No announcement yet.

Charger problem in the new V3 R963 kit?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charger problem in the new V3 R963 kit?

Hi All,

New to the forum.. I've been using some of the smaller Ridgid tools for several months and liked them, so last week I decided to buy 2 of the X3 R963 kits for our business. Everything seems fine except the LEDs on the charger blink red and then green when the batteries reach full charge. Both chargers and all the batteries we've tried behave the same, including the half size Li ion packs from the smaller kits. Charger number is CS0839 (same in both kits).

I tried one of the chargers from the other kit (that came with the half size packs), and the green LED comes on and the red LED goes out when the battery is fully charged. (same behavior as with the small packs and consistent with the manual). The charger number in this kit is CS0852.

BTW, exact same charger manual was included in both kits. I would just return the R963 kits to HD, but they don't have anymore in stock... and I really like the tools (not to mention the great deal at 30% off). If the chargers are defective, it seems odd that I got 2 lemons...so I'm thinking something else is up. The chargers seem to charge the batteries OK, it's just the bloody blinking at the end makes it seem like you have a defective battery....

Anybody have a clue as to what is going on? Or seen this in their X3 kits?

thanks,
    Craig
    Last edited by cmedwards; 05-08-2009, 10:01 PM. Reason: typos

Re: Charger problem in the new V3 R963 kit?

Originally posted by cmedwards View Post
    Hi All,

New to the forum.. I've been using some of the smaller Ridgid tools for several months and liked them, so last week I decided to buy 2 of the V3 R963 kits for our business. Everything seems fine except the LEDs on the charger blink red and then green when the batteries reach full charge. Both chargers and all the batteries we've tried behave the same, including the half size Li ion packs from the smaller kits. Charger number is CS0839 (same in both kits).

I tried one of the chargers from the other kit (that came with the half size packs), and the green LED comes on and the red LED goes out when the battery is fully charged. (same behavior as with the small packs and consistent with the manual). The charger number in this kit is CS0852.

BTW, exact same charger manual was included in both kits. I would just return the R963 kits to HD, but they don't have anymore in stock... and I really like the tools (not to mention the great deal at 30% off). If the chargers are defective, it seems odd that I got 2 lemons...so I'm thinking something else is up. The chargers seem to charge the batteries OK, it's just the bloody blinking at the end makes it seem like you have a defective battery....

Anybody have a clue as to what is going on? Or seen this in their V3 kits?

thanks,
    Craig
    Craig,

Welcome to the forum where everyone tries to answer your questions to the best of their ability. First off, the numbers on your chargers - CS0839 and CS0852 represent the build date of the product. 39th week and 52nd week of 2008 and is not the model number. The chargers supplied with your kit will charge all Ridgid batteries from 9.6v to 18v in all Ah ratings in both battery chemistries - NiCad or Lithium Ion (they will not handle the small 12v battery, nor the 24v LI battery). Sounds like one of the chargers is defective and should be either returned to the HD store, or taken to a service center for evaluation. The charger will charger both batteries - full size or compact so at least you have one. Hope this helps some. Good luck and again, welcome.

Comment

Hi All,

New to the forum.. I've been using some of the smaller Ridgid tools for several months and liked them, so last week I decided to buy 2 of the V3 R963 kits for our business. Everything seems fine except the LEDs on the charger blink red and then green when the batteries reach full charge. Both chargers and all the batteries we've tried behave the same, including the half size Li ion packs from the smaller kits. Charger number is CS0839 (same in both kits).

Anybody have a clue as to what is going on? Or seen this in their V3 kits?

thanks,
      Craig
      hate to be a stickler but its X3 not v3

Comment

Re: Charger problem in the new X3 R963 kit?

Thanks for the quick feedback... appreciate the date code decoder info!

I guess Ridgid really had a manfac problem with earlier chargers, as both of the chargers with the earlier date code ( CS0839) were "defective". Also seems that based on another thread that I found here, others have had the same issue with earlier R963 kits. I'll see if I can swap the chargers out at HD.

Thanks for the correction pesciwasp, at least I can fix the title!

-Craig

Comment

If the red LED stops blinking and the green LED is blinking, try leaving the battery in the charger for about 1/2 hour longer and see if the green LED becomes steady on.If you've already tried leaving the batteries in the charger for several hours and the green LED still flashes, then I would try to exchange both the batteries and chargers.With a totally different Li-Ion battery and charger I found it necessary to leave the battery in the charger a full 24 hours to get the charging light to go out. After that things worked fine. This was with charge #1 for the battery.
          Last edited by Woussko; 05-09-2009, 12:22 AM.

Comment

I guess Ridgid really had a manfac problem with earlier chargers, as both of the chargers with the earlier date code ( CS0839) were "defective". Also seems that based on another thread that I found here, others have had the same issue with earlier R963 kits. I'll see if I can swap the chargers out at HD.

-Craig
            CM....Welcome to the forum. Bummer on those chargers. It has been my experience that HD will only exchange the entire kit that you purchased. They have no procedure for exchanging one component out of a kit. I strongly suggest you bring the entire R963 kit with you and save an extra trip......Good luck, Ray

Comment

Originally posted by pesciwasp View Post

You sure do love to nitpick... Get a life

Comment

-Craig
                editing rules!

Comment

Originally posted by thomasward00 View Post
                  ok, thanks, i'm better now

Comment

Originally Posted by pesciwasp
                    Originally posted by thomasward00 View Post
                    Easy Thomas!...... When it comes to computers, nitpicking is important. As a "Network Engineer", you of course understand that if you do a search looking for information on a V3 R963 kit the results will probably be much different than searching on X3 R963........ Ray
                    Last edited by roadrashray; 05-09-2009, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X