Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
faulty ground on old craftsman tablesaw - need help. Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • faulty ground on old craftsman tablesaw - need help.

    I have an older craftsman tablesaw that has a faulty ground. It started giving me a shock a few weeks ago and I've since stopped using it completely.

    It will trip a GFCI outlet as soon as turned on and if I bypass the switch it still trips.

    I just bought a new Rigid TS3650 (and am very happy) but would like to fix the old one so I can give it away.

    The motor is a Dayton capacity start motor (model 6k484a).

    Any ideas what it could be?.
    I really know very little about motors..

    thanks

  • #2
    Re: faulty ground on old craftsman tablesaw - need help.

    Sal1965,

    First let me tell you that I'm not an electrician... but, I've done some electrical work and hold an amateur radio license (so I've got to know something better than just the 'basics'). Electricity is more dangerous than most people comprehend and your saw, as it presently exists, could prove to be fatal if not properly fixed.

    The saw appears to me to have two problems, first and foremost is that something is "shorting", allowing electricity to flow outside its designed path and into the saw's frame. Secondly, but equally important is that there's no ground path or at least not one which keeps you from getting shocked.

    Normally the path of the electrical current used to operate the saw is isolated (insulated) within the power cord, the switch mechanism, and the motor. There should be NO path between any other component of the saw which allow them to be energized. Likewise, all other conductive areas of the saw need to "grounded" in case that there is a failure of the electrical insulation on these electrical components.

    There's simply a lot of areas on a saw that really need to be checked, both for leaking electricity from failed insulation and loose wires at all terminal points. Vibration, movement, overheating, corrosion, etc., all present problems. Grounding itself, offers other points to be checked at almost every fastening point of the assembly, but grounding itself is only the safety factor that takes care of electricity that has gone astray.

    What I'm trying to say is, if you're not familiar/knowledgeable of electrical practices, I think you'd be safer to get the help of a qualified electrician. A reputable tool repair shop should be able to do this too, especially if the motor is presenting the problem. But, a good electrician should be able to pinpoint the source of the electrical short and/or the loss of proper ground.

    Be safe and I hope this helps,

    CWS

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: faulty ground on old craftsman tablesaw - need help.

      There are different tests that need to be performed on the Craftsman table saw. The proper test instruments don't come cheap. If you can take closeup pictures of the motor wiring that should be step #1 and be sure the power plug is pulled (not plugged in) first.

      As CWSmith said you really need to take safety seriously.

      For your safety please start with an electrician, and also please do take the motor to a motor rebuilding - repair shop to be checked over. Tell them to perform safety checks on it as well as basic checking.

      Look in your yellow pages: Electric motors, rewinding & repair

      This is not a small appliance or a hand held power tool. Such places aren't really equipped properly. You need a place that can do electric motor rewinding work and that has an arbor press, bearing pullers and electrical test instruments.

      Have the receptacle wiring checked and be sure it is well grounded.
      Last edited by Woussko; 04-19-2009, 04:21 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: faulty ground on old craftsman tablesaw - need help.

        start simple look at the on/off switch and power cord. these are the first to go or just fill with sawdust and cause problems. i highly Doubt its the motor itself but stranger things have been known to happen.

        Like i said check the cord and on/off switch First (of corse whith the saw unpluged)

        Comment

        Working...
        X