Impact Driver vs. Drill/Drivers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impact Driver vs. Drill/Drivers

What are the differences or benefits of Impact Drivers vs. Drill/Drivers (with clutch settings) for driving screws, bolts, etc. ?

Thanks,
    Dan

Re: Impact Driver vs. Drill/Drivers

Originally posted by Dan2312 View Post
    What are the differences or benefits of Impact Drivers vs. Drill/Drivers (with clutch settings) for driving screws, bolts, etc. ?

Thanks,
    Dan
    Impact drivers are capable of much more torque but they are noisy and less desirable for light duty applications.

Drill/Drivers are quieter and more of a "finesse" tool for smaller applications.

Examples......lag bolts--> impact drivers

cabinet hinges or even 3 inch screws--> drill/driver

Honestly, I rarely use different torque settings. When you get a feel for the performance of the tool you can usually avoid over-tightening just by being careful.

Comment

For me:

If I'm driving any kind of screw the first thing I reach for is the battery impact driver. (14.4V Makita) I first used battery drills but once you use an impact I don't think you'll go back.

They give a "rat-a-tat-tat" as they torque into the fastener. Think of an internal hammer hitting the end of the driver just as it's turning. (I think technically it's before the turn but really doesn't matter)

This process gives you great turning power in a smaller package with very little cam out or stripping of fasteners that is common with battery drills. Also much less turning torque on the tool transferred to the hand of the user.

They both have there place. Holes that need drilling-correct size battery drill.

Fasteners-Correct size battery impact driver.

J.C.
      Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 04-04-2009, 04:46 PM.

Comment

I really like the small impact drivers....very little stripping of screw heads, and they require less pushing. They can drive with more torque per volt of power than standard drills.

Comment

I have just started using am impact driver and for driving any kind of screw it is superior. I don't have to push hard to try to keep it from stripping and I can run the screw up with one hand.

Comment

For driving and removing fasteners the impact driver is the tool you'll want.

For drilling holes you'll want a drill.

Each tool has it's place and while there is some crossover it's a real comprise. If I had to go for just one, I would use a drill-driver as I have for a long time. They can drive and remove screws, but not as well as an impact driver. Please don't confuse an impact driver with an impact wrench.

Comment

remember, an impact driver isn't like a hammer drill, which oscillates the drilling action perpendicular to the surface into which a fastener is driven. an impact driver increase the rotating force of the motor as it applies additional force parallel to the surface into which the fastener is driven.
              there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Makita makes an oil-filed impact that doesn't make a hammering noise, sounds like a quiet drill on low RPM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan2312 View Post

Thanks,
                  Dan
                  As has already been mentioned generally the impact is for driving screws except the very small and the drill is for drilling. The imact is very superior for driving screws especially for commercial contractors who do it all day. We could not imagine going back to drill drivers now.
                  The advantages of the impact for driving screws are:
                  1-Bit tends to stay in screw head better (doesn't jump out and put a gouge across that nice cabinet)
                  2-Impact won't catch and twist the arm like a drill will when driving screws. Continuing on that same theme we have found that running an impact all day putting in 3" deck screws is much easier on the wrist and elbow than using a drill.
                  3-Depth control when driving large screws is much easier with the impact than the drill.
                  4-The impact is definately noisier than the drill and at first some of our people were using ear protection, however as we have become acclimated all of us have stopped using protection. Yes, most of us already have hearing issues due to loud music!
                  Hope this is useful......Ray

Comment

Just used the Ridgid impact to remove the lugs on my car! I would not recommend others do it but it worked for me. I really should breakdown and get the proper 1/2: heavy duty cordless impact. Maybe when the economy improves?

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                      Just used the Ridgid impact to remove the lugs on my car! I would not recommend others do it but it worked for me. I really should breakdown and get the proper 1/2: heavy duty cordless impact. Maybe when the economy improves?

Grab it, it's dirt cheap. This is an authorized dealer too

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Dewalt-DC800KL-36...3286.m20.l1116

Comment

Can't afford to spend $400.00 , but if I was going to buy today this is what I would get.
                        http://cgi.ebay.com/Bosch-18v-Cordle...3A1%7C294%3A50

Comment

Can't afford to spend $400.00 , but if I was going to buy today this is what I would get.
                          http://cgi.ebay.com/Bosch-18v-Cordle...3A1%7C294%3A50

that;s 400 cad or 300 USD.

Also, bosch has a fraction of Dewalt's runtime (about 40%).

Comment

what model did you use?

Comment

Originally posted by pesciwasp View Post
                              what model did you use?
                              R842301. I was impressed that it could remove the wheel lugs, but I will not do this again. I think there is a risk of damaging the tool, and I might as well buy the proper tool for the job. I saw a brand new milwaukee on ebay with 270ftlbs of torque. Kit comes with two batteries and charger. The chuck on that model is the 5/8ths quick release, so I will have to buy a 5/8th to 1/2 inch adapter. I was hoping Ridgid would offer the 1/2 inch heavy duty impact wrench, but doesn't appear to be in their plans.

Comment

Working...
                              X