No announcement yet.

New "Improved" 3000 Pressure Washer!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New "Improved" 3000 Pressure Washer!!!

Wow, this is a helpful thread. Thanks to all for the information.

I just purchased my unit last week and had a few parts left over in the plastic bag after assembling (see attached picture). Items 1 and 2 are clearly a wrench and the little bar used to turn it, but what is it to be used for? Items 3 and 4 are a total mystery to me. Item 5 is obviously a hook, but I have no idea what it's for. The manual has been no help. Any ideas?

Also, I'd like to get a 50' or 100' extension hose. Can anybody recommend one that will work?

Thanks in advance.

Kevin
    Attached Files

Comment

That wrench/bar is for removing/tightening the spark plug in the engine. The 3rd item looks like a keyway, like the type used to connect the pump shaft to the engine crankshaft. 4th item looks like something you'd use to clean the pressure washer tips out with. And of course the 5th item is a hook for something.... Later!

Comment

Originally posted by shadow745 View Post
        That wrench/bar is for removing/tightening the spark plug in the engine. The 3rd item looks like a keyway, like the type used to connect the pump shaft to the engine crankshaft. 4th item looks like something you'd use to clean the pressure washer tips out with. And of course the 5th item is a hook for something.... Later!
        Thanks, Shadow. I'm curious whether anybody else had these parts in the box.

Comment

Yes, Shadow is correct. Items 1 & 2 are used together (2 goes into the holes at either end of 1, the opposite end of what you are using), and become a poor-man's spark plug wrench/tool. Item 3 does appear to be a keyway. Item 4 is a sort of poker/debris-removal tool, and it works with the various tips that come with the wand, and are useful in removing debris if you get a clog, such as from dirt getting into the hose or into the connection end of the tips/wand (just be sure to poke the debris out in the way it came in, ie - 99% of the time, if its debris that's affecting the flow, it would have got jammed in there from the flow end of the nozzle tip. Take the nozzle tip off, and poke the debris out by inserting the small wire-like tool in the nozzle orifice from the "outside" of the nozzle, to punch out the debris to the inside for removal). And finally, item 5 is an el-cheapo carabiner (not be used for climbing, as it states) that can be used to clip the rubber holder (for the various nozzle tips) onto the power washer for storage. That rubber holder can also friction fit onto the top of the "gun"/wand during use or storage, but the carabiner can also clip it to your belt or whatever during use, or to hang it off of the power washer during storage.

Hope all this helps. And yes, all of this did come with my 3000 psi pressure washer also, except for the item #3, the keyway or such. Which leads me to think it could also be a specific item to be used with that newer CAT pump, which my model didn't have.

Comment

Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
            Hope all this helps. And yes, all of this did come with my 3000 psi pressure washer also, except for the item #3, the keyway or such. Which leads me to think it could also be a specific item to be used with that newer CAT pump, which my model didn't have.
            Everything mentioned came with my washer except #3, the mysterious key. I have the newer CAT pump.

Comment

Thank you for the very helpful replies.

My pressure washer seems to be working just fine, so I guess the keyway isn't mission critical.

Update: I did a Google search for "Pressure Washer keyway" and a link to a page containing the attached picture came up. The arrow points to an item that appers identical to item 3 in my picture. I'm guessing that shadow was right that it connects the shaft in the engine to the shaft in the pump. But why would Ridgid send an extra one? Do these things break or wear out over time?
              Attached Files
              Last edited by KevinB656; 07-29-2009, 07:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by KevinB656 View Post
                Thank you for the very helpful replies.

My pressure washer seems to be working just fine, so I guess the keyway isn't mission critical.

Update: I did a Google search for "Pressure Washer keyway" and a link to a page containing the attached picture came up. The arrow points to an item that appers identical to item 3 in my picture. I'm guessing that shadow was right that it connects the shaft in the engine to the shaft in the pump. But why would Ridgid send an extra one? Do these things break or wear out over time?
                No, usually these don't break or wear easily. However, I'm sure they included it just to be on the proactive side - I'm sure it was something that CAT included or wanted included, an extra keyway. Besides, for the 2 cents that it costs, it's easy to include to have. Also, depending on what the oilchange/maintenance requirements are for that CAT pump, if you as the consumer wish to take the CAT pump off of the engine, it is quite easy then to damage/bend/lose the keyway, so putting an extra one in there can only lead to a happy customer. You could contact CAT about their pump, to see what the reasoning is. But it might just be easier and best for you if you store it somewhere safe, and if you ever need it, then you have it. Easy as pie, IMO.

Comment

A newbie here. Have read all the previous postings pretty thoroughly.
                  Here's what my bag of parts contained.

And you see a rubber grip that does not quite grip onto the tubing
                  (it'll fall off if I don't zip-tie it.

So, that carabiner could be used too, instead, for applying the nozzle holder
                  to the frame, dangling.

But I am guessing I'll prefer to have the nozzle holder unit on the frame,
                  not dangling. Can plan to use the carabiner to hold the nozzle-poker-cleaner?

The nozzel holder, of soft rubber; it is not a tight/firm enough fit to hold secure, so it must be,
                  perhaps, glued (silicone glue might work), or zip-tie. Good idea? Need to decide where to mount it the thing.

The "keyway" everybody so-terms, is just a spare key, soft stee
                  l,
                  for the pump shaft, as a spare, as everyone has already noted.

I've only run the unit for an hour. The PVC hose fell off the bottom of the soap valve.
                  Fix: heat the tubing good and hot and then fully press it home onto its barb.

Guess I may want to look at the soap valve too, because the tubing may be loose there too!

Note the oil sight glass of the CAT pump?

The oil is factory installed, and perhaps, it is turbid-colored by nature.
                  It is one running-hour old. Is CAT oil brown-ish by nature?

Having just looked at CAT's spec sheets, I don't exactly understand why I should not use a brand name motor oil,
                  such as Mobil One, when I soon change that CAT oil. OR would that cause disaster?
                  I don't think that Home Depot sells the CAT branded oil? I have to check.
                  Will use whatever oil CAT deems best, but where to buy it, if HD does not carry the stuff?

Engine oil: downloaded the Subaru Robin engine manual specific to this class of engine.
                  For our area, South Florida, it seems that a straight 30 or even SAE 40 oil will be best:
                  more oil, less VI improvement additives, that I don't need because it's never cold here.
                  Again, after I have changed the oil a few times (like every hour, during break in, because clean oil can't harm),
                  I would like to switch to Mobil One. Any problem foreseen with that plan?

These engines have no oil filters. They are Model T era technology at basis;
                  the lack of oil filtration means that you can't change oil too often:
                  all the wear products are liable to embed in the con rod's soft metal, and accelerate wear, etc.

After the unit has been run "unloaded" for a few hours (no hose on the outlet, but full water supply to the pump, I think I will consider it "broken in",
                  then change the CAT oil (trying to get the genuine stuff), and go the Mobil One route, and then just change oil, say, every twenty hours (can't hurt).

NOTE that the oil drain hole in the deck is a great idea!
                  BUT, they have not got the hole quite in the best location re: drain plug.
                  I'll fix that in time, because as it is, most of the oil drained goes through the hole, but not all of it: some goes onto the deck.

The pictures below are externally hosted thumbnails.
                  CLICK on any of them to see the bigger versions, nice and clear enough
                  for 3AM work .

Experts: please warn me in time if I am messing anything up?
                  The instruction book was useless.

I ran the machine for about an hour yesterday,
                  BEFORE knowing of this forum, and
                  BEFORE having read Subaru's, own, =vital, so they say,= engine break-in schedule.

Instead, she went right to work.
                  That bums me a bit, for new engines like this
                  may well benefit from a bit of gentle running under light load,
                  to seat in the rings and such, all of which generates considerable iron-wear products,
                  that I don't want to embed into the con rod "bearing" surface, nor work in the crank's ball bearings.

Clean oil and clean air, and with care there should be no wear-out to this engine on this cleaner.
                  Same goes for the CAT pump, right?

Thanks
                  for any corrections, tips or whatever.
                  My last washer was a low-end wobble plate $350 DEK unit,
                  whose ignition power finally died away.

THIS machine works, like twice as well as the old DEK:
                  it is perfect for my household cleaning needs: roof and decks.
                  So far, so good. But with only the RIDGID manual, that's just not enough for the new user.

Am glad to have found this forum and the relevant threads.

Cheers from a wordy-fumbler,
                  R.

CLICK FOR BIGGER VIEWS?

regarding the final picture:
                  I used Elmer's "Stix All",
                  a conventional acetic-acid-cure
                  silicone adhesive. That, and taped
                  the rubber holder to the frame for twelve hours
                  The rubber tip holder is now on for good.
                  I like "Stix All" because it does not "go bad" in
                  the partially used tube: its tip does not clot-shut
                  For tiny jobs, it is worth the convenience. $3.50, more or less,
                  any pharmacy-store or hardware store, "Stix-All". Good stuff.

Last edited by Reid; 08-18-2009, 10:39 PM. Reason: lots of typos to fix. I don't see or spell well.
                  T.A. Edison said, and I paraphrase from memory:
                  "Nothing worthwhile works the very first time, all by itself,
                  just to please you. You have to make the damned thing work!

~~~~

Join up?
                  It is not religious or spiritual, and you may cuss up a storm
                  and be in control of your life
                  and make it not a "reid" place,
                  after all; it's not commercial.

Comment

As it came out of the box; seems to be new stock:

Click for bigger images if you like?

~~~~

Join up?

Comment

Hi Reid,

I'd use the unit for a few hours and change the oil in the engine and pump. The turbid look of the oil(s) is caused by contaminents, debris left from manufacturing, etc. and is therefore a good idea to change soon. I highly recommend using oil specific to that pump. I know some people run just plain old 30 weight motor oil in PW pumps often, but the pump manufacturer knows what is best for their products and using something else might also void the warranty.

Sounds as if that manual needs to be redone. I'd say experiment a little to explore all the possibilities of what the unit has to offer. PWs can be used for lots of things if the proper cleaner/pressure is applied. Remember, in pressure washing the cleaners/detergents are what make it all happen, the water is there really just to rinse it all away with a little bit of force. Pressure alone usually isn't enough. Also, I'd be careful about pressure washing roofs. Later!

Comment

Originally posted by shadow745 View Post
                        Hi Reid,

I'd use the unit for a few hours and change the oil in the engine and pump.
                        The turbid look of the oil(s) is caused by contaminents, debris left from manufacturing, etc. and is therefore a good idea to change soon.

I highly recommend using oil specific to that pump. I know some people run just plain old 30 weight motor oil in PW pumps often,
                        but the pump manufacturer knows what is best for their products and using something else might also void the warranty.

Sounds as if that manual needs to be redone. I'd say experiment a little to explore all the possibilities of what the unit has to offer.

PWs can be used for lots of things if the proper cleaner/pressure is applied.

Remember, in pressure washing the cleaners/detergents are what make it all happen,
                        the water is there really just to rinse it all away with a little bit of force.

Pressure alone usually isn't enough.
                        Also, I'd be careful about pressure washing roofs. Later!
                        Dear Shadow,

never met a North Carolinian who wasn't quick on the draw with a good, right answer.

I tend to document about everything with just too many words and pictures;
                        to many words: I love to read technical documents,
                        for instance.

Thank you for confirming that the CAT oil looks a bit turbid already.
                        I will change the oil ASAP.

Have bad eyesight...looking through the loose leaves of paper included in the plastic bag, after posting last night:

There it is: a small, white page of paper, loose, giving
                        all the pump seal and rebuild parts =including oil= along with a Ridgid telephone number.

SO they do make it easy to order the special oil over the phone.
                        ++++++++++++++++++++++++++
                        Folks, see my picture-post bottom of page seven?
                        See that's where shadow came right back with an answer.

__________________________________________________ _____

End of content. Story of old NC to follow, not on topic:

Thanks, shadow! I grew up with old and new engines and drove a Model T for 25k miles.
                        I reckon to learn more about this unit in time.

If folks here don't mind, I'll continue to spout words and pictures.
                        because Vernon and Leander ((old time NC farmers)) sort of instilled
                        a respect in me of how to make things work and last a long time.
                        They worked and lasted a very long time, themselves: over ninety years each of 'em,
                        brothers who managed a beautiful farm, that since the '20s at least, had become a sort of summer retreat for Florida-heat escapees.
                        So I knew them and my daddy grew up on that wooded retreat. And....
                        in the barn, ready to fire up was...one of their Model T Fords.
                        And at the side of Aunt Sally's house (she was gone by then),
                        was the old gasoline powered Maytag.

Anyway, you remind me of what I like about the South.
                        Thank you, sir. I learned from Vernon how to fix player pianos.
                        I guess that's why I never stop talking "music".

Reid (fifty five goin' but going on mental age five)
                        Last edited by Reid; 08-17-2009, 12:17 PM. Reason: typos and formatting improvements (shorter lines for me)

~~~~

Join up?

Comment

Well, I like most people, visit the forums to help others with any knowledge I might happen to have on a particular subject and also to learn something new each day.

Regarding the oil, I'd say it would be turbid anyway just because of the heat, rotation, etc. going on inside the pump. But after the first 4-5 hours I'd change the oil in the pump and engine just to be safe. After that initial change it should be good to go for awhile.

I was at my local Home Depot just last week and they did carry the proper CAT brand oil for that pump.

The pics you posted as well as the technical review was top notch. I like the technical side of everything as well. AND I always try to find some way to make something a bit better. Run a bit better, be a bit more efficient, be easier to use, etc.

Don't know if this applies to your PW uses, but I've been cleaning my home as well as other things associated with pretty much any property and have done homes for family members as well for about 10 years now. Always had an issue with cleaning higher levels, maybe 10 feet and up. I would always use my 0 degree nozzle and try to reach it. A few weeks ago I bought a telescoping wand that extends from 6 feet up to 18 feet. Read alot of reviews and most were positive, but the negatives ones were from people that do pressure washing for a living, calling them among other things "flimsy noodles".... Anyway, I used it for the first time yesterday and it cut my cleaning time on the higher levels like you wouldn't imagine. Instead of trying to rinse everything with that high pressure thin 0 degree stream that wand allowed me to get right up there and make wide even sweeps with the nozzle I was using (40 degree, 4.5 orifice). The areas I did yesterday would normally take 15 minutes or more to rinse in the past, but with the new wand I was able to do the same areas in what might have been 3 minutes. This wand may apply to your needs or not, but I thought I'd pass this on as I haven't posted my findings anywhere else yet. Later!

Comment

Shadow above, thanks.
                            BTW, folks, I tend to break my lines short;
                            easier for me, at least, to read my own junk.

WILL GO to HD very soon and see if they have the CAT oil on the shelf.
                            That'd be nice.

I read in the wee hours (that's my "daytime"), the online PDF Subaru Robin engine manual.
                            It darned well says that we should run the new engine
                            at lowered speed and at nearly no load for x number of minutes.

So what I am doing now, is just running the unit with the hose OFF:
                            it is shooting garden hose water uselessly but you got to have water,
                            and this makes but a light load for the engine and the CAT pump.

When the tank of gasoline runs out, I will change that engine oil again.
                            Am using regular SAE 10/30 for this break in period.

Then I will later go to Mobil One, an SAE 10/40 or whatever is similar.
                            It's hot here. The Subaru manual says "SAE 40" is good to use in ambient temps above, like 86F (I am working by memory now, which is not reliable)

Folks: get those manuals online? Their links are found on earlier pages of this thread,
                            I forget just what page. Will put the links up here, again, later, when I find 'em.

I just lay around most of the time and have to wait til the sun goes down
                            before I can do light work out of doors
                            (have a condition called "SLE" and get tired out, and sunlight turns on the "SLE")
                            _________
                            Will tell a bit later on about how I pressure cleaned our home's concrete tile roof with the old DEK,
                            about two years ago.
                            It's time to clean it again. It's a sturdy roof. I'm not so sturdy any more, is all

So, when a day comes when I'm feeling strong and in good balance,
                            I'll brighten up the roof. It's big and sloping but not steep and not slippery...

Late night addendum to existing post above so not to raise the thread.
                            YES. Home Depot had the CAT oil.

I am glad I drained the nearly-new oil. In a shiny pie pan, the oil was all "sparkly" looking in the sunshine:
                            metal particles normal to the wear-in, no worry. So, a quick flush and then a final fill, and the CAT pump is good
                            to go to work tomorrow late in the day.

Did the same drain and flush with 10/30 dino oil, to the Subaru engine. First fill came out looking "OK" but, again
                            metallic "sparkles" see-able in the sunshine, in the aluminum pie pan. SO, two more fills/runs/drains, and now it
                            has a fill of Mobil One. I've liked that brand ever since the synthetics began to hit the market about thirty years ago.

Have some more images to share, showing, I hope, the natural detritus that a new engine or pump always manufactures
                            Will add those images here in clickable thumnail form. Oil is cheap. I plan to use this washer a great deal, and even
                            if I don't live all that long into the future, I like to baby simple machines. It would last for many a year with factory recommended
                            oil change-intervals, sure...but why not change oil every five or ten operating hours? It's not that big of a cost.
                            And for me:
                            I never fail to "overdo" anything! I'm a goose!
                            Thanks again, shadow!

Reid.
                            Last edited by Reid; 08-17-2009, 10:16 PM. Reason: dummy corrects the ventriloquist

~~~~

Join up?

Comment

Hello,
                              Been a member a while, but have not posted often at all. Just picked up the 3000 psi unit from HD this evening. The manager was super nice and gave me 10% off. However, put everything together, filed oil etc. Unit appears very sturdily built. The only concern I have is that the front plate touches the pump outlet connector. This cannot be good for the plate nor the pump (vibration thing?). Should I cut a curve into the metal such that it clears the outlet connector? Will use it tomorrow to complete the deck cleaning we started this weekend using an old Coleman Blackhawk 1800 psi unit, but had to stop as the pump on the old unit died. Any input on the front plate touching the outlet connector and possible fix is appreciated.
                              Thx,
                              aba

Comment

Why change oil before the first twenty hours? (pictures)

Images of this afternoon.

First, the second oil change. This oil had been run for about one tank of gas, only.
                                No load on the cleaner; the output hose disconnected, water flowing through the pump.
                                The pictures don't show up the metallic sparkles nearly so brilliantly as life.

Later pictures show the third oil change, drained after a half hour's running:
                                it's essentially clean looking oil. OK. So, the worst of the first wear-in particles are now flushed out, gone.
                                Then installed the first fill Mobil One SAE 10/40. Will change that out after about ten hours,
                                and inspect for metal flakes in the bright sun, pie plate.

Lastly, the OEM installed CAT oil got drained. CAT pump oil, too, sparkled in the sunshine;
                                sorry that the metal flakes don't not show up too well in the images.

Flushed, ran for half an hour, and refilled to the sight glass red dot,
                                with genuine CAT brand oil gotten at the Home Depot.

Click to enlarge any of these for easy viewing?

Got lots of work to do now with the roof and the deck and the courtyard.
                                She is good to go and always starts on the first pull; what a help when an engine starts so readily as these do.

Good product overall, this 3000 series; excellent value, I think, for someone like me: not a pro,
                                but I will have lots of hours to put on the cleaner, and it will
                                retain a pretty fair amount of its value if I ever need to sell the 3000.
                                It's so much more of a strong workhorse than the two year old model 2650 DEK brand,
                                yet, this machine only costs two bills more.

We get what we pay for, I guess.
                                I'm gainin' on it...let's see if it likes to live on a diet of
                                Mobil One as well as that DEK did: I ran it for hundreds of hours,
                                even with Mobil One in the "SAE30 non detergent" pump lube.
                                That cheap wobble plate pump never failed.
                                I also kept the DEK pump cool with a gentle flow of water over it
                                whilst running: it would never get hot that way.

It was the DEK's fiddly ignition that was the DEK's weak point;
                                a very hard starter even when new, and then, after two years:
                                no more starting possible: no spark to speak of.
                                Parts support seems to be about nil for the DEK.

I am not anti-DEK. But...you get what you pay for, for sure!

Handy, free book about lubrication engineering, a hobby of mine since childhood;
                                there are many such books online now, for free, thanks to Google.
                                Many are semi-technical. All contain useful "what for" information.
                                Oil additives of modern oils came about during WWII, so you won't see
                                a great deal about modern additives in these old, public domain books.
                                http://books.google.com/books/downlo...siNuuBd9UI_POw

Last edited by Reid; 08-18-2009, 01:54 AM. Reason: typos and text trims. trying to keep it clear enough to read easily

~~~~

Join up?

Comment

Working...
                                X