B & D buying Delta Porter Cable?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B & D buying Delta Porter Cable?

If this is old news forgive me I'm a new user and an old geezer. I really hate to see this happen. I've never liked Black & Decker because they are all cheaply made and profit oriented. I switch to Ridgid for the lifetime warranties only to find they spend more time in the repair shop than in my work shop. I am now going with all Milwaukee. Wish me luck. I just bought a Delta Porter Cable 220v commercial grade belt and disc grinder. I hope I got it before B & D got there hands on it!! Cost always matters to a retiree but I still buy the best as I can. I have about $10,000 plus hand and power tools. Any experience you folks have had (good or bad) I'd like to know so I know where to best spend my money. Of course after 35 years as a tool and die maker you'd think I know by now. Thanks ladies and gents. Gary

Re: B & D buying Delta Porter Cable?

If this is old news forgive me I'm a new user and an old geezer. I really hate to see this happen. I've never liked Black & Decker because they are all cheaply made and profit oriented. I switch to Ridgid for the lifetime warranties only to find they spend more time in the repair shop than in my work shop. I am now going with all Milwaukee. Wish me luck. I just bought a Delta Porter Cable 220v commercial grade belt and disc grinder. I hope I got it before B & D got there hands on it!! Cost always matters to a retiree but I still buy the best as I can. I have about $10,000 in hand and power tools. Any experience you folks have had (good or bad) I'd like to know so I know where to best spend my money. Of course after 35 years as a tool and die maker you'd think I know by now. Thanks ladies and gents. Gary

Comment

i hate to be the bearer of bad news, but i believe B&D has owned porter cable, dewalt and delta for years. and as for switching to milwaukee, their tools are now made bt TTI, the same company that makes ryobi and ridgid.

http://www.bdk.com/

if you click on the "our companies" tab, it lists all their brands.
      there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Correct! I have a business relationship with B&D and they do own Delta, Porter Cable, Dewalt and Vector, Kwikset, Baldwin, etc....

I have several older PC tools and I feel that they are very well made. However, with that being said... (I can't say very much), but let’s just say that PC isn't what it used to be. I would only consider their routers and jigs.

You stated that you don't like B&D because they're products are cheap. Do you own any Dewalt tools? Keep in mind that there are different levels of quality and many different companies that produce tools under different names, much like you washer and dryer .

Go with what feels right for you. I like Ridgid and their CS. I like Dewalt (for the most part) and like I said, PC makes a good router and I'm impressed with the Omni jig too.

I like Nissan and own two of them, but I wouldn't buy a Nissan Versa or Sentra. They are just not built to the standards that I like... hence the cheaper price tag.

Welcome to the forum Gary!

I do want to add that B&D has an amazingly clean facility and top notch safety program. (No I'm not just saying that, they really do)
        It's like heaven walking among all the tools
        Last edited by Altima 3.5; 05-08-2009, 07:47 AM.

Comment

It doesn't really matter much who makes something but it does matter to what specification that something is made too. Any company can produce junk but that same company can also produce gems if the specifications are right. I agree that Porter Cable quality isn't as good as it used to be however, for the most part, their tools are still made to a higher standard than many others out there.
          ================================================== ====
          ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

Badger Dave is right on. I don't think you can pick one company and go with every one of their tools. Each will have some winners and losers. The trick is to sort it all out and pick the best from each one.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
              It doesn't really matter much who makes something but it does matter to what specification that something is made too. Any company can produce junk but that same company can also produce gems if the specifications are right. I agree that Porter Cable quality isn't as good as it used to be however, for the most part, their tools are still made to a higher standard than many others out there.
              The problem is, NOTHING IS MADE LIKE IT USED TO BE!!!

Comment

B&D has owned DeWalt for quite a while, and the DW products still seem to be pretty hardy. They bought Pentair at least two years ago, and Pentair owned PC, Delta, Devilbiss, Oldham and several brands. Not sure where they'll head with PC and Delta, but I think they've proven with DW that they're capable of good quality.

Comment

Of course you've all made valid points and I agree with all so now I wonder what my complaint was. Yes I do own DeWalt and like them very much so what's a guy to do? I guess I'll have to keep asking and buying different products. This global grab bag of crap ticks me off. We never know what we're getting.

Comment

Most of the PC have gone to the discount line. I was in the market for a new cordless set and noticed that PC tools look more like BD with more plastic and cheaper built. Also the price point had dropped, that was an idicator of what is to come. The skill saws looked cheap. And where quite a bit cheaper than the older models. The tool store had both

Comment

The line of Porter Cable tools is the old Firestorm line. I guess B and D thought the Porter Cable name would be more recognized as a quality tool then the Firestorm name.

Comment

This is more for curosity as I don't have any of the tools and no intention of getting any of them: If the new PC tools are the old Firestorm products, are the batteries interchangeable?

Comment

Finer9998, sorry to correct you, but TTI does not just make the Milwaukee brand, they own them. B&D used to have 2 lines of tools, homeowner and Professional. The old homeowner tools were a baby crap yellow color and the Pros were black. I still have a Porta-band saw, 1/2" drill,electric impact wrench, and reciprocating saw that are B&D Professional tools. They are from the late 70s-early 80s and all still work great. When B&D took over Dewalt they dropped thier Pro line and concentrated on the Dewalts instead of making both. And yes, they dropped thier Firestorm line when they purchased PC. All of thier tools are made in China now, they closed all american manufacturing plants for Dewalt, PC, Vermont American, Delta,................ My PC sander and routers were made in TN. a few years ago.
                          info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Black and Decker has owned PC for a few years, but they have owned Dewalt much longer. They purchased Dewalt in the early 1960's when Dewalt was a manufacturer of stationary tools, mainly radial arms arms and large industrial saws. If you can find one an old Dewalt Radial arm like a 7790 or 7780, which is a 10" saw, and the arm isn't worn out of spec, you'll never find a better radial arm. In the early 1980's an up and comer retail sales rep for B&D named, Joe Galli, made a presentation to old man Decker about using the Dewalt name, on at the time, B&D's industrial line of of power tools, and the rest is history. Joe Galli went on to become president of B&d worldwide and pretty much set the direction for the company since that time frame.

The reason for the story is to make sure you know how the tool is built. What was true 30 years ago is true now. Make sure that you know quality, bearings instead of bushings, metal instead of plastic at important places. Remember who the parent of Ridgid is, Emerson Electric who's number one product is the Skil line of tools and another line that they don't even put their name on, Craftsman. Anybody can make cheap tools and anyone can make great tools, if you purchase the best tool you can, that's made with quality components, no matter whose name is on it, you'll do all right.

Comment

Cookn, I'm afraid that you may be just a little behind the times when it comes to who owns who and who makes what for whom. Bosch is the parent company of Skil and as far as I know, they don't own Emerson Electric. Also, Emerson and Sears (Craftsman) parted ways over a decade ago in the late 90's. Of course no one really knows what goes on behind those closed corporate doors but I think that many, but by all means no all, of the power tools that carry the Craftsman are made for Sears by One World Technology, parent company of Ryobi.
                              ================================================== ====
                              ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

Working...
                              X