X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: D.i.y r859 flashlight l.e.d convertion

I am so darn jealous! I'd try to get the folks at Ridgid to sell me the voltage regulator but the last time I spoke to the techs they didn't even know the amp hours of the new lithium ion battery. They insisted the 1.9AH was a 3.0, this was a while back. Too bad the step down voltage is not 6volts, I converted my old 3D cell MagLite to a Terralux 3watt LED bulb before MagLite offered their LED bulbs. The LED bulb for the 4 D cell is common now. Over twenty four hours of good light, imagine long our 18 volt nicads or lithiums would power such a bulb?

Comment

Tucson, we do have the same style flashlight model R859. I apologize as I'm unable to post photos, but the end result is and looks exactly as yours. The light has a lot more of that gray rubber than the original R849 model. Looking at your photos, I have also the same "circuit board" inside the light as you have. I believe it's designed to take 18VDC or 24VDC and regulate it to 12VDC. I only use 18VDC batteries, I do not have any 24VDC.

Allow me to clarify some details:

1. When you unscrew the reflector, you have access to the gray "part" assembly
      [#511141001 item-7]. This is where the spare bulb is also stored.

2. Removing the two screws that provide the beam adjustment allows you to remove the
      gray assembly, original bulb holder and spring. You do need to cut the wires as you
      explained in your narrative to accomplish this.

3. The "hole" where the original lamp socket fits is too small for the rear of the MR16 lamp.
      Keep in mind I used hot glue and thus the diameter is slightly larger. I ended up
      enlarging the hole to slightly more than 3/4". This enlargement did not weaken or hinder
      the reflector adjustment. Although with the new lamp there is no benefit of that
      function. Originally you adjusted the beam by moving the reflector in or out from the
      lamp. Obviously the new MR16 lamp does not move.

The LED lamp fits snugly and the bit of extra wire used to connect to the lamp can be
      easily tucked into the bottom of the opening.

I believe you used a different LED lamp initially and you enlarged the reflector hole. Thus your 48LED lamp probably sits inside the reflector a bit further out and did not require enlarging the gray part hole for everything to fit.

-----------

Frankiarmz What model/version flashlight do you have? R849 or R859?
      When you open it do you have a circuit board in it?

The 3Watt Terralux is an excellent LUXEON LED I have their 3Watt version in my 3D cell Maglite. However, this type lamp will not work in the Ridgid lights. They produce too much heat as discussed earlier. The 4D Terralux is made for 6VDC the 3D is 4.5VDC
      In fact all of the "aftermarket" LUXEON LED replacement lamps will not work as none are designed for 12VDC. Plus, they all use a different bulb base. You also note the Terralux has an outer metal sleeve as a heat sink. My version even came with heat sink compound to ensure good heat transfer.

Going through the arduous task of making some sort of regulator circuit is overkill and again LUXEON LEDS generate too much heat. So sorry, no plug and play here!

The 12VDC MR16 48LED bulb is the best compromise. On E-bay I think I paid less than $6.00 including shipping.

This modification is not difficult as you can see from Tucson's photos and my narrative.

If you are not seeing 12VDC at the lamp socket determine what you have...then on E-bay there are a myriad of MR16 [the base style] LED lamps. You can choose the voltage and even the number of LEDs in the lamp. I saw as little as 16 to as many as 60. I suggest you go with the 48 LED size as it's a nice fit and you have two folks here with success using that specific lamp.

Be aware that not all LED lamps are the same either. They come as a "spot" or "flood" so read the specifications carefully before ordering. I did see some 3Watt MR16 base [LUXEON?] single LED lamps but they draw around 700ma [0.700A]
      The whole idea to using the LED lamp is to have better light and a much longer run timer. With a 700ma draw you can anticipate around 4 hours of run time on a good 18VDC 3AH battery.

---------

DRC WARTEX Your comment about the DEWALT 32V unit and removing the regulator is not really a good idea. With the regulator the LED lamp used will maintain maximum brightness as the battery looses power. If you simply used a 32VDC LED lamp as soon as the battery voltage dropped a few volts the lamp will either flicker, dim, or just quit.

The More expensive LED flashlights use a regulator type circuit to ensure you get every drop out of the battery.

Cactus Man
      Last edited by cactusman; 04-07-2009, 01:43 PM.

Comment

The R859 flashlight was the only tool in my 4 tool MaxSelect Kit that hasn't let me down. I'm about to give them all away to the first person with their hand out.

I purchased the 48 LED bulb off the eBay listing Tucson posted for $6 including shipping. Came all the way from Hong Kong in just 4 days

Converted my R859 flashlight yesterday in about 30 minutes following the instructions.

WOW! what an improvement! Excellent lighting and no deadspot in the middle. I typically use the R859 for flood purposes. The LED is perfect for stomping around in dark basements on rat patrol. For spot lighting, I'll use the small Maglite. Left it running for about 6 hours on 1/2 charge. Still going strong.

Thanks Tuscon. I think I'll hang onto the this light for a while

Comment

Well done Plumberscrack!

Cactus Man

Comment

R849, no voltage regulation. Whatever the battery is putting out is what reads at the bulb. I have used the Terralux units for my 3D cell Maglite and AA MiniMag with no problems, but their TS 18 ToolStar cluster LED was junk. I'm glad some of you guys can mode your Ridgid worlights but without voltage regultion I can't . I do think with today's technology ALL tool lights should be LED and have added features such as strobe, SOS and a minimum of three levels of brightness. I know I'm repeating myself but maybe someone at Ridgid will wake up and take a hint? I had the identical problem with my Ryobi tool light, no voltage regulation and the cluster LED fried!

Comment

This is for Frankiarmiz....

I got it! I just looked at the R849 and R859 flashlights. You are correct the R849 does not
              have a voltage regulator circuit. I wonder what replacement lamp the R849 uses?
              Is it a 12v lamp? DeWALT DW9043 is a 12v lamp that is used in a non modified R859 flashlight.

I did not go back and read your other posts but I think you indicated you measure 18VDC at the lamp socket..is this correct?

All may not be lost as you can still upgrade the R849.

On E-bay:
              item 350191483485 a MR16 78LED 2W 12VDC "spotlight" NOT FLOODLIGHT
              $2.39 and shipping is $5.99
              item 220398323889 MR16 48LED 12VDC 3w [2.28w] spotlight total $6.39 This is the lamp
              I used as did the others.

There are hundreds of listings ....

I suggest You buy one of the lamps. Then, it will be simple to simply drop the voltage to the lamp. I can't find any ready made LED type lamps rated at 18VDC.

I suggest you use 190ma to 200ma [0.19-.020amp] in your calculations
              The resistor should drop 5VDC or so
              a 1 watt size resistor would work and it's still small enough to fit inside the light.
              R=E/I or R=5v/0.2 = 25 ohms
              P=ExI or P=5vx.2 = 1 watt

Now there will not be any regulation so as the battery voltage drops the LED light will
              either dim for a while, as I'm not sure if the lamp has any regulation internally, or it will simply go out.

Now this may not be an issue as you are using a 2.5amp Ni cad battery or a 3amp lithium ion battery. You should experience anywhere from 10-15 run hours of light depending of course as to the condition of the battery. This is still a lot better than the incandescent bulb's run time, brightness, and durability.

I would set up an experiment before modifying your R849. Just use alligator clip leads and attach wires to the lamp socket. Then assemble the MR16 48LED lamp and resistor...
              see if it works.

The worst case is you're out 7 bucks on a lamp but I bet you will simply do the upgrade.

If you have any questions feel free to continue on this listing. Others reading this are likely at the same point you are.

Cactus Man

p.s. The Ridgid flashlight be it the R849 or the R859 are made of plastic! This means LUXEON type LED lamps are not going to play well. The 1-3-5watt type LUXEON LEDs generate a lot of heat as they draw 700ma [0.7 amp] or more! This generated heat will melt the plastic. They draw more than the original incandescent bulb which I believe is around 250ma [0.250amp]. A 48LED type lamp uses low voltage/low current LEDs. This is typically 3.4-3.7VDC @ 20-25ma [0.20-0.25amp] each.They do not generate a lot of heat!

All of the TERRALUX LED replacements currently offered WILL NOT play in this application. Nor will the after market LED replacement lamps you see at Lowe's or Home Depot. These replacements are not the correct bulb size or operating voltage!

The MR16 48LED lamp at 12VDC is the best LED for this specific application as it is low heat, low current, good white
              illumination, not expensive, and easy to adapt to the Ridgid flashlight.
              Last edited by cactusman; 04-19-2009, 10:12 PM.

Comment

Unfortunately what I measure at the socket is whatever the battery is puttng out at that particular time since there is no regulation as I mentioned and you agree with. My fully charged nicad reads 21.5 volts so I would not be reducing 18 volts down to 12 which I'm sure has got to throw off your calculations.

Comment

what light bulb is used in your R849?

Cactus Man

Comment

Originally posted by cactusman View Post
                    what light bulb is used in your R849?

Cactus Man
                    18 volt DeWalts, same that every 18 volt tool light uses and Home Depot carries. Shame that we still get incandescent tool lights when LED's last literally forever, use a fraction of the energy and provide other advantages over old technology.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                      18 volt DeWalts, same that every 18 volt tool light uses and Home Depot carries. Shame that we still get incandescent tool lights when LED's last literally forever, use a fraction of the energy and provide other advantages over old technology.
                      See, this is what I don't get

For just a few bucks I was able to transform my incandescant light into a superior flashlight with 48 LED's. I would think tool manufacturers could be able to do the same for just pennies and bring to market a better tool.

What's the holdup?

Comment

OH! BOY!
                        check it out R968 658-560
                        This is a new Ridgid/Fuego 18v 4 piece tool set

The Ridgid site has it but I'm unable to find it on the home Depot website

Frankiarmiz your prayers have been answered...this kit offers a LED work light!
                        No specs on what LED they are using but from what I can glean from the picture
                        it looks like it may be a LUXEON type LED!!!!!!

OK folks anyone with hands on experience with the new kit?

Fuego is an excellent brand hoe did it marry up to Ridgid?

Cactus Man

Comment

Originally posted by cactusman View Post
                          OH! BOY!
                          check it out R968 658-560
                          This is a new Ridgid/Fuego 18v 4 piece tool set

The Ridgid site has it but I'm unable to find it on the home Depot website

Frankiarmiz your prayers have been answered...this kit offers a LED work light!
                          No specs on what LED they are using but from what I can glean from the picture
                          it looks like it may be a LUXEON type LED!!!!!!

OK folks anyone with hands on experience with the new kit?

Fuego is an excellent brand hoe did it marry up to Ridgid?

Cactus Man
                          Very funny! If this was true Probrand or someone else would make an announcement. Ridgid would have it on their main site under cordless tool kits. They would not be so backwards as to keep it a secret.

Comment

I'm not kidding. I went to this Ridgid home page [not reflector home page but site home]
                            On the right hand side just above demos...You should see "new" FUEGO
                            it's black and orange.

Then click on it you then see the spot for FUEGO lithium-ion 18 volt battery powered tool
                            kit.

It's 658-560, R968, No Home Depot internet site sku number. Although the FUEGO page says
                            only at Home Depot.

Another option is to Google "FUEGO R968"

Honest I'm not making this up. There was even a posting on 2-27-2009 on the power tool discussion section of this forum.

Cactus Man

Comment

Their is one on ebay ... Still rather kep my 48 LED 24V

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ridgid-18v-4pc-C...3A1%7C294%3A50

Comment

Well I think I have come across a solution for those of you using the original 18v Ridgid flashlight without a regulator circuit board.
                                E-bay item 180354317317
                                This is a cree LED bulb for the Ridgid R849 18v flashlight.
                                This looks like the same base the Ridgid flashlight uses.
                                It does not have a lot of details but you can try it.
                                The LED is advertised as 100 lumens and that's BRIGHT!

The seller is asking about twenty bucks

Now, if this is a plug and play lamp it's exciting! and it may offer brighter light than the
                                48 LED lamp discussed in this thread. I have no information regarding the angle of throw but it may be adjustable with the focus control on the flashlight. Nor do I have any run time specifications. But I'm looking for a spec sheet..........

So..someone who has the original Ridgid flashlight with a reading of 18VDC at the lamp socket needs to buy one and report back to the group.

I have seen the new Ridgid LED flashlight in their new kit but no information is given as to what LED is used by Ridgid or any specifications.

I have nothing to do with the cree LED offered on E-bay..this is for information only as some folks here want to replace the incandescent bulb with a LED lamp!

When you visit the fellows listing see his other items for sale as he lists other cree LED lamps...although I suspect all the 18VDC ones are the same.

Cactus Man
                                Last edited by cactusman; 05-12-2009, 09:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X