X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replace Motor on TS2400

I burned up my TS2400 ripping 8' soft pine 2 x 4's. Smelled bad, poured smoke, and stopped. Just three or four easy feeding cuts with an almost new ripping blade. I suspect low power in the circuit, but would appreciate other ideas. I should be able to rip 2 x's all day long ...

I'd appreciate clues on how to get the old motor out. Also the thermal overload switch probably needs to be replaced. What's the technique for removing the power cord grips at the on-off switch to get into the box.

I'd replace the saw, but I just can't bear the idea of throwing the burned up one away, so I'm going to expand my horizons on this one ...

Thank you.

Re: Replace Motor on TS2400

I am guessing that you bought it before the LSA. I do know that if you check with RIDGID and find out who your local service repair shop is and call them, they could probably tell you anything that you need about taking out the motor...tips and specific techniques.
    I had a craftsman table saw that something similar happened one time and while it looked simple to replace the motor, by calling "their local repairman" he showed me a simple way using snap pliers to remove the casing that I never would have thought to do.
    This may not be what you were wanting to hear, if not I am sure someone else will be along with some better advice.

Either way you have a fantastic saw and I would never part with mine(TS2410LS)!!!

Comment

Thanks for your encouragement. I am hoping that someone has a step by step to remove the motor. Close is probably good enough. I don't want to take apart more than I need to to get it out.

Comment

Did you ever get your motor fixed? I just did the same and I don't have the warranty. The replacement motor is more than the cost of the saw???? I considered taking the motor to a shop to see if they can fix/rebuild it. I have had the saw a few years and really like it.
        Any suggestions?

Comment

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/rid...vff4smbcev5kk4

part "c-26"

$300

For what it costs I'd just buy a new one and properly register it. I'd use the old cart for a different tool and save the rest for spare parts or sell on craigslist or ebay.

Comment

I think you are right. It justs hurts to spend $500 to start all over again because one part failed. I was hoping it would a simple part replacement like a washer or dryer.

Comment

If the right part goes on a washer or dryer you'd be in the same boat.

The last time our dryer went out we were able to by a matching pair on craigslist that was newer and in better shape rather than repair the dryer itself.

A member of this forum was selling that model as recently as a few weeks ago. He's from Boerne, TX. If you would like I'll see if it's still available. I know his asking price would at least be around the cost of the motor or less. You two could negotiate from there if it's worth the trip to get it for you.
              Last edited by rofl; 06-05-2009, 09:57 AM.

Comment

If it is a standard frame motor, you can get a replacement. Just get the HP, duty rating, RPM, shaft size and length, and any motor shop can get you a replacement. If Ridgid is too pricey with their spare parts, that is the way to go. Plenty of resources online to give you measurements to identify and cross reference the motor. I would almost guarantee that if you took it to a shop to be repaired, it would not come back with an OEM motor, but rather a cross referenced motor in another brand. But if you live in a town of any size at all there is probably an electric motor shop that could rebuild it. If you carry it in most of them will give you a free estimate.

Comment

It's not just some motor you can grab off a shelf.

It may be possible to rebuild that motor, but I'd be surprised if you'd have any luck finding an off-brand replacement.

Comment

Originally posted by rofl View Post
                    It's not just some motor you can grab off a shelf.

It may be possible to rebuild that motor, but I'd be surprised if you'd have any luck finding an off-brand replacement.
                    EDIT: I just realized that he was talking about the portable saw. I was thinking it was one of the older 3650 predecessors, (2424?) my bad for not paying attention.

Oh well, this might help someone with the belt drive saws!

I just looked at my TS3660, don't know how different the older saws are, but since the older saws were made by Emerson Electric, one of the oldest manufacturers of electric motors, I would bet it IS a standard off the shelf motor. The 3660 motor is as follows
                    1.5 HP
                    3450 RPM
                    Single Phase 115/230V
                    56 Frame
                    TEFC
                    Continuous duty.
                    Any standard 56 frame motor will bolt to my saw. I googled a table of standard motor frame measurements and the motor on my saw matched right up to the 56 frame. The key is TEFC, "totally enclosed fan cooled" which keeps the sawdust out.

Northern tool sells a Leeson (USA) that matches these specs for 249. I would be willing to bet that some googling would find a better deal than that, if you don't mind imports.

Just do a quick google for a frame size chart, take some measurements on your motor and find your frame size and then google around. It is out there. Any belt drive saw is most likely to be a standard frame. Direct drive saws are a whole nother can of worms!
                    Last edited by JTROANOKE; 06-06-2009, 05:29 PM. Reason: Inaccurate information (bad eyes)!!

Comment

Originally posted by rofl View Post
                      If the right part goes on a washer or dryer you'd be in the same boat.

The last time our dryer went out we were able to by a matching pair on craigslist that was newer and in better shape rather than repair the dryer itself.

A member of this forum was selling that model as recently as a few weeks ago. He's from Boerne, TX. If you would like I'll see if it's still available. I know his asking price would at least be around the cost of the motor or less. You two could negotiate from there if it's worth the trip to get it for you.
                      Sure, that would be great. I am new to the forum but I will also try searching for the one that was for sale.

I have replaced many parts (motors, timers, switches) to my washer and dryer at a relatively low cost. They are currenty 15 years old, used daily and still going strong.

Comment

If that saw is a TS2400, it is an old gray and has a lifetime warrenty instead of the LSA, This is the same as mine. If it is a TS2401 orange model or newer the warrenty is 3 years on the motor and still does not concern the LSA which is for expendable parts such as batteries and chucks.
                        info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

I am happy to say it is old and gray. I did find out it was made in 1999 although I bought it at home depot in January, 2002. LIfetime warranty. That is great news. I was having a discussion with customer service on this and they were asking for some details including whether I had the original receipt...which, quite to my surprise, my wife produced.

Comment

I don't have my receipts and I registered all my tools with Ridgid. There are no records now that TTI or whoever took over so My tools stand for them selves. I take it into the shop and say "FIX IT" and they do. E-box wont accecpt my registrations because my tools are too old and I don't have rcpts or bar codes, I have the gray paint to show em though.
                            info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

When you say you take it to the "shop" is that home depot or an authorized serivce agent?

Comment

Working...
                              X