X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rigid 18v battery question

I have a Rigid 18v Lith-ion cordless drill that I am very satisfied with but now I have a problem in that it got left outside overnight and got rained on and now the battery that was on the drill at the time won't charge because the charger now says it's defective. The drill works fine with the other battery.....now what??

Re: Rigid 18v battery question

lithium ion beteries have circuit bards in them that could have gotten wet and crated a short or caused damage. Since the batery isnt working anyways I would take apart the case and inspect the circuits and the cells. leav it open for a few days to dry out then put it back together and try to charge again.

Comment

if you purchased it within the last 3 years, and you have the receipt, it is covered by ridgid's warranty. just bring it to any ridgid repair facility, not home depot, and the repair facility should repair or replace it for free. if you haven't already registered the tool for ridgid's lifetime service agreement, i'd do that asap. they will repair the tool until it wears out. good luck. BTW, this link explains both the 3 year intial guaranty and the lifetime sevice agreement.

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Power-Tool-Warranty/

and don't let the lack of a upc code deter you from registring for the LSA. i have a small mountain of ridgid tools, they are all covered by the LSA and i'v never sent in a upc label for any of them.
      Last edited by FINER9998; 04-25-2009, 08:45 AM.
      there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by FINER9998 View Post
        if you purchased it within the last 3 years, and you have the receipt, it is covered by ridgid's warranty. just bring it to any ridgid repair facility, not home depot, and the repair facility should repair or replace it for free. if you haven't already registered the tool for ridgid's lifetime service agreement, i'd do that asap. they will repair the tool until it wears out. good luck. BTW, this link explains both the 3 year intial guaranty and the lifetime sevice agreement.

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Power-Tool-Warranty/

and don't let the lack of a upc code deter you from registring for the LSA. i have a small mountain of ridgid tools, they are all covered by the LSA and i'v never sent in a upc label for any of them.

No it's not. Since when is user damage considered a warranty issue? You are telling him to commit fraud. I worked for AT&T and geniuses like you brought phones they dropped into the toilet to claim warranty.

If you expose your tools to the elements and they get damaged, it's your fault, it's common sense.

Now you go to Home Depot and buy a new battery, that's what. Ridiculous question and ridiculous answer.

Comment

might be cheaper to buy a new drill if the drill is on sale.
          check the price of a drill with 2 batteries compared to buying just a battery
          i learned from my mistake
          2 batteries for the same price as a new drill
          hmmmmm
          i was suckered in
          then i went and got a ridgid 18 volt drill and never looked back

Comment

actually, the owner of the drill didn't damage the battery, the rain did. and thanks for the lecture, dad.

Comment

Originally posted by FINER9998 View Post
              actually, the owner of the drill didn't damage the battery, the rain did. and thanks for the lecture, dad.
              I didn't wreck my car, the telephone pole did. Are you 5 years old, son?

Comment

thanks again, pop!

Comment

When did RIDGID decide to offer this free lifetime service plan? Kinda pisses me off seeing this now, since my tools were certainly purchased more than 90 days ago:
                  "Customers have 90 days from date of purchase to register tools for the Lifetime Service Agreement."

Comment

Originally posted by 808Pants View Post
                    When did RIDGID decide to offer this free lifetime service plan? Kinda pisses me off seeing this now, since my tools were certainly purchased more than 90 days ago:
                    "Customers have 90 days from date of purchase to register tools for the Lifetime Service Agreement."
                    Don't beat yourself up! You could have easily missed the LSA promotion advertising. The Limited Lifetime Service Agreement Logo looks like this http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Power-Tools/index.htm
                    1-It is only plastered all over various Ridgid power tools in Home Depot and at various Ridgid power tool display areas within their stores.
                    2-The LSA logo is displayed on the outside of every Ridgid tool box I have ever purchased.
                    3-The distinctive LSA registration form has been in the box of every Ridgid power tool I have purchased. You know, it was among all those materials you carefully perused when you got your tools home from HD.
                    4-Look here, Ridgid and Home Depot want you to know about the LSA so much that they prominently display it on their web site http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...55&marketID=93
                    5-I suggest Ridgid has strongly promoted the LSA and prominently displayed information regarding it because they consider it an importent component of their sales package.
                    Sorry you missed it Pants. Maybe you bought used, or from eBay or somewhere not from HD. However look at the good side, now you will know when you buy your next Ridgid power tool!......Ray
                    Last edited by roadrashray; 09-02-2009, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Although the LSA material; says to register with 90 days, Customer Service told me on the phone, that provided you still have the original receipt that shows you bought it at HD, you can register it at any time.

My suggestion (assuming you still have the original receipt) would be to call Customer Service, explain your situation and ask their advice.

If you don't have the receipt you are SOL as you can't prove you are the original purchaser.

Comment

Regarding two things:
                        1. I actually agree with Wartex and not Finer on this one - the OP said that he left it out overnight, and it got rained on. Well, phoey on him - he damaged it by leaving it out, it's not a warrantied "defect" per say. That said, I would definitely recommend not charging it anymore or connecting it to the drill (could cause damage to those two tools, which he said are still working well). And unlike what Metalmeltr said, I wouldn't take it appart to try to do some self-help. I would tell the OP to bring it to your local service center, and ask them to service it as it's coming up as a defective battery. If they service it with no further questioning, then great. But, if they test/open it up, and ask further as to what the issues are, then they may say that it's not covered and he has to pay. But, at least if he isn't fraudulent about it, they may still decide to get it repaired/covered for him, no questions asked. Play stupid a little bit, but don't be fraudulent - be up front if you're asked about what happened.
                        2. Regarding 808Pants' comment - well, it "kind of pisses" all of us off that we constantly see posts from people who don't bother to read all of the info that came with the tool that they bought. Nevermind the fact that not delving into the manuals/materials can be hazardous, as these things are in fact power tools that can harm the operators or bystanders if they aren't used correctly or according to design/intent. But, if you had actually delved into those printed materials, as Ray stated, there's reference to the LLSA everywhere. Even granted you didn't look through the manuals/printed materials, as Ray also mentioned, the LLSA references are everywhere else conceivable. Just because you missed it, don't be pissed off at Ridgid. Unless we're all reading your comment wrong, and you're pissed off at yourself for missing it. Which, if that's the case, then excuse the harsh tone/comment from both myself and Ray. It's just that we see a lot of people (especially on here) that blame everyone else for their problems (especially the always evil, faceless corporations) and don't live up to their own responsibility.

Comment

Working...
                        X