Shortening Jointer Bed?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shortening Jointer Bed?

First I would like to say Hello to everybody!! I just joined the forums although I have been visiting on & off. I have a question about an 8" jointer with a 75" bed. I have the need to use the 8" jointer for guitar body blanks. They are usually less than 20" long but they are usually 7-8 inches wide. So I need to have and 8" jointer but I don't quite have the space to store it after use with a 75" bed. Has anyone ever cut the bed down on one of these? I know it sounds a little silly but I would rarely if ever use any long boards. I was thinking of taking off 5" on each side.I'm looking at the Grizzly G0490. Any opinions on this?

Thank you,
    Keith R

Re: Shortening Jointer Bed?

Personally I think you would be better off with something like this ->

http://www.woodcraft.com/product.asp...FamilyID=63972

Or this ->

http://grizzly.com/products/10-Joint...er-Combo/G0675

Or something like this if money is no object ->

http://www.lagunatools.com/combo.platinum10.aspx#

HTH

edit; Ooops, forgot to say "Hi"
    Last edited by jbergstrom; 04-30-2009, 06:47 PM.
    Cheers! - Jim
    -------------
    All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

Those machines look really attractive. I already have a Ridgid 13" planer. I figure if I add the Grizzly G0490 with free shipping I am saving about $600 as compared to getting the Laguna. Laguna is $1695 + $250 shipping to N.Y.Plus the Ridgid Planer is 13" capability. Tough choice but I think cutting 10-15" off the G0490 bed might be the way to go. I think it will be possible to cut it and still have a useful machine.

Comment

Originally posted by Wingnut32 View Post
        Those machines look really attractive. I already have a Ridgid 13" planer. I figure if I add the Grizzly G0490 with free shipping I am saving about $600 as compared to getting the Laguna. Laguna is $1695 + $250 shipping to N.Y.Plus the Ridgid Planer is 13" capability. Tough choice but I think cutting 10-15" off the G0490 bed might be the way to go. I think it will be possible to cut it and still have a useful machine.
        If you cut it you will also kill any potential resale value...

The reason I posted these machines is because they have a 10" jointer capacity with the shorter beds you say you need for space reasons...

The planer function is just a bonus that you don't have to use...

Any of these machines would be perfect for the 20" long x 7" or 8" wide pieces you describe... They go one better, you get 10" jointer capacity instead of 8"

Also these machines will keep their resale value because there would be no need to "ruin" them by cutting the beds shorter.

The 8" Grizzly jointer you're talking about is a decent machine but I can guarantee you that no one would want to buy it if you hack off the tables.

Just pointing out some common sense suggestions you may not have thought about.

There are lots of other machines in this category (10" jointer) that I would look into... Most of them are shorter and lots of them have the planer function but like I said you don't have to use it....

Good luck with whatever you decide to do
        Last edited by jbergstrom; 05-06-2009, 03:49 PM.
        Cheers! - Jim
        -------------
        All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

I understand what you are saying. I guess it's like anything else...you can spend the money once or spend it twice!!

Comment

They have that Jet in an 8" also

http://www.woodcraft.com/product.asp...FamilyID=63971

Comment

Looking at the Grizzly 10" combo. It is $1195 delivered and no tax. I have a 13" planer but I guess you can never have enough tools. I don't do a lot of jointing, so would a 6" model work for jointing 7"-8" x20" boards? I know there is a way to do it and my limited use might not be such a hassle. Are the results of using a smaller jointer with wider boards just as good?
              Last edited by Wingnut32; 05-01-2009, 05:12 PM.

Comment

I would not attempt doing pieces wider than a jointer is made to do. You would have to remove the guard and that is one tool that could mess you up in a hurry.

There are sanders that can operate that way and they can even be used for light dimensioning, but it kind of sounds like you should use a planer instead of a joiner to me.

Comment

Working...
                X