X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cordless and Hybrids

Who knows what we may see around the corner for battery technology, but assuming we are stuck with what is out there today, I'm curious about a few things.

There are some cordless tools out there that sometimes, even with the most robust lithium ion battery amp hour and voltage rating, might still not cut the mustard, when you question whether or not you need a corded tool. A few that come to mind off of the top of my head would be a true rotary hammer drill with a chipping function, and a sawzall.

For example a guy running a cordless rotary hammer drill, say a 36 volt for example, would probably be quite satisfied with it's drilling performance, and charges with what we have today. But some guys when they go to chipping might require a bit more run time and this is where the hybrid technology might come in with a corded adapter. I think I might be able to say the same thing for a sawzall. There might be someone who wants to only make a few cuts, but what if you are doing some absolutely rock solid serious demo for hours on end where you know you're going to just be changing batteries the entire time - the time when you question why you bought the cordless tool.

Circular saws, I personally think that cordless circular saws really do cut the mustard today. AT least I"m happy with my V28. Cordless drills seem to be more than adequete in my opinion to make most users happy with their run time, even under heavy use.

So I'm curious of your thoughts on this matter - if a corded adapter is a worthwhile option for some cordless tools?? I think in at least a rotary hammer, and a sawzall they do make sense.

Re: Cordless and Hybrids

Corded adapters and battery eliminators have been brought up by members a number of times over the years, myself being one of them. However, while many saw the utility and convenience of them the idea never really seemed to catch on. Many said their current corded tool would work better as a back up than a cordless adapter as the motors usually have more power. Another argument is that a cordless tool with an adapter still leaves a single point of vulnerability, the tool itself. If it craps out then you have nothing, but if you have a corded tool to fall back on then you are still making money though maybe w/o the convenience of cordless technology.

If they were offered at a low price or as part of a kit, they might sell or entice some people into buying a kit. But if they try to price them the same as a battery or higher they will never go anywhere. Somewhere around $19 to $29 is all I would be willing to pay for one, and whether to buy or not would still depend on its features and design.
    Last edited by Bob D.; 04-06-2009, 05:21 AM.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
    X