No announcement yet.

New "Improved" 3000 Pressure Washer!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New "Improved" 3000 Pressure Washer!!!

Hello, a question for 3000 owners... what is the oil level in the dipstick?

Having recently purchased the PW and after reading the manual, I filled the oil (supplied 18oz) through the oil dipstick. Now, the oil level is right at the mouth of the oil dipstick. Is this the normal oil level? It seems to be in excess, but I don't know that. (I haven't started the machine yet, so I am thinking maybe some of the oil will be 'absorbed' into the various areas.)

According to the manual, the PW shipped with 2oz of oil in the engine, so the 18oz bottle was supposed to be added.

If this is not normal, how much do I drain out? The dipstick has two grooved ends, one at the tip and the other closer to the top screw of the dipstick. Where is the correct oil level marker supposed to be at? Any advise how to easily drain the oil out to the correct amount?

Thank you kindly for your advice.
    Last edited by Iwannabe; 05-25-2009, 01:16 PM.

Comment

I purchased the 3000 unit yesterday at a Home Depot and I'm returning it to the store tomorrow. I never added gasoline or tried to fire it up so I can't say anything in regard to the performance of the thing. A glance at page 18 of the user manual was enough to scare me into taking it back.

" Limitations and exclusions: This limited warranty shall not apply to:
      1: Bent or broken crankshaft or resultant damage caused by vibration related to a bent or broken crankshaft. Also, damage caused by loose engine mounting bolts or improper or imbalanced accessories or blades mounted to the crankshaft.

It's there in black and white. I can't interpret it any other way. Why the heck would the crankshaft be excluded from the warranty?

Comment

Can't say for sure, but I'd think most outdoor equipment would have similar circumstances. If you run the machine like it's intended and do the proper maintenance then I wouldn't give something like this a second thought.

Just because you get a warranty with a new vehicle it doesn't mean it will cover 100% of all major parts. Later!

Comment

Originally posted by Iwannabe View Post
          Hello, a question for 3000 owners... what is the oil level in the dipstick?

Having recently purchased the PW and after reading the manual, I filled the oil (supplied 18oz) through the oil dipstick. Now, the oil level is right at the mouth of the oil dipstick. Is this the normal oil level? It seems to be in excess, but I don't know that. (I haven't started the machine yet, so I am thinking maybe some of the oil will be 'absorbed' into the various areas.)

According to the manual, the PW shipped with 2oz of oil in the engine, so the 18oz bottle was supposed to be added.

If this is not normal, how much do I drain out? The dipstick has two grooved ends, one at the tip and the other closer to the top screw of the dipstick. Where is the correct oil level marker supposed to be at? Any advise how to easily drain the oil out to the correct amount?

Thank you kindly for your advice.
          Sounds about right. Putting in the proper fluid amount of oil puts the oil level right up to the bottom edge of the opening, way past the lines on the dipstick. That's how mine is, and it runs fine. Just be sure to not overfill it - you'd know, as the engine would bog down.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom C. View Post
            I purchased the 3000 unit yesterday at a Home Depot and I'm returning it to the store tomorrow. I never added gasoline or tried to fire it up so I can't say anything in regard to the performance of the thing. A glance at page 18 of the user manual was enough to scare me into taking it back.

" Limitations and exclusions: This limited warranty shall not apply to:
            1: Bent or broken crankshaft or resultant damage caused by vibration related to a bent or broken crankshaft. Also, damage caused by loose engine mounting bolts or improper or imbalanced accessories or blades mounted to the crankshaft.

It's there in black and white. I can't interpret it any other way. Why the heck would the crankshaft be excluded from the warranty?
            The crankshaft is the strongest part of the engine, save for the engine block itself. If you don't misuse it, it shouldn't be an issue. If it's an obvious manufacturing defect, rather than owner misuse or abuse, it shouldn't be a problem.

Comment

remember that, normal wear and tear is excluded from the warranty..

Comment

looks like that was lifted from a lawn mower manual and just copied into the ridgid manual.

Comment

Re: NEED HELP with New "Improved" 3000 Pressure Washer!!!

Hi all

I have a new not yet started RD80701. Everything seems 100% except the engine plate, (KEY 9 on the replacement parts list) has the drain cut out covered by the engine. I mean if I try & drain my oil it will drain onto that plate & smear all over. I don't know if I have a plate for a different model or if it just needs to be reversed?
                  Anyone else or just me?

Thanks.......Steve FL

Comment

You could drill a hole in the plate, or get something like this for your engine.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w..._76+130+780712

Comment

Re: NEED HELP with New "Improved" 3000 Pressure Washer!!!

Originally posted by chainslack View Post
                      Hi all

I have a new not yet started RD80701. Everything seems 100% except the engine plate, (KEY 9 on the replacement parts list) has the drain cut out covered by the engine. I mean if I try & drain my oil it will drain onto that plate & smear all over. I don't know if I have a plate for a different model or if it just needs to be reversed?
                      Anyone else or just me?

Thanks.......Steve FL
                      If you're talking about the 3000psi pressure washer, I noticed the same thing with mine. The first time I drained and changed my oil, I got oil all over the place. "Stupid place to put a drain plug," I thought.

But here's a hint - look at the other side. There's another oil drain plug on the other side of the engine, and the engine mounting plate has a hole cut in it for that one, so that you can drain it fine from that side without getting oil all over the unit.

One of those "duh" moments - just look at and use the other one.

Comment

my washer has the cat pump & my cutout in the engine plate is inaccessable from both engine drain plug locations. From the rear of the unit if I unbolted the engine & moved it to the right the holes are already there. This would expose the oil drain cutout for my right front drain plug. The only problem is that the psi line from the cat pump will hit the frame tube. So that leaves me to plumb a drain line extention tube, make my own cutout or hope the mothership will send me proper engine plate. Some of the other new ones at HD are the same as mine.

Steve

Comment

i have one of the older models with the AR pump and the hole in the frame is in the correct spot. However, even with the hole in the correct spot, oil still gets everywhere once the oil starts to slow and drip. I'd get the hose extension and not worry about any mess. Next time I change my pw oil, thats the route I'm going

Comment

Originally posted by shadow745 View Post
                            That's a load of bull. There are axial cam designs that are almost as efficient and as reliable and long lasting as the more sought after camshaft design.

The only reason axial pumps are cheaper is because they have fewer moving parts.

Don't talk smack about the RX7 and rotary engines. Ever pulled your piece of crap truck alongside one of them? The ONLY negative thing about rotary engines is the lack of torque at low RPM. They offer lots of advantages over typical gasoline engines and are very dependable and have lots of HP per cubic inch.

I'm tired of hearing about CAT pumps. If they were so good why do more industrial PW systems come with other brands? Just like DeWalt. They're no better than other power equipment, just different. Later!
                            I don't know much abount pumps, but the Rotary Engine had other drawbacks outside of low torque. How about the apex seals that always blew out after 70k and you started buring a ton of oil and smoked the $35 spark plug/glow plugs???

Even at that, I loved my RX7

Comment

Originally posted by raycola View Post
                              I bought the new 3000 washer with the CAT pump and yes, the engine has a three year warranty on it. I've used the washer for about four hours now and am quite happy with it - but am very disappointed with the operator's manual and with support from Ridgid. I have three complaints:

(1). There is no mention in the manual about engine break-in or oil change schedule - none whatsoever, and no engine manual came with the washer. When I emailed Ridgid for advice, they just said "contact the engine manufacturer." Thanks for the help Ridgid, I bought it from YOU, not from Subaru.

(2). There is no mention in the manual about pump maintenance. Again, when I emailed Ridgid for advice, they just said "have it professionally serviced." Nothing about when, or what to look for. There's a sight glass with a dot in the middle of it, but nothing about how to use it. I downloaded the 3300 operator's manual and found advice to have that pump serviced every 200 hours - does that also apply to the pump on the 3000? Again, thanks a lot Ridgid - for nothing.

(3). The manual says to "remove the label from the pump or it can shorten pump life." A label can shorten pump life? How? No explination. I peel off the label and just before throwing it away notice that the label does say "Remove the label and plug or it can shorten pump life." Plug? What plug? The manual didn't say anything about a plug. The label is on top of a plastic cap or "plug," a little more than an inch across, did it mean that? Then I noticed a very small plastic plug, about 1/8th inch in diameter on top of the larger "plug." I pried it out with my fingernail and decided the label must mean that "plug." When I emailed Ridgid, they did confirm I removed the correct "plug." At least Ridgid answered one question I had. I just wonder how many people remove just the label like the manual says, and don't notice the label then adds "...and plug," and thus shorten their pump life.

Anyway, it looks like a good washer and meets my needs, just I'm disappointed with the manual and help from Ridgid.
                              Great post I could not agree more. So far this machine is working great, I just want to know a maintenance schedule to keep it that way. Overall very satisfied with this purchase. This is my 3rd pressure washer and by far the best. Hoping this is my last pressure washer for some time.

Comment

A few things to think about..... change your engine oil often. I don't buy the once a year thing. I always look at the color and viscosity of the engine oil and change accordingly. Oil is much cheaper than a new engine. Also check/clean the air filter often. I don't believe in buying new air filters all the time. If done properly compressed air will bring a nasty filter back to new life. A pre-filter is a good idea if the unit is used in really dusty areas. I have found that pressure washing eliminates dust/dirt around the engine/pump for the most part because the hoses aren't so long that you're a long way from the machine. This in turn keeps moisture in the air as you're cleaning and that causes particles in the air around the unit to be somewhat cleaned. Get what I'm saying?

As for the pump..... I'd contact the manufacturer and ask them about oil changes and do so accordingly. Always keep an eye on the oil level if the pump allows this and when replacing the oil don't skimp..... buy what they suggest. Most think oil is oil, but most manufacturers test various parts with certain lubricants and they generally know what is best for their equipment and what isn't.

Also, never let your engine/pump idle for long periods without water flowing through the pump. Most PWs claim to have circuits built-in that re-direct the flow in case pressure builds up, but I would't rely on that. If you're not using the machine for more than 1 minute I'd turn the engine OFF. This will minimize damage to the pump. Over time it does make a difference. Also, always drain/winterize the pump properly. I highly recommend something like PumpSaver because it not only winterizes the pump, but also lubricates all moving parts, seals, etc. and keeps the pump running in top shape. Even if you live in a warm climate I'd still use this product because it keeps the pump running better than if not using it. This is especially true if mineral content in your water is high. Later!

Comment

Working...
                                X