Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buy a 24V Kit just for the batteries?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Buy a 24V Kit just for the batteries?

    I ended up with the 18V R964 kit, and I also bought the WD2450 Vacuum last night for $36 on clearance. But I was reading that 24V batteries are what make the vacuum have even better suction

    So....

    I was think they also have the R931 24V Kit that comes with 2 batteries for $299. I figured I could eBay everything but the batteries, and probably get 2 batteries for around $100 or so. Does that make sense to do? What does everyone else do to stock up on extra batteries? It just seems silly to buy a single battery at almost $100.


    Thanks,

    Chris

  • #2
    Re: Buy a 24V Kit just for the batteries?

    Originally posted by sumocomputers View Post
    I ended up with the 18V R964 kit, and I also bought the WD2450 Vacuum last night for $36 on clearance. But I was reading that 24V batteries are what make the vacuum have even better suction

    So....

    I was think they also have the R931 24V Kit that comes with 2 batteries for $299. I figured I could eBay everything but the batteries, and probably get 2 batteries for around $100 or so. Does that make sense to do? What does everyone else do to stock up on extra batteries? It just seems silly to buy a single battery at almost $100.


    Thanks,

    Chris

    Chris,

    Do remember that the 24v batteries require a different charger than that which you received with your 18v combo purchase. So, if you buy a kit to sell on ebay keep the batteries and the charger and sell the remaining 3 pieces. The good thing about the purchase when you register the items you will have lifetime replacement on the charger/batteries. Good luck with your decision.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Buy a 24V Kit just for the batteries?

      Originally posted by Spinalzo View Post
      Chris,

      Do remember that the 24v batteries require a different charger than that which you received with your 18v combo purchase. So, if you buy a kit to sell on ebay keep the batteries and the charger and sell the remaining 3 pieces. The good thing about the purchase when you register the items you will have lifetime replacement on the charger/batteries. Good luck with your decision.
      That is a good point about the charger. I found a 10% off HD coupon finally, so that will save me some $$ as well.

      I have a feeling this Lifetime Replacement/Warranty thing is causing me to buy tools I don't need. So now I am going to invent some projects to use the tools on...

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Buy a 24V Kit just for the batteries?

        Originally posted by sumocomputers View Post
        That is a good point about the charger. I found a 10% off HD coupon finally, so that will save me some $$ as well.

        I have a feeling this Lifetime Replacement/Warranty thing is causing me to buy tools I don't need. So now I am going to invent some projects to use the tools on...
        Chris,

        You're hooked. Happened to me every time there was a sale that was too good to pass upon. Don't know when you started buying, but there's been some good sales in previous year that wouldn't take "no" for an answer. It looks like it's slowed a bit with the economic downturn, but who knows.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Buy a 24V Kit just for the batteries?

          Originally posted by sumocomputers View Post
          I ended up with the 18V R964 kit, and I also bought the WD2450 Vacuum last night for $36 on clearance. But I was reading that 24V batteries are what make the vacuum have even better suction

          So....

          I was think they also have the R931 24V Kit that comes with 2 batteries for $299. I figured I could eBay everything but the batteries, and probably get 2 batteries for around $100 or so. Does that make sense to do? What does everyone else do to stock up on extra batteries? It just seems silly to buy a single battery at almost $100.


          Thanks,

          Chris
          I bought a set for that reason, batteries cost $130 each + tax and shipping!

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Buy a 24V Kit just for the batteries?

            I have been looking for the Vac but can not find any. Can you post a SKU or UPC code so I can search?
            Thanks

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Buy a 24V Kit just for the batteries?

              Originally posted by Andrew M. View Post
              I have been looking for the Vac but can not find any. Can you post a SKU or UPC code so I can search?
              Thanks
              I will try to remember when I get home.

              It was weird though. They had 2 on one of the "Clearance" end caps. One box had $49.00 the other $36.00. The $36.00 one had the mutli purpose attachment, so of course I grabbed that one.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Buy a 24V Kit just for the batteries?

                Model # WD2450
                UPC 648846003092

                Grab it as soon as you can. The 18v Lith-Ion batts work well in it too. I use 2 of them for my wifes cleaning business. I have used them as the dust collector on my workbench, and hooked them directly to saws and sanders via adapters.

                If anything, buy it to discharge ni-cad batteries before recharging every now and then to maintain the charge capacity.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Buy a 24V Kit just for the batteries?

                  Fully discharging batteries is something folks used to do in the 'old-days' to eliminate memory effect.

                  Not required these days as power tool batteries are not susceptable to memory effects.

                  By deliberatly discharging batteries really low, you can potentially damage them. Not recommended.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Buy a 24V Kit just for the batteries?

                    Originally posted by Calder View Post
                    Fully discharging batteries is something folks used to do in the 'old-days' to eliminate memory effect.

                    Not required these days as power tool batteries are not susceptable to memory effects.

                    By deliberatly discharging batteries really low, you can potentially damage them. Not recommended.
                    I think the previous poster specified discharging Ni-Cad, which I am pretty sure are susceptible to memory effect.

                    I have finally phased out all my Ni-Cads (and my Ni-Mh) with all Ridgid Li-Ion for that reason.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Buy a 24V Kit just for the batteries?

                      I was talking about NiCd batteries. Memory effect only occurs in the batteries when they are repeatedly discharged to the same point every time. With power tools, the level of discharge is different every time you place it on the charger. The result is; no memory effect.

                      If you over discharge a battery, such as by placing it in the vacuum, leaving it on and forgetting it is there, you can permanently damage the battery.

                      I don't think any power tool manufacturer recommends fully discharging the batteries. I think you will find that all of them recommend you stop using the battery and place it on the charger when the tool shows obvious power loss.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X