzle - yes, get one, any brand works fine, they are a great accessory. Just make sure you get one that works for this machine's psi (I believe the pressure range for the turbo nozzle model that you want will be for 2000-3500 psi).

And the water pressure is only regulated by the orifice nozzle that you use on the end of the wand - the narrower the angle, and the tighter the stream, the more pressure is being applied to the surface being sprayed.

Hope this helps, and welcome to the forum.

Comment

THE ROUND 12" orange Power? at HD, has 2 rotating fan nozzles , spinning on axis with brush border,$99, add on, maybe best, a turbo tip is a 0 deg with a 15 deg pattern that will tear up most wood surfaces unless you are far away from them. It will leave stripe patterns too. I use the turbo tip on hard surfaces that I want to heavily effect.

Comment

Ridgid always in my heart.. I will buy one..
                                rockwell sonicraft |rockwell sonicrafter|fein fmm blade |power tool|Fein top|tools

Comment

Working...
                                X