No announcement yet.

New "Improved" 3000 Pressure Washer!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New "Improved" 3000 Pressure Washer!!!

I bought this unit yesterday at HD and despite the horrible manual I was using it about 2 hours after I got it home. I did have the problem with the sticker and thanks to this forum I figured out that I needed to remove that tiny black plug on the pump.

I'm having an issue with the soap. It only works from time to time - not 100% of the time. It doesn't look like the small hose is crimped and it looks like there's alway soap in the small tube. I tried both methods (the on-board tank and the external bottle method) and both methods result in soap only working part of the time.

Any ideas?

Comment

Not trying to make you sound idiotic, but were you trying to apply detergent on a low pressure setting with the proper nozzle? Make sure the filter (if it has one) on the end of the detergent hose is clean. Later!

Comment

I was definitely using the special head for applying detergent at low pressure.

Comment

OK, I don't have that particular model, but with mine have noticed if the detergent pickup hose it up in the air at too high of a pitch in relation to the pump/detergent container it won't feed properly, regardless of suction. Just a thought. Later!

Comment

I bought this PW and agree about the crappy manual for the PW and the lack of a manual for the engine. I did go to the Subaru/Robin website and download the manual for the Engine. But on the other hand, I cleaned the heck out of everything in my yard and am impressed with this PW. I have one question and it relates to the last few posts about the detergent container. (I tried to use mine and it didn't work - of course the hose was crimped so bad that I couldn't even blow through it.) The manual states that you should only use detergents designed for use in a pressure washer b/c household detergents etc can damage the pump. When looking at the setup it seems as if the detergent is being picked up after the pump. The pickup tube is piped in just before the high pressure hose connection. Wouldn't this mean that the only place the detergent is going is through is the high pressure hose and not throught the pump. And if that is the case, couldn't I use any detergent I want. (hose being replaceable at a small price) Thanks!!!

Comment

Correct you are about the detergent. Most units have downstream injection, meaning they rely on a venturi effect created at low pressure. The detergent is drawn in after the pump and yes you can use any cleaner you want. Have no idea why manufacturers constantly state "no bleach or other cleaners other than pressure washer specific" blah, blah, blah. I still recommend flushing the detergent hose, pressure hose, gun, etc. with a few gallons of fresh water after each use though. Things like bleach will affect o-rings, etc. in these areas, but a quick flush will minimize/eliminate damage.

For years I've been mixing bleach and Simple Green and find it to be a great all-around cleaner for pretty much anything. Have read on other forums about guys using 12% bleach and a product called Simple Cherry available on one particular PW site. Sounds good, but I have respiratory issues and using 12% bleach isn't a good thing for me unless I wear my respirator all the time, and of course that's no fun at all. Later!

Comment

Originally posted by TomT View Post
                I bought this unit yesterday at HD and despite the horrible manual I was using it about 2 hours after I got it home. I did have the problem with the sticker and thanks to this forum I figured out that I needed to remove that tiny black plug on the pump.

I'm having an issue with the soap. It only works from time to time - not 100% of the time. It doesn't look like the small hose is crimped and it looks like there's alway soap in the small tube. I tried both methods (the on-board tank and the external bottle method) and both methods result in soap only working part of the time.

Any ideas?
                I noticed on mine that I had to trim about an inch and a half from the tubing for the tank feed to eliminate the kink. And for the front feed I had to move the tubing around a bit to get it to feed from the container.

Comment

I just bought a reconditioned 80701 from HD for $325 w/3 yr warranty. Seemed like a good deal. It did not come with a manual and unfortunately Rigid doesn't have a manual for this model online. What do I need to know before I fire it up so I don't break anything? For instance:

1. How can I tell how much oil is in the *pump* (and where/how do I add more if needed)?

2. Why are there two dipsticks on either side of the engine? Is one actually for the pump, the other for the engine? If they're both for the engine, does it matter which one I put the oil into?

3. There is a switch on the side and back. What do they do and when do I use them?

4. I read something here about removing a label and plug on the pump. I can only find the Cat brand label on the bottom of the pump, along with another small label which I believe is the serial number. Perhaps since it's a reconditioned unit, the necessary label has been removed, but what about the plug - there are several things on the pump that look like plugs. Where is the plug that I need to remove and where is it located?

Thanks!
                  Last edited by NavinRJohnson; 07-26-2009, 02:17 PM. Reason: needed to add a clarification

Comment

1. Sight glass on front of pump should be at about red dot level. Add pump oil through red filler plug at top of pump.
                    2. Both for engine. It is used in different configurations. Some configurations may block one of them.
                    3. Red switch, side, under gas tank is on/off. Other 2 on back to left of pull cord are fuel on/off and choke. All should have labels.
                    4. Red filler plug on top of pump had a little black plug in the center of it attached to a label to make removal easier and obvious. Prevents pump oil from spilling during shipping. Looks like it becomes a vent hole once the black plug is removed.
                    Last edited by mikey00; 07-27-2009, 08:01 PM.

Comment

The fuel on/off switch on my new RD80701 from HD is a metal lever. It looks like a piece of plastic may have been attached on the end of the lever. Can anyone confirm this and if so let me know what color plastic? I still may be able to find it.

Comment

I purchased my 3000psi unit a week or so ago and I'm just getting to putting it together tonight and have a few questions about the oils.

As for the engine oil I'm planning on using Castrol 10w30 HD and changing the oil after the first 5 hours. Sound about right?

Should I concern myself with changing the pump oil? If so, how long should I run it before changing the oil?

Thanks,
                        Ed

Comment

Originally posted by mikey00 View Post
                          The fuel on/off switch on my new RD80701 from HD is a metal lever. It looks like a piece of plastic may have been attached on the end of the lever. Can anyone confirm this and if so let me know what color plastic? I still may be able to find it.
                          I'll check when I open mine up tonight and let you know. Ed

Comment

PW comes with a container of Ridgid 10W30 Premium 4 cycle small engine oil. Castrol would also be good. According to the Suburu engine manual oil gets changed initially at 20 hours and every 100 after that. According to the CAT pump manual pump oil gets changed initially at 50 hours and every 500 after that.
                            Thanks in advance for checking if metal fuel shut off lever has plastic piece attached to end.
                            Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mikey00 View Post
                              PW comes with a container of Ridgid 10W30 Premium 4 cycle small engine oil. Castrol would also be good. According to the Suburu engine manual oil gets changed initially at 20 hours and every 100 after that. According to the CAT pump manual pump oil gets changed initially at 50 hours and every 500 after that.
                              Thanks in advance for checking if metal fuel shut off lever has plastic piece attached to end.
                              Mike
                              Mike, here are a couple of shots of the fuel switch. I'm not sure if it's metal or some type of a grey resin/plastic. I managed to get it put together, cranked up, and tested it on some cement patio and brick wall, but didn't get to spend a lot of time with it as some thunderstorms blew through this evening (thankfully...we need the rain!). Anyhow, I took a few pics of the pw after I got it together. Here are a couple of the fuel switch. I hope they help. Ed

Comment

I just put my pw together this evening and took a few pictures of it. I figure some of ya'll thinking of buying one of these might like some pics other than the stock photos.

The pw cranked up on the 2nd or 3rd pull. Seems to run good, though it had gotten dark and a thunderstorm was just about on us so I didn't get to play, er,....work with it much. <g> Any how here's some pics...enjoy!

Ed

Below....This is a frontal shot of the pw. The small tube you see curving across the faceplate is simply the detergent tube for the outboard detergent bottle that you might want to use....I just wedged it there to get it out of the way. There's been mention of the detergent selector knob getting broken off and I can understand how that could happen if you hang the high-pressure hose down the front of the machine. The knob seems sturdy enough but dragging/beating the hose against it might make it short lived. No hoses are connected.

Below....This pic is front the top and front. Nice metal gas tank and cap. Cap is in view for the onboard soap/detergent dispenser. One thing I was a little curious about as far as quality goes was the solid tire/wheel assemblies. I was wondering how they would be and I'm impressed that they appear to be a durable rubber tread over what looks like some durable plastic/resin wheels. I'm in the tire business so it was nice to see some good rubber on the pw. The heavy tube framing seems heavy-duty....not lightweight.

Below...close-up of the front plate with soap selector switch. You can see the low and high pressure hose connections at the lower left.

Below...this is a shot of the right-hand(?)/pump-side of the pw giving a good shot of that CAT pump. To the right you can see the red ON/OFF switch...not a dinky swithc, it seems solid.

Below...A closer look at that CAT pump.

Below...Shot of the rear of the pw showing pull-cord, fuel switch, and choke. The red ON/OFF switch can be seen slightly on the righthand side.

Below...shot of the left-hand side of the pw.

Comment

Working...
                                X