Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best time of year to buy combo kits?

Hello everyone,

I just became a first time home owner and have decided it is time to invest in a set of power tools for projects. I've been browsing Home Depot these past couple weeks and it seems like a Ridgid 18v combo kit would be a good choice for me.

I could buy the tools now, though I was wondering if I could get a better deal if I wait until around Father's day and hopefully finding a set on sale. Also, it seems like there isn't a whole lot of selection on kits from any manufacturer. Are new designs scheduled for release soon?

Re: Best time of year to buy combo kits?

Only the powers that be at HD really know when or even if kits will go on sale. Usually, you can count on some type of price cuts the day after Thanksgiving but there's no guarantee kits will be included on that day.

If price is a major concern then may I suggest you consider buying tools with cords instead of battery operated ones. Although not as convenient as battery powered tools, corded tools offer way more bang for your buck.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I suppose I can sit tight and keep a close eye on combo prices for now. I have a few corded power tools and completely agree about their value. What got me thinking about cordless tools was this past weekend when I was trying to install a garage door opener. Standing on a ladder with a heavy, corded power drill that keeps trying to tangle on the ladder legs wasn't a lot of fun.

Comment

Don't forget to find some 10% off Home Depot or Lowes coupons (HD will take both). In California, at least that pays for the tax...

Comment

Home Depot runs there annual UPD (Ulimate Power Deal) in 3 more days. That's one of the best time's to get a kit.

Comment

I saw that HD has a 10% off coupon for people who are moving, I didn't find out about it until after I moved though. I still did the online registration form with my old and new address and hopefully they'll give me one. I did get a Lowes one last week, though I used it on other items I needed. Saved $70 in addition to the sale price markdowns.

Thanks for the heads up on the UPD Kanxrus, I'll be sure to check out HD on Thursday.

Yesterday I went to HD to pick up some odds and ends and looked at the tool section briefly. There was a Milwaukee 4 piece 18v combo kit that was previously $499 down to $450. I know they make great tools and are always one of the priciest brands, but do they offer anything more than what the Ridgid tools do?

Comment

Has anyone used the Lowes or HD coupons in conjunction with UPD?

What about clearance items with UPD?

I did a little Googling and it looks like most experiences have been no to both of the above.

BTW, you can get Lowes (or HD) coupons on eBay for cheap. I got 6 of them for $4 shipped. Got them the next day. I have used 3 of them, and the cashiers all know what to do with them, and never ask any questions.

Comment

Kanxrus, do you have any details on the UPD? I was in HD last night and they were setting up stands in the isles with lots of tools. No prices on anything. As far as kits go, there was a Ryobi Blue (4-piece) kit and a 'special' Ridgid 3-piece Li kit (Autoshift drill, One-handed recip saw, and mini radio). Lots of Dewalt tools/kits, lots of Milwaukee tools, and lots of Ryobi and Ridgid tools (mostly corded). Are they going to have 'special' pricing, or just do their 10 to 20% off regular price deals they have done in the past?

If the price is right, I might spring for the Ridgid 'Special'. That saw looks neat and useful, and I could use a couple of extra compact Li batteries. Don't need any more drills! When are they (all tool makers) going to offer kits without including drills.

Comment

This was posted on the R4511 saw thread on the woodworking forum.

04-16-2009, 12:22 PM
                  Josh Gerber
                  Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
                  Thread of the Week Award(s): 0

Re: Ridgid R4511 availability?
                  I got my HD statement in the mail last night. Inside was a flyer for a sale going on April 23rd - May 6th. It listed several different brackets for instant rebates. I drove straight to my HD and asked if the R4511 would be included in the "select tolls". He said yes, its the best sale of the year, Black Friday being second. This sales covers a lot of bigger tools as BF is only select tools.

$149 - $299 Save $25
                  $300 - $599 Save $75
                  $600 - $999 Save $150
                  $1000+ Save $300.

I may just shot for $1000. I want to get the tabel saw and either the Ridgid or Mikita Litium drill / driver set. They have both brands in a combo pack at my HD for $179. I have a feeling I know which brand this board would suggest. But does anyone have any input? After reading an article comparing the two plus 3 others, I'm leaning towards the Makita. Any thoughts? They rated the Makita the best overall. Longer lasting charge, shortest charge time, litest, higher rpms.
                  Last edited by OldHunter; 04-22-2009, 07:59 AM.

Comment

Thanks. Looks like you need to spend at least $300 to get a decent discount. If you are intending to spend $1000, you could get up to 30% off.

If you are interested, below are the deals they had in previous years.

$35 Gift Card for purchases between $200-$399 (17.5% - 8.5%)
                    $75 Gift Card for purchases between $400-$599 (19% - 12.5%)
                    $125 Gift Card for purchases between $600 - $1,999 (21% - 6.5%)
                    $500 Gift Card for purchases in excess of $2,000 (25% max)

$35 Coupon for purchases between $199-$399 (17.5% - 8.5%)
                    $75 Coupon for purchases between $400-$599 (19% - 12.5%)
                    $125 Coupon for purchases between $600 - $1,999 (21% - 6.5%)
                    $500 Coupon for purchases in excess of $2,000 (25% max)

$30 Instant Savings for purchases between $149-$299 (20% - 10%)
                    $60 Instant Savings for purchases between $300-$499 (20% - 12%)
                    $100 Instant Savings for purchases between $500 - $699 (20% - 14%)
                    $150 Instant Savings for purchases between $700 - $1,999 (21.5% - 7.5%)
                    $400 Instant Savings for purchases in excess of $2,000 (20% max)

$25 Instant Savings for purchases between $149-$299 (16.5% - 8.5%)
                    $75 Instant Savings for purchases between $300-$599 (25% - 12.5%)
                    $150 Instant Savings for purchases between $600 - $999 (25% - 15%)
                    $300 Instant Savings for purchases in excess of $1,000 (30% max)

Comment

The Ultimate Power Deal is on at Home Depot today, I'm very glad I waited a week to pick up tools. I ended up getting the Milwaukee combo kit instead of the Ridgid one though. It was a really tough decision since they are priced so close. When I checked out the Milwaukee box, it said it had a bonus impact driver ($180 value), not sure if it comes in the box or if it's a rebate deal. Regardless, it basically made it a 5 pc set equivalent to the Ridgid Lithium X3 one. The lifetime warranty from Ridgid was really tempting, though it was priced $50 more than the Milwaukee set. I don't plan on using my tools for heavy duty construction, and I did see that they offer a 5 yr / 2000 charges warranty on the batteries, the most likely component to need any servicing I hope. I also handled the Ridgid and Milwaukee tools they had out, both were nice, but I liked feel of Milwaukee a tad more.

The Makita combo was really nice too, power to weight ratio was very good. I was just a little unsure of what they were sacrificing to make that ratio possible. I know they make good tools, though if the charge duration is lower because of it, I'd rather have the extra weight. It's still priced at $499, and I saw that a previous poster wrote you can get a free tool by rebate, though there was no mention of it on the box, and I couldn't find the warranty details on hand either.

I did end up getting a Ridgid 10" miter saw with the money I saved though, I look forward to trying it out

Comment

I'm thinking of getting the same kit. What was the out the door price? Did you get the $75 off of a purchase of $300-$599 as the ad says?

I also saw this today...wonder if that means another free tool can be had in addition to the impact?

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/attachm...ns/m18-mir.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by wathman View Post
                          The Ultimate Power Deal is on at Home Depot today, I'm very glad I waited a week to pick up tools. I ended up getting the Milwaukee combo kit instead of the Ridgid one though. It was a really tough decision since they are priced so close. When I checked out the Milwaukee box, it said it had a bonus impact driver ($180 value), not sure if it comes in the box or if it's a rebate deal. Regardless, it basically made it a 5 pc set equivalent to the Ridgid Lithium X3 one. The lifetime warranty from Ridgid was really tempting, though it was priced $50 more than the Milwaukee set. I don't plan on using my tools for heavy duty construction, and I did see that they offer a 5 yr / 2000 charges warranty on the batteries, the most likely component to need any servicing I hope. I also handled the Ridgid and Milwaukee tools they had out, both were nice, but I liked feel of Milwaukee a tad more.
                          Ha,ha, I did exactly the same thing, couldn't make up my mind but went with the Milwakee instead of the Rigid, I got the 4 pc boxed and they gave me the driver off the display rack... $50 off the $499 and then the bonus driver then another $75 instant off...
                          I charged one battery up fully and tried all the tools to make sure they run and was surprised at the torque of that driver...
                          Have a good one...Tater...

Comment

Excellent buy on the Milwaukee. Nice, compact size and seem to have a lot of kick. They also have a vacuum, grinder, 1/2 inch impact wrench, and jigsaw - none of which are currently available from Ridgid.

Nice choice - I have the Milwaukee V28 stuff and I love it. Of course I also have a bunch of Ridgid MaxSelect stuff I love too. Pretty hard to get everything you want with one line, but I think the M18 has a great lineup for you or anyone looking for a good tool line.
                            I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gator Tim View Post
                              I'm thinking of getting the same kit. What was the out the door price? Did you get the $75 off of a purchase of $300-$599 as the ad says?

I also saw this today...wonder if that means another free tool can be had in addition to the impact?

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/attachm...ns/m18-mir.pdf
                              Looks like a good double dip to me...........
                              I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Working...
                              X