X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ryobi cordless tool ?

So I have the Blue Ryobi 18V tools. I need to replace my 1/2" chuck drill it's lasted me a good 4+ years but now it will not shift into Low and it smells like it's burning when I run it.

I know you can use the new 18v lithium batteries with the "older" blue 18v Ryobi cordless tools. My question is, what's the difference between the older blue drill and the new lime-green drill? If the 18v lithium battery works in both drills are the acutal drills the same, just different colors? Will I get the same power, battery usage out of each or is the lime-green better in some way?

I know the new lime-green charger will charge the 18V lithium AND the 18V batteries, where as the older charger will ONLY charge the 18V batteries. Should I upgrade the drill and the batteries or just the drill for now and get batteries as needed?
    Gus
    M40607

Re: Ryobi cordless tool ?

Unfortunately the green tools are not available separately. The come only in kits unless you go to Ebay. If you have many Ryobi One+ tools, the upgrade to lithium in the form of a drill kit is worth it. Especially if you need a new drill. Its difficult to compare the green drill to the blue drills since there are so many different blue drills out there. The first green drill (the P813 not the auto-shift drill) did very well in a recent comparison with professional brands. I have the P813 and it is better than any of the other blue drills I've had, and the lithium batteries perform far better than the NiCads. I have other brands as well but I still like my Ryobis too.

You can also look here for reconditioned tools:
    http://www.cporyobi.com/index.html

Ern

Comment

I don't like my lime green drill as much as the blue one. The lime green one only holds one bit and the chuck seemed not to be as tight. It collects dust and I use my two blue ones.

Comment

Check all the shelves of your local Home Depot. It is possible they may still have a clearance kit. The P813 (non-autoshift drill) kit was on clearance a couple of months ago for $99 (drill, light and 2 Li batteries). The 4-piece kit was also on clearance for $199 again the non-autoshift drill +light +2 saws +2 Li batteries). They still had one of these 4-piece kits in my local HD last Wednesday.

I prefer the new green drill to most of the old blue ones. It doesn't get too much use as I only use it when I need 2 bits at the same time so I don't have to keep changing it.

Comment

I have the older blue drill, the one I'm needing to replace. Not sure of the model number but it was one of the 1st 18v 1/2" drills they made. I have it for a little over 4 years. I like it, it seemed to last pretty well, won't shift into low (1) anymore and it smells like hot/burning when I run it.

The only other thing I noticed is when drilling larger holes, 1&1/2 or 2" holes it can feel the case seperating from the torch of the motor. Not sure if this happens with other drills.

I ended up buying the Ryobi Factory-Reconditioned One+ 18V Cordless Lithium 4-Piece Power Tool Kit on ebay for $169.98 w/ free shipping. Should arrive in 2-7 buisness days.

I would like to get the impact drill too, we have a few at work and they come in handy.
          Gus
          M40607

Comment

If you need a couple more batteries, HD has the impact with 2 NiCd batteriies and a charger for $99.

Comment

I guess it more personal preference, but my blue one collects dust. And as for the batteries: I'll never look back at the ni-cad. It's Lion all the way for me!

Comment

Are you guys having much luck with the 18V batteries from the blue tools? I bought a 4-piece kit about three years ago with a charger and two batteries, and since then I've recieved the sabre saw, roto-zip, and something else as gifts.

Now I have four chargers, five batteries, and only two of them will take any charge at all. The other three can sit on the charger all night, and won't even light the flashlight.

I liked the four-pice set so much I got one for my Dad. Now my brother has it and both batteries are also dead. So that's five dead batteries out of seven in three years or less...
                Steve
                www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

Before the lithium batts. came around I had a half dozen or so NiCds. Some of them lasted a year, and a couple of them lasted as long as four years. I suspect the NiCd batts. are nothing but teasers to make you want to buy the lithiums. Get a green charger and don't leave the batteries in it all night. The green chargers seem to work better on the NiCds. Then, when they die completely, replace them with the lithium batteries. You'll wonder why you did not get them in the first place. They really are that much better.

Comment

Funny this came up. I just picked up the L. I . drill two batt.s and charger after dropping the old blue one off my dock with the last working nicad battery.
                    Mike

Comment

Originally posted by myakka View Post
                      Funny this came up. I just picked up the L. I . drill two batt.s and charger after dropping the old blue one off my dock with the last working nicad battery.
                      Mike
                      Were you able to retrieve it? It would be good to get it out (if possible) and dispose of it properly to avoid contamination of the water.
                      ---------------
                      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                      ---------------
                      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                      ---------
                      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                      ---------
                      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I've got over 25 One+ tools, and have been very satisfied with them. I got the first kit probably 4 years ago... The batteries are finally on their last legs. I had a rotation of 5 NiCd's that I used (and discharged them properly).

The LiOn batteries truly have breathed new life in this line of tools. My only complaint, and this is an aspect of LiOn and not specifically the Ryobi tools, is that they die very suddenly. They're going 95-100%, and then... dead. You might be bent in half, inside a cabinet carcasse or underneath a sink.. there's no warning like with NiCd's...

Anyway... as far as the OP goes.. I saw today that the new Autoshift drill kit (drill, one full size LiOn, one compact LiOn and duo-charger) was now priced at $149, AND you could get a rebate (instant or mail-in, I didn't notice) for the BLUE 18V Impact Driver... arguable my favorite of the whole line. It normally is $69 alone. Heck, the battery and charger run $129... So I view it as quite a nice deal- the compact battery and impact driver are only costing $20.

That's the route I'd recommend for ya. The Autoshift has gotten good reviews, and you get a solid, reliable (and blue!) impact driver as a bonus.

Comment

Working...
                        X