Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

Bought 2 Kits - which Drill & Sawzall to keep?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought 2 Kits - which Drill & Sawzall to keep?

I ended up buying an 18V kit (R964), and a 24V Kit (R931), mainly to have a mix of battery selection.

I now have two drills and two sawzalls. If I had to decide to keep one of each which one makes sense? I am a home user, that does normal household projects.

I guess I am just looking for some wisdom on whether any of these are "Stinker" models. Also, I didn't want to assume that higher voltage = better tool. Here are the exact models I have:

18V Hammer Drill - R8411503
    24V Hammer Drill - R851150

18V Sawzall - R8442
    24V Sawzall - R854

Thanks

Chris

Re: Bought 2 Kits - which Drill & Sawzall to keep?

For normal around the house use I think that I would keep the 18V drill and the 24V reciprocating saw. My main reason for keeping the larger batteried saw is based solely on the amount of run time you'll get with that vs the 18V battery saw. A battery powered saw needs all the power it can get so the longer lasting 24V battery will make this tool more useful than the 18V version.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Assuming you keep the batteries from both kits, you will have more batteries which you can use in the 24v saw than in the 18v saw. The saws can really drain the batteries quick, and you will be glad you have the extra batteries to use.

Comment

Originally posted by Calder View Post
        Assuming you keep the batteries from both kits, you will have more batteries which you can use in the 24v saw than in the 18v saw. The saws can really drain the batteries quick, and you will be glad you have the extra batteries to use.
        So the 24V saw will work with both the 24V & 18V batteries?

If so, that makes the choice easy for the saw. Is that also the case with the 24V drill?

Comment

Originally posted by sumocomputers View Post
          So the 24V saw will work with both the 24V & 18V batteries?

If so, that makes the choice easy for the saw. Is that also the case with the 24V drill?
          Yes. Keep the 24 volt saw and drill, that way you'll have more options between batteries.

As well, better more power than not enough.

Now, if it was an 18 volt X3 kit rather than X2, I 'd say keep the X3. But in this case I'd keep the 24 volt versions which are MaxSelect and use either 18 or 24 volt batts.
          I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Thanks guys, this is great info.

I know I tried the 24V battery in some of the 18V tools, and of course they didn't fit, so I assumed the other way around wouldn't work either.

I may end up with the Impact Driver and Circular saw as my sole "18V-Only tools", which I am OK with.

Now if Ridgid only made some hard-shell cases...

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by sumocomputers View Post
              Thanks guys, this is great info.

I know I tried the 24V battery in some of the 18V tools, and of course they didn't fit, so I assumed the other way around wouldn't work either.

I may end up with the Impact Driver and Circular saw as my sole "18V-Only tools", which I am OK with.

Now if Ridgid only made some hard-shell cases...

Chris
              I can't remember which kit the circ saw comes with, however I can say the circ saw is the biggest energy hog of them all, and in fact binds very easily even using the 24V batt. Given a choice I would suggest the circ be 24V for much higher performance.
              The same is true for the hammer drill. It's such a heavy beast anyway that you might as well get the additional power and performance for hammer drilling hard stuff and for those large spade or hole saws.
              Ray
              I just looked up the specs for these kits and noticed the RPM for the 18V circ saw is 2500 vs 3900 for the 24V and they state the saw has "reduction gearing for more torque". Both my 24V and 18V circ saws are old style higher RPM and experiance very easy binding. It sounds like Ridgid has addressed this issue with the "reduction gearing" on this newer kit. Do you find this saw has good torque when cutting 2X or 3/4" ply?......Ray
              Last edited by roadrashray; 04-15-2009, 07:48 AM.

Comment

Now after seeing all the positive comments for the 24V stuff (and comparing the two last night), I am taking back the 18V kit. I couldn't believe how much faster the saws ran with the 24V batteries (I know RPMs are not everything), but still...

I am going to try and get at least 4 24V battery packs, 2 chargers, and just the tools I need (I want them all to be 24V capable). I think with some creative kit buying, coupons, eBaying and such, I should be able to accomplish this for not too much $$$.

Thanks for all the help.

Comment

Good luck in your quest. The 24 volt kits are becoming hard to find, and the individual batteries impossible to get.

If you are a fan of the impact, you might want to consider keeping the 18v and the batteries. Run a search for threads on the impact, and you will find there is not much praise for the 24v MaxSelect version. If you keep the 18v batteries, they will work as back-up for the 24v in the MaxSelect tools.

Comment

Originally posted by Calder View Post
                    Good luck in your quest. The 24 volt kits are becoming hard to find, and the individual batteries impossible to get.

If you are a fan of the impact, you might want to consider keeping the 18v and the batteries. Run a search for threads on the impact, and you will find there is not much praise for the 24v MaxSelect version. If you keep the 18v batteries, they will work as back-up for the 24v in the MaxSelect tools.
                    I like the idea of an impact for it's smaller size and weight, mainly for just driving no more than 3" drywall screws into wood though. Given the costs, I figured I might as well just have 2 full-size drills (one for screw bits, one for actual drilling). So I may not even buy another impact, unless it comes in a kit. If the full size drill becomes too heavy, maybe I will look at one of the little guys (9.6V or 12V). In any case, I am sort of sad to leave Panasonic, but not sad to buy into lifetime replacements of batteries.

Comment

Ray, would know best as I think he has the most Ridgid tools and uses them daily. He is objective too.
                      I have all those tools except the 24v recip saw which was the worst in toolsofthetrade.net test. I was using the 18v one, pocket cutting, demo., nail cutting and it is hard to control esp. on a ladder. It has enough power but is so sloppy in the shaft play and the blade clamp is weird as you have to play around with the lever and blade position to inset and remove. I have 3 Milwaukee's; corded;Hatchet and recip in 18v, all are much superior in all aspects. Milwaukee just knows how to build a solid Sawzal . The 24v recip seem better made than the 18v but the performance seem poor by the tests.
                      I used the 24v circ saw and my 18v 3700 rpm De Walt cutting 7/16" OSB as I am sheathing a house. The 24v with a fully charged will bind if any , even light tension occurs on the kerf. The De Walt does not do that. I prefer the Ridgid as it is much smoother and quieter and feels better in my hands. The gear reduction would add torque. The 24V batteries are just not at all what I expected, I was after better performance but they cut out if stressed. 5 had the saw after 1 x cut 4' at the end of the cut , the blade did bind some[I had supports under both sides] and stop. I then started up and was able to finish. Reminds me of my first cordless tools in 1988, the stick 9.6v Makita's would do that due to a thermal limiter if stressed. I feel I am going backwards! The Ridgid circ w. 24 v is very smooth and quiet as I said, very good build even with the composite base. You just can not over stress the saw. I had the stock blade on and I think if I used the Ridgid gold or red Freud it may be better.
                      The Fuego 6.5" corded saw is my favorite but the cordless is just easier witout the cord.
                      The 24v drill is very well made but I suspect it may act the same way due to the battery. the dc925 DeWalt 18v is excellent for heavy duty, 3 speeds, like it even more than my 4 Milwaukee's. The drill I use most however is the 12v Ridgid with 12v max batt. for drilling unde 3/8".
                      The X3 may be the best option. but to answer your question, the 24v is not worth the cost as the performance is not better unless you have max select which run too slow in 18v in most tools. Ridgid just did not make the right design in the 24v battery and tool combos. The x3 seems to be better.
                      Last edited by Andrew M.; 04-16-2009, 09:26 AM.

Comment

I have both 24v & X3. I dont have binding probs with 24v. The X3 cir saw is much slower.I like the 24v because cuts faster. I like X3 because lighter.I like them both. Both have pros & cons, just depends what type of jobs you plan on doing.

Comment

Working...
                        X