X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hammer drill

I'm in the market for a corded drill. I'll be using this drill from everyday drilling/driving around the house - but also need it to occasionally drill through brick and concrete.

Is a corded hammer drill the best option? In my mind a good corded hammer drill is basically a drill/driver with the added "hammer" functionality. That way I'm free to get a lighter cordless drill/driver which I can use for those smaller jobs.

Am I right that a hammer drill is "close" to the same as a regular drill/driver with the extra hammer feature? I won't be doing much brick and concrete drilling so a rotary drill would be overkill.

Here is the drill I'm looking at.

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/webapp/..._192175_192137

Thanks for any help.

Re: hammer drill

Yes that sounds just fine. You may also look at the porter cable 1/2" hammer drill.
    Any 1/2" hammer drill will be a bit on the heavy side so keep that in the back of your mind when deciding what to purchase. If possible hold the unit prior to buying to experience balance and feel, they do vary.

Ridgid and others do make battery/cordless hammer drills. But I have found for serious hammer drill use you can't beat a corded model.

On the other hand..if you are just starting to assemble your portable power tools etc. You may want to consider the Ridgid 18v kit with the hammer drill.
    The drill is just fine and for those times you need to drill into block or concrete it will serve you well.

Most corded hammer drills have a keyed chuck and most battery operated hammer drills offer a key-less chuck. There are various opinions as to which chuck performs better in the hammer mode. I have used both and if I'm drilling more than one or two holes in concrete, I prefer the keyed chuck and the corded unit. I have the Porter cable 1/2 hammer drill and a Ridgid 1/2 18v hammer drill.

When others chime in you may find a variety of opinions.

Cactus Man

Comment

Lots of good/smaller hammer drills in the size & range you posted.

I've never heard of anyone being dissatisfied with:

Milwaukee
      Makita
      Bosch
      Hitachi
      Dewalt
      Hilti

Ridgid might be great too but I don't know many people nor myself with experience with them.

Main thing is to get the right size drill for your application. Some get smaller drills that can hold larger bits because of universal chucks. Then they "push" the drill and burn the motor out & act like the manufacturer is at fault and makes bad tools. Not necessarily so.

Get one that's the right size or a little larger than you think you'll need and I think you will be happy.

J.C.

Comment

I have at my disposal a Ridgid 18V hammer, 6 amp VSR hammer and a 1000 W rotary. The 18V gets the call for most of the work up to 7/8" brick and mortar for outside taps and such. The only time the others see action is for serious holes in solid concrete.
        For most home owners an 18V hammer and an 18V impact for screws is the perfect combo IMO.

Comment

It sounds like you're looking for one drill to take care of all your needs. If your budget requires this than I think the 1/2" hammer drill is your best option. But you're going to want a cordless driver at some point. I agree that a corded hammer drill is superior to anything cordless. I have the Milwaukee V28 cordless and it will struggle to get through hard concrete. I recently burned out my Bosch 1/2" HD on some 5/32 holes for Tapcons. It wasn't that old either. I replaced it with a reconditioned 9 amp Milwaukee, but haven't had a chance to test it out yet.

Comment

Thanks guys. Pretty much confirmed what I thought.

I'm a DIY weekend warrior in training - so first off I'm looking for a good reliable corded hammer drill.

I'll be adding a cordless down the road - probably another Milwaukee 18V, but if I have a corded hammer drill could I just opt for a regular cordless drill/driver?

Comment

I agree corded will always be more powerful than a cordless drill. My first drill was corded. I am just a weekend warrior, and have done a few 'bigger' jobs over the years. I don't think I have used the corded drill since I bought my first cordless drill over 15 years ago. I still have the drill, kept it as a back-up, but now I have several cordless drills (including a hammer drill) I probably will never use it.

The problem with a corded drill is that you have to be near an electrical outlet and/or have and extension. It is so much easier to get out the cordless.

Comment

Working...
              X