D.i.y r859 flashlight l.e.d convertion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: D.i.y r859 flashlight l.e.d convertion

The seller only ships within the US, so I guess I'll try Tucson's conversion instead.
    I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Originally posted by tinmack View Post
      The seller only ships within the US, so I guess I'll try Tucson's conversion instead.

How did it turn out ?

Comment

Originally posted by Tucson View Post
        How did it turn out ?
        I still haven't bought the bulb(s) I need - went away on a biz trip and forgot to buy 'em on eBay....

Haven't forgotten about it, thanks for asking/reminding me.

Will let you know when it gets done.
        I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Update ...

flashlight still going strong without a problem

Comment

hi Tucson, My modified flashlight is also performing flawlessly!

Since doing the modification I found other LED replacement options such as
            a direct for CREE LED simply remove the original lamp and plug this in. It's around $20.00
            I also saw another 1-3W LED lamp using the socket design similar to the 48led lamp.

I find the original LED bulb you suggested a long running [low current draw]
            wide type beam as many LED types are 30 degrees or less. I have over 5 hours of run time and still no indication of battery fatigue.

By the way, when the battery does run down does the LED flicker or just quit? I have yet to experience the battery being used up [so to speak].

The light is also easy on the eyes although quite bright.
            I was working in a tight area in the van one night and the light was perfect.

Of course since you discussed this modification Ridgid has introduced a 1W LUXEON 18v
            LED work light. Sadly it's only found on E-bay at ridiculous prices or in a Home Depot
            kit if you can find it.

Cactus Man
            Last edited by cactusman; 09-08-2010, 10:42 PM.

Comment

Guys, glad you have found L.E.D. solutions for your Ridgid tool lights. Just want to remind folks who have Ridgid tool lights "without" the voltage regulator of the r859, that such a conversion will result in a blown L.E.D. cluster. Our model tool lights feed whatever the battery voltage is directly to the bulb receptacle. 21.5 volts is just too much for these 18volt rated lights.

Comment

just use a 24V bulb

http://cgi.ebay.ca/MR16-24v-20-LED-H...item4ceae70421

Comment

Has anyone tried the Milwaukee led conversation bulb. They said in was 180 lumen today on phone. I am also looking at the PR2-1WHP 1 watt replacement led. Does anyone have these units. I am mainly interested in just a cleaner distortion free light. and a little longer run time. My r859 last about 3 hrs on 18v lithium ion battery.

Comment

Broken Arrow, you may want to verify the LED bulb you're considering is able to run with 18VDC!!!!!

Otherwise you'll destroy the LED in moments.

Since this topic originally started there has been a lot of progress in LED replacement bulbs etc.
                    In fact Ridged makes a Luxeon LED flashlight. Around $30.00 on E-Bay
                    Perhaps you can locate a parts list and order the LED...as it runs on 18VDC

By the way, all the Mag-Lite LED replacement lamps you see at Home Depot and Lowe's WILL NOT work in the Ridgid flashlight you have.

Cactus Man

Comment

Here is the link for the Milwaukee LED upgrade. Hard to believe it has a voltage range of 12 to 28?
                      http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CCsQ8wIwAg#

Comment

Does anyone have a link to a led bulb that would work in the light? I would like to give this a shot but currently all the bulbs I see seem to be too large or too deep to work.

Thanks a bunch!

Comment

AJR660,
                          Go back and read all the postings as there are numerous references to LED lamps and LED bulbs that can fit the stock Ridgid 18v lamp socket.
                          One is by Milwaukee and another on E-bay is rated at around 100 lumens.

Cactus Man

Comment

I am interested in the milwaukee bulb but I never saw anyone saying they used it and it worked. Maybe I missed it. I work for a part of TTI in sales and would like to send the converted light off to my boss for review so I don't want to buy a bunch of led bulbs trying to make one fit.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                              Here is the link for the Milwaukee LED upgrade. Hard to believe it has a voltage range of 12 to 28?
                              http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CCsQ8wIwAg#

That is way to expensive

But I am very tempted to re-visit this MOD and try out the new SMD LED Light bulb MR11 .... They are way brighther...

http://cgi.ebay.ca/NEW-SMD-LED-Light...item3a57552be0
                              Last edited by Tucson; 03-27-2011, 06:50 AM.

Comment

Get you a Surefire L.e.d. flashlight and you will not bother with anything else. Military grade I suggest the E2D L.E.D Defender model.

Comment

Working...
                                X