X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 12v Lithium-Ion mini drill?

I stopped by Home Depot today and picked up a small drill/driver that isn't even on the Ridgid website. The box part number is R92008 but the drill part number is R82008.

It's a 2-speed version of the current drill (R82007 I think). It was a drill & flashlight combo with 2 batteries and charger. I don't like the new cheap-*** cloth bags these companies are using for power tools but the drill is nice, I've got to read the instructions though because clutch settings 15-18 don't do anything. They act like the drill is underpowered. 1-14 are alright but don't seem to be much range of difference.

Does anybody know anything about these drills yet?

Why aren't they offering THIS drill in the combo pack with the impact driver?
    Last edited by Rhett; 04-27-2009, 12:15 AM.

Re: New 12v Lithium-Ion mini drill?

I'll get it up on the site. I like the drill and, actually, the flashlight as well. It is very bright. Thanks for your comments on the tool. I'll make sure our product development team hears them, along with your kit suggestion.

Comment

Well I played with the drill today and I think I'll keep it. I was a little surprised that it doesn't come with any kind of manual to describe it's features. At one point I guess I had actually exhausted the battery and it just stopped. It would only operate sporadically and I thought the trigger was broken so I changed the battery and that fixed it. I love that it's so compact, I wish it had a little more power, which is why I'm wanting the IMPACT driver to complement it. I had a few Tapcon screws and some big fat 3" screws to drive and it just didn't quite have the guts for it. But I also had a bunch of small holes to drill in a very confined space and I couldn't have done it if it was ANY longer, so that was a huge plus.

It is a little top heavy but I guess there isn't much you can do about that unless you make the motor and gears out of plastic (which I doubt it is since it is quite heavy). And as long as you're passing suggestions off to product development could you tell them to please give me a FLAT surface to set this thing down on. There is absolutely NO reason why the back or top of this drill couldn't be flat so I can stand it up while I am positioning my workpiece. It's much more difficult to pick up a drill that is laying on it's side and it's far too top and front heavy to rest on it's battery.

All in all though I really like it and I'm glad I didn't "settle" on the Bosch version (which is a little longer but feels more balanced). Oh, and yes, the flashlight that came with it is really quite nice if maybe just a little unnecessarily fat. Streamline it to fit a human hand and it'll be perfect. I still hate the cloth case though.

Comment

Originally posted by ProBrand View Post
        I'll get it up on the site. I like the drill and, actually, the flashlight as well. It is very bright. Thanks for your comments on the tool. I'll make sure our product development team hears them, along with your kit suggestion.
        ProBrand, I don't mean to put you on the spot here, but wouldn't it be nice if you guys were pro-active with getting these tool's on the site? Instead of waiting for one of your customers to mention something about it.

Comment

I haven't seen the little 12vLI drill, but I do have one of the earlier small drills that has a flex joint so it can be right-angle or straight. Great drill for the weight and size! It also came with the bag, which I didn't like at first. Now, though, I use that bag ALL the time. It's become my go-to carrier with the drill, batteries, charger, hammer, and all the rest of my hand tools. It's incredibly flexible for different types of jobs, and it means I don't have the bulky plastic case PLUS the tool bag. Everything in one nice ORANGE bag!
          I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

PROBRAND:
            I bought a model R86006 drill. The first sales person over the phone said it had all metal parts. The person at the store when purchased it said no only the $300 units did. I did a lot of research before I bought one. I wanted LI batt. The Ridgid had the torque up with the best for the price.
            Not sure what unit RHET is talking about. My Home Depot didn’t have one. But I saw one from brand X ,it was half the price and the batt was the size of a D cell batt. So I stepped up to the plate and paid more money. I think Ridgid was the best deal. I do feel the sales people need to be more informed and the literature could hold more technical info.
            Last edited by elkman12; 04-28-2009, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X