Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correct way to align TS blade and fence?

I have seen two different methods used when aligning a table saw blade to the miter slot. I'm wondering which is the more correct method, as I get different results with each. For the record, I use a homemade alignment gauge made of a hardwood block, with a hardwood runner. I have a dial indicator mounted in a slot at the front of the block, and secured by a 1/4-20 bolt that clamps the dial indicator tightly within the slot.

The first method is to reference off of a specific tooth on the blade at both a forward and back position. The second is to reference off of the blade itself, without rotating it. I get almost perfect alignment with the first method, but about .005" off when using the second method. Which should I be using?

The second part of my question is about fence alignment. There seems to be two schools of thought on this, as well. One suggested method is to align the fence as close as possible to parallel, both front and back, to the miter slot. Others suggest angeling the rear of the fence slightly (a few thousandths) away from the blade. Again, which is the more correct method, or are both acceptable.

I hope I didn't open up a can of worms with this one.

Re: Correct way to align TS blade and fence?

The first method is to reference off of a specific tooth on the blade at both a forward and back position. The second is to reference off of the blade itself, without rotating it. I get almost perfect alignment with the first method, but about .005" off when using the second method. Which should I be using?..................... I think the choice is obvious, use the first method. It's hard to argue with "almost perfect alignment". Personally, I've never heard of using the second method.

The second part of my question is about fence alignment. There seems to be two schools of thought on this, as well. One suggested method is to align the fence as close as possible to parallel, both front and back, to the miter slot. Others suggest angeling the rear of the fence slightly (a few thousandths) away from the blade. Again, which is the more correct method, or are both acceptable....................... Some claim the angling of the rear of the fence helps eliminate minor binding. If it works for them and their end result cuts are true then more power to them. On the other hand, if your saw's fence, blade and splitter are properly aligned this method shouldn't be necessary.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Re: Correct way to align TS blade and fence?

Yes, what BadgerDave said...............

Comment

Working...
      X