power tool adapter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• power tool adapter

would it work to tak the case of a batery from one brand of tool and part of a tool and put it together to make an adapter to use one brand of batery with another brand tool

Re: power tool adapter

Let me see if I understand what you want to do. You just want to use the empty shell of a battery and run leads from a different brand battery to have it power the tool? If it's the same voltage, I guess it should work.

Comment

Here ya go..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39unm...rom=PL&index=1

Comment

Originally posted by metalmeltr View Post
        would it work to tak the case of a batery from one brand of tool and part of a tool and put it together to make an adapter to use one brand of batery with another brand tool

with NiCd it would work no problem as long as voltage is the same. With li-ion it's a bit different. Dewalt's li-ion will run any other brand no problems. Makita, Bosch and Milwaukee "slim" li-ion will only run light duty tools like flashlights or impact drivers. Bosch "fat" packs would run most dewalt tools. Milwaukee and Makita "fat" (3 Ah) packs would be damaged by Dewalts, Bosch Brute and old milwaukee drills.

Also some tools (dewalt 28/36v for ex) use more than 2 pins (+/-) to connect the battery and you would need to build circuits to cheat the battery into producing max current, otherwise if you connect just + and - you only get 700 mA out of it.

All come down to how much current they can produce. I've built some custom adapters to use makita li-ion on dewalt tools before they came out with their own. I've built some 36v NiMh packs for Dewalt and tool power was insane.

Comment

i want to conect a craftsman C3 batery to ryobi one+ tools on the craftsman batery i have ful voltage from two pins

Comment

Originally posted by metalmeltr View Post
            i want to conect a craftsman C3 batery to ryobi one+ tools on the craftsman batery i have ful voltage from two pins

full voltage dosn't mean full current. AFAIK Craftsman doesn't use anything fancy so it should work. Make sure polarity is correct.

Comment

I don't pretend to have any knowledge about the workings of Lithium Ion battery packs. In considering messing around with the internals of them I would be concerned with the following.
              1-Over the years I have read about Lithium Ion batteries exploding and causing injuries. Is this a technology that the "non expert" should be fiddling with?
              2-I believe that I have read that in some power tool systems the overload circuitry is built into the battery pack and some build such circuitry into the tool. If this is true could mixing the batteries and tools could create dangerous situations?

Comment

the thing i am worried about the most is the the ryobi bateries are 18v and the craftsman bateries are 19.2v

Comment

last night I mocked up an adapter froman old harbor freight batery case that I had and discovered a few things.
                  Go slowly because the case cracks easily
                  on the real thing I am going to have to take a lot of time to line stuff up and mark the position.

Does any one know where i can get just the case of a ryobi batery?

Comment

metalmeltr

Try to see if you have a BatteriesPlus walk-in store in your area. They recycle and rebuild lots of battery packs and may well have one where you can salvage the case. Also as crazy as this seems ask at the customer service desk of Home Depot and/or Lowes as their locations near me recycle battery packs.

http://www.batteriesplus.com/t-storeloc.aspx

Comment

i have thought about going to home depot and asking them if they care if i dig though the bin to find a batery. If they want to make sure the cells are recycled I wil get a screwdriver off the shelf and take it apart in the store to get just the part I want, the case and the terminals

Comment

aparently similer conversions have been done so hopefully this will work well. http://www.instructables.com/id/batt...cordless-tool/

Comment

Working...
                        X