X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hilti Bit Update

I went back to Home Depot to see if I could buy some Hilit "TEK" phillips bits. The Hilti salesman was there and we talked a little as I showed him the Hilti "DRY" phillips bit that broke apart from the torque of my Ridgid Impact wrench. Unfortunately the new packages of TEK bits were made in Taiwan and unlike the ones made in Germany were not the same blue steel. Junk is junk and putting a respected name such as Hilti on it does not change that fact.

Re: Hilti Bit Update

Problem is: Consumers want the German stuff at the China price.

Comment

Originally posted by Trimmer View Post
      Problem is: Consumers want the German stuff at the China price.
      I just want American stuff. I'll pay more for home quality....& I'm veeeryyy thrifty.

J.C.

Comment

Most folks are stupid when it comes to prices and quality. What do I save by picking up the DeWalt 10 pack of #2 phillips bits for half the price of the German or "made in the USA" product" when they all break because they are made from poor qualtiy metal? I'll pay more cause in the end it's cheaper!

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
          ........I'll pay more cause in the end it's cheaper!
          Too bad more people aren't as smart as you are.
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
            Most folks are stupid when it comes to prices and quality. What do I save by picking up the DeWalt 10 pack of #2 phillips bits for half the price of the German or "made in the USA" product" when they all break because they are made from poor qualtiy metal? I'll pay more cause in the end it's cheaper!
            The vast majority I run into in my job are not like that...tis a shame because I share your thought process aswell...

I find most will buy the widget 3 times for $100 each and not once for $250.

Comment

We each have our own unique experiences growing up that eventually make us who we are as adults. When I was a kid/teenager we didn't have a lot of money, my Dad worked in a food store and he bought cheaper clothes, shoes, everything. I never went hungry and I thank my parents for that and so much more, but I did pick up on the fact that my Dad did not get good use out of the lower priced items he bought. Now as an adult I've gone overboard in some of my purchases and probably paid too much and not gotten much better quality or durability on some of the things I bought. The trick is to find that middle ground where the item or service is worth the extra in the long run. When I buy a tool I still will go with the best I can afford even if I have to save up, rather than go cheaper and have to buy twice. When it comes to having work done on my home or car, I don't mind a apprentice having a hand in the job as long as their is a good mechanic/tradesman right next to him or her. I smile when I look at my Echo back pack blower, paid a lot for it thirteen years ago!

Comment

Frankiarmz, I had to smile when I read your post about growing up and the family not having a lot of money. When I was a kid, we were in the same boat. We always had enough food on the table and my parents bought us kids new clothes for school. One thing my father did not skimp on was quality tools. I just didn't know it then. I got yelled at a couple of times for leaving a wrench or a screw driver in the lawn after working on my bicycle. When I got married, I was still in the service and was moving to Virginia to be stationed at the Pentagon. I decided to purchase a tool "kit" to be able to do fix-it projects around the house. I think I spent about $85 dollars which for me making $160/month, was a lot of money. I remember tightening a screw with one of my new screwdrivers and the blade twisted about 45ยบ from the torque. I ended up throwing all those tools out and started buying Craftsman Tools as I became able to afford them. It was a good lesson that serves me to this day. Buy crap, buy twice. I buy the best I can afford now, but I try to justify the purchase based upon need, not want. The "want" sometimes wins over, however. I will not knowingly buy any tools not made in the USA with the exception of Hilti or Fein, etc.

Comment

As far as powertools go I am unaware of any current Ridgid products made in the USA. Milwaukee too ; has few made in the USA. Even my over 10y.o. Milwaukee Magnum drills have made in China bearings. I called them a few years back to ask about a made in USA tagged tool has Chinese bearings. The tech said that drill was made here with some " minor" foreign components. He said bearings are just not available that are made in the USA, any longer. Not sure if that was true when it was made.
                  I too hate having to buy from Communist China, but it impossible to avoid even hidden inside a "Made in USA" Milwaukee drill. I have bought many made in USA powertools in the past, now hardly any are available.
                  This drill was made before TTI bought them. This drive towards an ecomomy based on hedge funds exchanging currency rates , the ballouts, printing Trillions of dollars which just causes inflation, removing our industrial production to foreign counties causing hi-unemployment, Google types worth billions for a search engine framework and our auto industry nearly collapsed and consumer consumption as a GNP base instead of actually producing goods has lead us to a disaster. I can not imagine what would have happened in the 40's if we did not have the industrial base to awaken to fight back in WWII. My dad worked on designing the P51 Mustang in SoCal, the auto industry built tanks..How far will we go to defend ourselves with Ipods flat screen TV's and cell phones.
                  On the powertool issue, I really see no viable stradegy to buying made in USA items.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew M. View Post
                    ..How far will we go to defend ourselves with Ipods flat screen TV's and cell phones.
                    On the powertool issue, I really see no viable stradegy to buying made in USA items.
                    I hear what you're saying. Unfortunately, Ipods, flat screen TV's and cell phones are all made in countries that write like this: 北方話 / 官北方話 / 官北方話 / 官
                    I agree with you about power tools. the best you can do is buy tools with "Made with predominately U.S. content". Competition or the bottom line encourages manufacturers to outsource parts to bring a tool in at a price point. The content and the quality of the tools suffer as a result.

Comment

Working...
                    X