X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: B & D buying Delta Porter Cable?

I haven't seen any problem with B&D purchasing Porter Cable. I actually think in many ways both have benefited. Both of them now sell basically the same product with minor feature changes and colors. The benefit is that they consolidated their product lines by usually eliminating the weaker product of the two and standardizing the better ones. For example notice how Dewalt eliminated their old line of reciprocating saws and now sells the better tiger saws in yellow shells. Same with PC, 1/4 and orbital sanders are gone for the much better design based off from the Dewaltmodels . For now it looks like B&D is going to keep Dewalt positioned as the high end construction line while porter cable will specialize as the high end woodwork division under the PC/Delta brands. As far as PC cordless tools, they were never all that to begin with. Basing them off lower end Dewalt cordless is still a likely improvement.

Comment

Originally posted by papadan View Post
      All of thier tools are made in China now, they closed all american manufacturing plants for Dewalt, PC, Vermont American, Delta,................ My PC sander and routers were made in TN. a few years ago.
      ROTFL. The amount of misinformation on this forum makes baby Jesus cry.

Vermont American is owned by Bosch.

Some parts for Dewalt are made in USA, but tools are assembled in China, BUT NOT ALL.

Tools are still being made in Mexico and Germany, this is a fact. My tracksaw is German and some of my 18v stuff is from Mexico.

Comment

All of my Dewalt tools are made either in Mexico or Czech Republic. The only one that says made in China is the angle grinder and bits say made in germany.

Comment

Originally posted by DRC-Wartex View Post
          ROTFL. The amount of misinformation on this forum makes baby Jesus cry.

Vermont American is owned by Bosch.

Some parts for Dewalt are made in USA, but tools are assembled in China, BUT NOT ALL.

Tools are still being made in Mexico and Germany, this is a fact. My tracksaw is German and some of my 18v stuff is from Mexico.
          My main point is that none of them are made here anymore. V.A. made bits and blades for all brands.
          info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

When I started buying my tools, I got a Milwaukee 12v cordless.
            I am pretty sure that it was American made back then. Then jumped up to a Porter Cable 14.4, and pretty sure that was as well. Mil. started making things in Mexico, so the next tools I bought were all American Porter Cable. When I bought my router, I had to go to two Lowe's to find the last American made router. Same router, same number...on the shelf next to it was foreign. If I had the money, I guess I would buy the Festool line. Or Metabo...I don't think you can ever go wrong with a German tool.

Comment

My main point is that none of them are made here anymore. V.A. made bits and blades for all brands.
              I like your redirecting rhetoric and statements unsupported by facts. My main point is that I have a keyboard and I can type answers to internet postings!

There are many Dewalt components still made in USA. Also, VA accessories "fitting" other brand tools does not mean they produced them FOR those brands.

This is what you said:

When B&D took over Dewalt ...... they closed all american manufacturing plants for Dewalt, PC, Vermont American, Delta,..
              B&D has nothing to do with VA. Please show me a reference where VA accessories were branded as Dewalt.

And who cares where they are made? As long as there is QA control, quality will be the same anywhere. American cars and electronics are complete garbage compared to japanese for example. Have you ever seen a typical chinese cell phone? Your american Nokia or Motorola is a dixie cup compared to chinese, feature wise.

Comment

This is a old thread but will add my 2¢ worth, B&D bought Delta & P-C from Pentair a few years ago, Delta who used to build some decent heirloom quality tools has long been reduced to cheap Chinese peanut butter cast iron before Bleak & Dorker got them, Porter-Cable still made a few decent tools, B&D decided to reduce them to a homeowner grade tool because they had DeWalt as a "professional" line, when B&D bought DeWalt from AMF in 1960 they were a well regarded manufacturer of radial arm saws, now the name is another junk tool line & the radial arm saws are no longer manufactured.

_____________________* Black & Decker

*Mentally insert the profanity of your choice here.

Comment

You've all been helpful if not a little depressing. There was a day when I knew what I was getting when I bought a tool. I own several Ridgids, Dewalts, Milwaukees, Porter Cable, Craftsman, Skil, Husquavarna, Husky and yes even Black and Decker. I bought a Homelite battery powered lawn mower just for trimming because with 9 spine surgeries now I can't pull a start rope. It's been in repairs more than I've used it and now the salespeople tell me B&D was the best way to go for that item even though I read many bad reports on the net about them. You guys are right. Buy what seems to work, return what doesn't and keep on trying. My Ridgids are fine until I try my hammer drill. It was brand new and I drilled a total of three 4" deep holes and only had to have it repaired twice during that period. (smoked it to a standstill even using a little water for lube) So far my Milwaukee hammer drill is holding up.
                  If nothing else, you people have convinced me to toss out my old prejudges and give B&D another chance.
                  If you hear of new and great power tools coming on the market I'm always open to hear about them. Heck, I've got tools I purchased a year or two or three still in the wrappers. I just can't seem to get enough but I prefer quality. Let me know about hot tips at gkcoco@yahoo.com
                  Last edited by gkcoco; 08-02-2009, 04:21 AM. Reason: spell check

Comment

I quit buying B&D and Dewalt years ago when B&D was actively anti union.

Luckily, tool tests in Taunton Magazines put Milwaukee drill and sawzals ahead of Dewalt.
                    I have used many Dewalt tools because for some reason lot of contractors provide them.

Comment

Yes indeed it is sad news when your favorite company got bought out by a crappier one. Then again I actually have a few black and decker items that are pretty good like a corded hammer drill and my weed whacker. Newell-Rubbermaid bought Lenox and Bernz-o-matic. Again, as someone else already mentioned nothing is made like it used to be. I Had a black and decker circular saw that was ancient before it finally quit on me, must've been over 30 years old, used to belong to my dad, not to mention a REALLY old blender from them that my parents have that still works fine.

Comment

Still Made in the USA

List of tools still made in the USA.

http://www.stillmadeinusa.com/tools.html#PowerEquipment

All three of the big name welding machine manufacturers (Lincoln, Hobart, & Miller) are still here surprisingly.
                        ---------------
                        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                        ---------------
                        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                        ---------
                        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                        ---------
                        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
                        X