Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

18V Kit vs. 24V Kit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 18V Kit vs. 24V Kit

    I bought the R964 18V kit at HD recently, but noticed they had a 24V kit (R931?) for $299.

    It looks like Ridgid has done away with th 24V kits, and I saw some posts with people just having problems getting 24V batteries.

    What is the general feeling on the 24V stuff, esp. since it is discontinued?

    Most of the tasks for these tools will be home improvement type stuff. I can still take the 18V kit back if it makes sense.


    Thanks,

    Chris

  • #2
    Re: 18V Kit vs. 24V Kit

    i have 3 combo kits, 9212, 9213 and 932. the 932 is 24V li. the li batteries weigh less than the comparable 18v nicads and the power is consistent right up to the point where they need to be recharged. i have no experience with 18v li, but i assume the power would be the same as teh 18v nicads but with the no fade perdormance of the li's.
    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: 18V Kit vs. 24V Kit

      I've got the 24v kit, along with the maxselect jigsaw, planer, impact, and caulking gun. Personaly, I like them alot. They have alot of power and all work well. The only one that's not up to par is the impact, but I got it for free, so I can't complain. Plus, I got most of them on clearance.

      I did have a problem with the batteries in my first kit, but they were replaced for free and I haven't had any further problems. It's my understanding that it was mostly the early 24v batteries that were trouble prone. So, over all I'm happy with my purchase.

      With that being said, if I were buying them today, I would probably buy the 18v kit. The biggest reason is I would be concerned about the availability of the 24v batteries down the road. I'm not sure how long Ridgid will make the 24v batteries, or what they will do if you need one replaced and they don't have any.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: 18V Kit vs. 24V Kit

        Originally posted by sumocomputers View Post
        What is the general feeling on the 24V stuff, esp. since it is discontinued?
        Most of the tasks for these tools will be home improvement type stuff. I can still take the 18V kit back if it makes sense
        The Ridgid 24V was a good concept but poorly marketed. The hammerdrill produced a lot of torque but it was huge and heavy. The 24V batteries are difficult to find and the MaxSelect 18/24V power tools are clearanced.
        The new 18V X3 lineup is more compact and keeps the Ridgid lineup competitive with other brands. Check out the specs for the X3s for comparison with your R964. Either set should provide enough power for your project. If not, bring out the corded stuff.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: 18V Kit vs. 24V Kit

          Originally posted by Hottrodd View Post
          I've got the 24v kit, along with the maxselect jigsaw, planer, impact, and caulking gun. Personaly, I like them alot. They have alot of power and all work well. The only one that's not up to par is the impact, but I got it for free, so I can't complain. Plus, I got most of them on clearance.

          I did have a problem with the batteries in my first kit, but they were replaced for free and I haven't had any further problems. It's my understanding that it was mostly the early 24v batteries that were trouble prone. So, over all I'm happy with my purchase.

          With that being said, if I were buying them today, I would probably buy the 18v kit. The biggest reason is I would be concerned about the availability of the 24v batteries down the road. I'm not sure how long Ridgid will make the 24v batteries, or what they will do if you need one replaced and they don't have any.
          What is your complaint with the impact driver, I used my 24 volt and my 12 volt impact to build a patio fence for my bar, they both worked great. The 24 volt faster and stronger though. I was driving 3" screws in dog ear to 2x6, to 6x6x8 posts. Also used my RIDGID 12" miter saw, and my new portable job site table saw. All the RIDGID tools we used kicked ***!!!!

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: 18V Kit vs. 24V Kit

            Appreciate the replies.

            I am going to stick with the 18V kit.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: 18V Kit vs. 24V Kit

              Originally posted by pesciwasp View Post
              What is your complaint with the impact driver, I used my 24 volt and my 12 volt impact to build a patio fence for my bar, they both worked great. The 24 volt faster and stronger though. I was driving 3" screws in dog ear to 2x6, to 6x6x8 posts. Also used my RIDGID 12" miter saw, and my new portable job site table saw. All the RIDGID tools we used kicked ***!!!!
              It's not so much that the impact doesn't do a good job, but it's not as fast as the 18v or the 14.4v. If you do a search, you will find that this is a common complaint with it.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: 18V Kit vs. 24V Kit

                not to fan the impact driver fire , but i have 2 14.4v impact drivers and a family menber has an 18v impact driver that was part of a 5pc 18v combo kit. much to our collective surprise, the 14.4 has more "oomph" than the 18v. just my $.02 FWIW.
                there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: 18V Kit vs. 24V Kit

                  Originally posted by FINER9998 View Post
                  not to fan the impact driver fire , but i have 2 14.4v impact drivers and a family menber has an 18v impact driver that was part of a 5pc 18v combo kit. much to our collective surprise, the 14.4 has more "oomph" than the 18v. just my $.02 FWIW.
                  what about battery lasting time? Which one wins and how much longer does it last than the other?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: 18V Kit vs. 24V Kit

                    Originally posted by pesciwasp View Post
                    what about battery lasting time? Which one wins and how much longer does it last than the other?
                    Pesci.....We have a couple of the 14.4 impacts and several of the MaxSelect impacts. Unfortunately the statements are true. The 14.4 will run circles around the MaxSelect in 18 or 24V mode. This becomes more true with the longer 3-4" screws. We have never actually run a timed test however I believe the 24V MaxSelect will run longer on a single battery than the 14.4 using the Max 2.5Ah battery, however it is not an issue. The MaxSelect using an 18V batt isn't in the converstion as it is worthless. There is a test done on Tools on Line http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/indus...143&artnum=1of the various impacts and unfortunately the MaxSelect came in dead last. They rate the Makita in 1st place and based on my experiance with using this brand owned by other contractors I would have to agree. It is a very sweet tool. Very light, beautiful ergonomics, fast and powerful. The guys around here who have them tell me they hold up well too. We have talked about getting the Makita impacts however the problem of adding another battery/ charger package to the tools our guys have to carry around now has stopped us. We made a major commitment to Ridgid three years ago and currently have in excess of 60 Ridgid 18V and 24V tools as well as the 14.4V impacts.
                    I have been beating on Ridgid to come up with a competative impact and was hoping the new X-3 might be the one, however that doesn't seem to be the case.....Ray
                    Last edited by roadrashray; 04-08-2009, 08:59 AM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: 18V Kit vs. 24V Kit

                      i'd have to echo ray's comments. we've never done a head to head "scientific" test of the two drivers, but 3 family members building 2 different outdoor decks and all using each tool randomly came to the same overall opinion. i wish someone could explain why a lower voltage tool outperforms what appears to be the same tool using more powerful batteries.
                      there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: 18V Kit vs. 24V Kit

                        Originally posted by FINER9998 View Post
                        i'd have to echo ray's comments. we've never done a head to head "scientific" test of the two drivers, but 3 family members building 2 different outdoor decks and all using each tool randomly came to the same overall opinion. i wish someone could explain why a lower voltage tool outperforms what appears to be the same tool using more powerful batteries.
                        only thing i can think of is maybe the higher the torque the lower the rpms? Not sure if that makes sense but seems to be consistant looking at the 4 impacts and their specs. (4 being 14.4 24 and the two 18 volt impacts)

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: 18V Kit vs. 24V Kit

                          I run the 14.4, and love it. When I originally bought it, I was told it produced more torque than the Dewalt 18v Impact available at the time. I can't wait to get one of the little 12v deals.
                          Last edited by jshafer73; 04-10-2009, 12:22 AM. Reason: mis-spelling

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X