X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cordless belt sander

is there company that makes a cordless belt sander?

Re: cordless belt sander

Never have seen one.

I'd be surprised. It would be one heck of a battery hog and it seems to be a tool best suited for the shop.

I did have a cordless random orbit sander many years ago. It was a battery hog too, but it was also only 7.2 volts. A bigger battery would have helped it's performance out a lot.

Of course, it was also made by Wen. Being made by someone else may have helped it out a lot also

Comment

Originally posted by metalmeltr View Post
      is there company that makes a cordless belt sander?
      A belt sander is such a power hog, I can't imagine it. Comparing it to the corded circular saw, RIDGID circ saws using between 12 and 15 amps. The belt sanders use 6.5 to 10 amps. The difference, at least in my mind is that a circ saw is used intermittently; whereas the belt sander is pretty much continuous. You get so few circular saw cuts out of a battery it seems like the cordless belt sander would go so batteries so fast as to be useless.

Not that one wouldn't have been nice this weekend when I was smoothing out some edges on a fence I'm building ...

Comment

No one makes one. At least that I'm aware. Sanding jobs generally take so long battery powered tools are completely inadequate. For a regular sized belt sander it would drain the battery too quick, even with the largest 36volt ones.

Comment

all it has to do is drag itself about 100ft

power tool drag racing never done but very interested

Comment

It's also the kind of tool that you generally use in a stationary place for a long period of time, like a workshop. If you're going to use it for a while, then finding an outlet and an extension cord doesn't eat up a lot of time of the whole job. I guess anything cordless is always nice, but I've never said "damn I wish I had a cordless belt sander".

Comment

Working...
            X