D.i.y r859 flashlight l.e.d convertion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D.i.y r859 flashlight l.e.d convertion

Hey folks here is the D.I.Y on replacing the Ridgid R859 Flashlight.
    -Test your flashlight to be sure you are using the correct LED's for the job and order a MR16 48 LEDs 12V Wide Angle White Spot Light Bulb Lamp or the 24V equivalent if your flashlight registers over 12V.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/MR16-48-LEDs-12V-...1%7C240%3A1318

- Open up the flashlight by removing the 6 T10 hex and 2 screws.

- Once open remove the switch and cut the wires leading to the socket for the bulb and remove it.

- Solder some wires and reassemble the unit.

- Take the chrome housing and insert the bulb and set it in place with epoxy.

-Once the epoxy set solder the wires to the prongs of the LED Bulb

- Put everything back together

Re: D.i.y r859 flashlight l.e.d convertion

Comment

Nice mod.

Dewalt 36v has a similar board inside, looks like a DC-DC stepdown. If your LED is rated to 32v, you can cut it out completely and get more runtime out of 24v batteries, that stepdown is very wasteful.

PS: If anyone has Bosch 10.8 FL10 flashlight, I have LED replacement bulbs for them ($15 + $2 s/h), draws 60 mA, stock bulb draws 600 mA - ~10x runtime.

Comment

any idea the effect this modification has on LSA registered ridgid tools?
        there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by FINER9998 View Post
          any idea the effect this modification has on LSA registered ridgid tools?
          I'm sure if you made the modification and then brought it in for repair you would have a problem. I used the Terralux toolstar cluster LED in my Ridgid and Ryobi tool lights and the units failed. These cluster LED's get very hot in my experience and may cloud your lense prior to melting. In my opinion a single led bulb 3 watt and the proper circuitry is necessary to make the modification successful. There are too many variables in the above mentioned mods, and voltage, heat and longevity complicate matters. My fully charged 18volt nicad puts 21.5 volts into that light bulb, unless I can regulate a lower voltage and find a LED that stays cool I will wait until the industry catches up with the rest of the world and offers a workable LED solution.

Comment

Here we go again... The Voltage produce by the battery is irrelevant. I don't know how many times I said in a previous post that my 24V gives 12V at the bulb socket and so does my 18V ... You guys need to stop testing the voltage at the battery and test it at the socket. And if you register 14-24V at the socket just get a 24V LED bulb !

And LED's don't even come close to creating the amount of heat that a conventional bulb does. After 4 hours my lens is close to room temperature. So I don't know where you get your facts from but they are wrong when saying it could melt the assembly !!! unless you installed it incorrectly and that would also explain your failures.

As for the LSA I couldn't care less I get my Ridgid tool on eBay and my R859 was 24$. So if my Flashlight ever fails I will just get a new one.

Comment

Originally posted by Tucson View Post
              Here we go again... The Voltage produce by the battery is irrelevant. I don't know how many times I said in a previous post that my 24V gives 12V at the bulb socket and so does my 18V ... You guys need to stop testing the voltage at the battery and test it at the socket. And if you register 14-24V at the socket just get a 24V LED bulb !

And LED's don't even come close to creating the amount of heat that a conventional bulb does. After 4 hours my lens is close to room temperature. So I don't know where you get your facts from but they are wrong when saying it could melt the assembly !!! unless you installed it incorrectly and that would also explain your failures.

As for the LSA I couldn't care less I get my Ridgid tool on eBay and my R859 was 24$. So if my Flashlight ever fails I will just get a new one.
              Tucson, I'm not calling you a liar so please don't think I am mistaken because I took my voltage reading at the socket and it was identical to the battery (no knockdown). I know that LED's are supposed to be much cooler than incandescent bulbs, but there too I know for a fact that the cluster LED's that I used in both my tool lights got so hot they clouded the lens and one unit melted from the heat! I believe your experience and pictures to be truthful, but I mentioned the variables because they are what I have experienced. Trust me, if I read 12 volts at the socket as you did I would have found a different LED and made the mod just like you. I hope yours gives you a real long life, it should. I am disappointed that Ridgid, Ryobi and many other manufacturers have not just offered a LED solution. I am a "Flashaholic" I like flashlights, especially multifuntion LED tacticals. I know that for a very small cost not only can the LED light source be offered, but they could incorporate a strobe and at least two or three levels of brightness. The technology exists and we as consumers would benefit by paying a little more up front and not having to buy light bulbs over and over again. You did a nice job, take care.

Comment

I just read over the other thread. lol... Yeah I dont know why some have voltage stabilizer and some dont.

Comment

I suspect there are various "generations" of flashlights out there.
                  R849, R859, R869 and a 24VDC only flashlight [model number unknown] I suspect it was offered for a short while before the dual voltage line was introduced.
                  Then during manufacture they [TTI] decided to make changes and then you have the R859A or R849A. But since they have a gazillion R849, R859 labels they figure the tool users are just grunt types and have no clue nor care about VER. A or B!

So using a voltmeter [multimeter, VOM] measure the voltage at the light socket.
                  Ensure you use the correct polarity. Battery voltage is moot!

Perhaps some older flashlights used a DC to AC circuit to have the lamp
                  illuminate at 12VAC instead of a DC-DC regulator?

A regular flashlight lamp say a pr-2 is very dumb!
                  It could care less if the voltage is AC or DC!

Maybe [speculation here], Ridgid started with the 18VDC flashlight R849
                  They calculated a 12V industrial flashlight lamp will work OK even with the voltage
                  exceeding the bulb specifications. Then they realized oops 12VDC bulbs don't like 18VDC!

They made a CHEAP type regulator and the bulb is happy. Then they made the R859 flashlight that can run on 18 or 24VDC..Well this changed the dynamic!
                  Yeah they added more rubber around the exterior to show the flashlight is different!

Now they can't use the same circuit from the R849 so they modified the circuit to perhaps regulate the voltage to 12VDC without concern for the what battery is used..18 or 24VDC

I bet if we open an early generation flashlight and compare it to one made in 2009 there will obvious differences.

Bottom line, some flashlights may not measure 12VDC at the lamp socket....BIG DEAL!
                  buy a ready made LED lamp rated at the voltage your flashlight lamp socket!

Now with respect to all the flashaholoics reading this reflector....
                  LEDS are interesting critters. They come today, in a variety of designs.
                  At first all we had were the small T-1 3/4 [5mm] white LEDS. The brightness levels did vary 1500 to +3600MCD. Their viewing angle also varied from 10 degrees to 35 degrees.

We evolved to the 1,3,and 5Watt luxeon type LED devices. Cree is a newer name in this application. CREE Xlamp 7090 1 watt 100 degree viewing angle, 4VDC maximum current 350-700MA

A lot of LED lamps, assemblies, etc are sold without any specifications. All auto store LED lamps [light bulbs] typically have a number of T-1 3/4 LED type lamps in series and parallel with or without a current limiting resistor to ensure the lamp runs at Automobile voltages 12.6-13.6VDC.

Heat is a critical design factor in all LED type flashlights. I discussed this somewhat in the original posting. The LUXEON type 1, 3, 5watt LEDS do put out some serious light! They also generate heat and demand proper regulation and cooling. They are not forgiving and will easily destroy themselves!

Looking at the multiple small T-1 3/4 type lamp/LED flashlights you notice they adjust the number of LEDS for regulation..This can be a bad thing..should a single LED in the circuit fail
                  the entire lamp may fail..Think about the Christmas lights all in series..one bulb goes and you have grief.

The LEDS also will vary..look at the individual LEDS lit in Tucson's photos....
                  Now taking viewing angle into consideration you may see some LEDS seem not as bright! This is also a real occurrence and another reason for having a lot of LEDS so if they are not in series they will still function.

Remember the original INOVA X-5 LED flashlight? it used 5 white bright niachi type LEDS?
                  After initial introduction they then offered the "new improved version" All they did was use the newer/better LEDS.

Now let's discuss light! We have a myriad of technical jargon and specifications that can and are exploited! We have lumens, and throw, just to mention the most obvious. We also have spot light VS flood light!

We all know the incandescent lamp will give you a reasonable amount of lumens at the cost of run time of the battery. We also know the lamp and be focused to provide some flood and spotlight action...although they do have limitations..such as you often get a filament shadow!

The LED usually comes pre-focused....spot or flood wide or narrow beam. Yes some LED type flashlights do use the movable reflector to provide some compromised spot VS flood action. They also modified the reflector from smooth to orange peel.

The end user will dictate what type LED light they want or need to use. Most small LED flashlights ..say the 5-7 LED type running on 3 AAA batteries is used primarily for close in work. It fails miserably at any distance. The LUXEON types do give you a larger viewing angle, longer throw, but eats batteries.

Class dismissed

Cactus Man
                  Last edited by cactusman; 04-05-2009, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Yeah! That's what I was think'in.

Comment

I'm confused.How does all this affect my candle in a Mason jar with air holes in the lid??

Comment

Heat can be generated by a current limiting resistor and not necessarily by the LED itself. Also, the circuit in the light might be a PWM and if you have a crappy DMM it won't show the RMS voltage.

Comment

Ok my flashlight has been on for 15 hours now and the lens is just over room temperature. and I still got 1 Red lights of power
                          Last edited by Tucson; 04-06-2009, 04:05 AM.

Comment

Thanks for your work on this project Tucson.
                            I received the 12v 48LED MR16 base lamp in the mail this afternoon.

I have the flashlight with 12VDC at the lamp socket and I run 18VDC batteries.

I found the modification very easy to accomplish. Actually I spent more time getting the
                            Hako-936 soldering station running, getting the tools, and then cleaning up.

I did find the hole for the lamp assembly in the gray plastic part that held the original lamp socket needed to be enlarged. I used a large step drill and then smoothed the final hole.

I used heavy duty hot glue. The glue is the brown opaque color..not the white or clear sticks. A little goes a long way. Since the lamp does not generate a lot of heat I hope it will hold.

I did clean the reflector and plastic lense before final assembly...No finger prints here!

This was a lovely modification to a very nice flashlight.

Just before soldering the lamp to the flashlight I hooked up an ammeter and measure about 100ma [0.100A]. So this means about 1.2 Watts, and with a 3 amp hour rated lithium battery I should expect around 30 hours of run time.

The illumination is very even and does throw a nice wide beam. The light does not have shadows or other distortion the incandescent lamp has.

I suspect the lamp has no regulation in its guts? So, I will assume the Ridgid internal voltage regulator will keep 12VDC at the lamp until the battery is pooped.

I strongly recommend this modification.

Materials used: #22gauge stranded wire, small heat shrink tubing, some hot glue, and
                            some solder.
                            Time from start to finish including clean up was approximately 30 minutes.
                            Cost of the MR16-48LED lamp a few bucks E-bay via Tucson's instructions in his other posting.

Lamp specifications: lumens 14,000-16,000mcd
                            view angle 30-45 degrees
                            color temperature 5000-6500K

Cactus Man

Comment

Cactus Man we need some pics

How come you didnt remove e Grey plastic housing ? or do you have a different model hen me ?

Comment

Working...
                              X