Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Rigid R86006 18V Drill

Hey guys,

I just bought my first Rigid product after much debate and research. I do have a question.

I purchased the Rigid R86006 18V Cordless Drill and have recently begun my first project. I'm building a loft style bedframe for my bed as my room is very small and I need storage space. Both batteries came with no charge, and I charged them to full about 4 days ago. 2 days ago I put together some 2x6s with 36 screws - about half 3" and half 2 1/2 ". Today I made 22 2 1/2 " holes with a 3/16th bit. The battery died.

Now that isn't a horrible amount of work, but I was expecting to get further then 36 screws and 22 holes. While the battery was going I had an enormous amount of power - drilling was a breeze. I've read though that sometimes it takes a few charges before you really get a full charge and see how much a battery will do.

My question is simply is that true. Will it take a few charges before I start seeing more production off one battery, or is that about what I'm going to get?

Re: Question about Rigid R86006 18V Drill

Yes it will

Comment

They say you need several charge cycles of NiCd batteries to get their full capacity, but this is not true of the Li batteries you have with your drill. The first charge cycle should be it's best. It will not be noticeable, but subsequent charge cycles will actuially be slightly degraded. Li batteries supposedly start losing 'life' from the date of manufacture.

These are the smaller compact batteries with this drill. 22 x 2.5 in deep holes is quite a bit of work. Depends on the material you were drilling into as to how much of a work out this really was for the drill. Also, the 36 screws is not necessarily a small feat either; again. it depends on how big the pilot holes were, the material being used, and how hard the drill had to work to seat the screws.

Comment

While the battery that comes with the tool helps keep the weight down, there is some sacrifice in run time given that is 1.5 amp hours. I always keep an extra battery on the charger or use the bigger 3 aH battery (which will add both weight and run time.) Glad you liked the power.

Comment

I do keep an extra battery on charge as well. The wood was pretty soft - the drilling was no problem at all for the drill. The screws went in rather easily - no pilot holes - a few times I guess I did back it out and screw it back in to get it set deeper. They charge quickly too so I guess no real issue.

The power and feel of the drill were fantastic. I was having to be extremely careful not to drill too fast and pass my line.

Comment

Originally posted by Vulash View Post
            I do keep an extra battery on charge as well. The wood was pretty soft - the drilling was no problem at all for the drill. The screws went in rather easily - no pilot holes - a few times I guess I did back it out and screw it back in to get it set deeper. They charge quickly too so I guess no real issue.

The power and feel of the drill were fantastic. I was having to be extremely careful not to drill too fast and pass my line.
            I am curious to see if your batteries charge length does improve over time. Some of these batteries we get may have been on a shelf for a year or more.

That is why I bought Ridgid - I know that they will replace batteries for free if they are not performing reasonably well (even if they were sitting on a shelf for 2 years).

Comment

Same here. I'm a DIY'er so the warranty/service agreement are perfect. If something goes wrong I can wait a few weeks to have it fixed - especially at the cost of new batteries. Having grown up in a construction home, however, I couldn't see myself buying DIY quality tools - so I gave Rigid a try.

Comment

The manual says:

To obtain the longest possible battery life, we suggest the following:

For lithium-ion batteries:

Remove the battery pack from the charger once it is fully charged and ready for use.

I know this can be a problem with NiCd batteries because the 'trickle-charge' mode can eventually overcharge the battery reducing it's life. Why does Ridgid also recommend removing the Li batteries. What is the potential problem with leaving them on the charger.

I raise this question because the one of the Ridgid reps is recommending keeping a battery on the charger. In reading his comment, I get the impression it is OK to leave the battery on the charger until it is needed, which could be days, or even weeks, in some cases.

Comment

I have to be honest so far I am not impressed - I may return it. I'm building a small loft is all - not that large of a project. Because I'm coming in close to the board the front grip part you hold to change bits while is spins is all beat up, and the shock absorbing material right behind the gear adjustment is already coming apart on both sides. I've probably got about 3 total hours using the drill, and I am not abusing it - I'm being careful as I come in from the side - something I've done many times before without issues.

Comment

Yeah. Me neither. Hopefully you will get more than 6 months use out of your batteries.

Comment

Originally posted by gatorsam View Post
                      Yeah. Me neither. Hopefully you will get more than 6 months use out of your batteries.
                      Did they replace them? Short battery life is a problem for all manufacturers now

Comment

I have been using ridgid for 3 years. Bought in on the lifetime warranty. I have only had to service one thing, and it was a dual charger that went bad. I have 5 ni-cad batts and 2 Li-Ion batts. I have received great power and run time from them all, but do recognize the difference in batteries. Just as different are the model of drivers Ridgid produces, the batteries are a bit diff as well. The amp hour rating on the batts tells you alot. I use the 2.5 Mah ni cads and I de-charge them in my Ridgid cordless shop-vac once a month. Your Lith-Ions should perform well. If you are not satisfied, contact your local service rep and have them replaced. Its obvious I support ridgid. I like them. I even have the new 12v driver, its cool.

P.S. I looked at the pic of your driver, and can understand your frustration with the "No-Mar" overmold around the chuck housing coming off. Its a bad part of the driver to put it. Not necessary. Probably just part of making it look cool.

Comment

Working...
                        X