18v Cordless Drill (R86006) sparking

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18v Cordless Drill (R86006) sparking

Last week I purchased the R86006 cordless drill. I first started to use it today and noticed that when the drill stops after running at a higher speed it makes an unusually loud cracking sound, it sparks in the rear and I smell a slight burn. This isn't normal, correct? It seems to run fine, but I'm concerned there's something wrong with the motor and it will eventually burn out. Should I return it to Home Depot? Thanks.

Re: 18v Cordless Drill (R86006) sparking

Do a forum search. There's been countless questions/responses on this same topic.
    I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Hey NYjets, Tinmack is just trying to get people into the habit of helping themselves. I say, any poor soul who is a NY Jet's fan needs all the help they can get, and welcome to the forum.
      The sparking and electric smell are just the brushes on a new motor seating in and is perfectly normal. The cracking sound and further sparks are probably the electric brake working when you release the trigger and is also normal. Some people on this site suggest it is a good procedure with a new drill to run it for a minute or so in forward and then run it for the same length of time in reverse. Repeat this procedure a few times to help the brushes to seat correctly.
      Now get out there and do some work with that bad boy!.....Ray
      PS-I do look forward to driving the twenty miles to Cortland and watching the Jet's practice this summer.
      Last edited by roadrashray; 05-04-2009, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Thanks Ray! I'll stick with the RIDGID drill I just bought and make the most of it. I've also got to stick with my lowly Jets and hope for the best... even though we always know how it will end in December... Take care and thanks for the advice. John

Comment

Working...
        X