X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New To woodworking: need tool list

I have a new ridgid autoshift drill and recipro saw... I will be building a new audio rack, coffee table and a few small tables in the house. I'll be working with wood and not fiberboard, what is a list of ridgid tools that i'll need minus what I already have.

Thanks in advance....

Re: New To woodworking: need tool list

You probably could build the items you listed with just a circular saw and a router. You would also need a few hand tools but you probably already have those.

On the other side of the coin, if I were to build those items in my shop I probably would use at some point or another my;

1. Table Saw
    2. Router
    3. Planer
    4. Jointer
    5. Random Orbital Sander
    6. Bandsaw
    7. Drill/Driver/Impact Driver
    8. And many other jigs, clamps, etc.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

As BadgerDave said one could do with little or use a lot,

first of all a lot depends on how one wants to construct it, and I think that is as much of the key to the tools needed as any thing,

some times the tools one owns designe the construction process, and some times the construction process decides the tools one needs,

there is a tool called a Kreg Jig, (there are a few different models), basically all it is JIG, that guides a special drill bit and uses a special type of screw, with that one could assemble most items with what is called pocket screws, no real joints but screws.

one could use a Bisket Jointer, which cuts little "C" cuts and takes a special "biscuit" that gets glued into the slots to from a joint,

there are dowels, a quality jig is benefit, but they make making plugs, drill one side, put in the marking plug and tap and you know where to drill the mating hole, keep your holes square and that makes a good joint,

two of the methods take a drill, and a jig,
      one takes a tool called a biscuit cutter,

the above methods basically use but joints, no real joinery,

wood could be cut with most any thing from a hand saw, skil type saw, to miter saw to a table saw, and so on.

now if on want joinery there is what is called mortised and tendon, drill and a chisel could be used for the mortises, but there make a addition on a drill press that holds a square chisel and a bit that can make the cuts, or a stand a lone machine,
      table saw and dado head, is usually used (in the home shop) to make the tendons

there are lap joints and miter joints, finger joints, and many more that one can make using a table saw,

there are brackets that one can screw on and not make any joints or cuts,

and there are million dollar machines that can make special joints for wood assembly,

a router and the proper cutter bit, (and or router table) can make and even replace the use of a table saw in some situations,

to make some joints stronger one may use a combination of process to better the joinery of the project,

clamps are of a basic need if one is going to glue some things,

for machine tools I would go with a table saw of some type,

the power miter saw is very handy,

a router is a very handy tool if you have need or want of one,(more than likely one will spend more on bits/cutters than for the tool) to make it extremely verstial,
      (one can make Dado's, edge shapes, trim up things, special glue line cutters, and so on.

but if one can use all standard widths from the Lumber supply, then one need for a table saw is limited, if one can use standard thicknesses, then ones need for planer is limited,
      I would get some or draw up some ideas and plans, and then armed with that info, figure out what you want for joints and many be some discussion on joints, to see if some are better for something than another,

then figure out what tools one (wants or needs) to accomplish what you need to for your construction

I have built things starting with the chain saw and then to the saw mill and after a year of drying used many of the tools BadgerDave listed, and probably some other besides that list,
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by thomasward00 View Post
        I have a new ridgid autoshift drill and recipro saw... I will be building a new audio rack, coffee table and a few small tables in the house. I'll be working with wood and not fiberboard, what is a list of ridgid tools that i'll need minus what I already have.

Thanks in advance....
        You need either a circular saw or table saw to cut wood to size. Doing things repeatably on a table saw is easier. You'll probably want a router to get various edge profiles or do some joinery. If you're doing joinery you'll want a plunge, for edge profiles a fixed base router will do. You'll likely want a random orbital sander.

You'll need clamps too, which can get expensive. If you can hide your fasteners, pocket hole jigs are a cheap way to avoid having so many clamps.

Comment

I've actually just rented a home in uptown New Orleans for a year, the wife is working on her masters, we will be moving out to the burbs in 12 months, while I have a carport, I will have to limit my tool purchases to necessity and portable right now.

I was in HD today and the salesman told me that for my audio rack and simple furniture that I want to build that i'd need a circular saw and jigsaw. To round off my edges would a Router or Jigsaw work best? Also which circular saw should I purchase the smaller Ridgid 6 1/2 lightweight saw or the fullsize?

Please keep in mind that this is for building simple furniture like my audiorack, coffee table and small bookcases, I will be purchasing all ridgid tools, but would also like to only buy what I need to get the job done, I'll add to my collection as time, money and a new home with space permit.

Thanks in advance....

Comment

If you are going to do several projects you need a tablesaw. Even if it's an inexpensive one.

As far as "rounding corners" it depends on what you mean. To round the edge of a board you want a router. To round a corner of a board you would want a jigsaw.

Honestly, I'm a little nervous about a guy tackling projects like this if they don't have more experience or some help.

Comment

Originally posted by rofl View Post
              If you are going to do several projects you need a tablesaw. Even if it's an inexpensive one.

As far as "rounding corners" it depends on what you mean. To round the edge of a board you want a router. To round a corner of a board you would want a jigsaw.

Honestly, I'm a little nervous about a guy tackling projects like this if they don't have more experience or some help.
              Basically i'm making a small flat top table with one or two shelves below, I'm gonna go with furniture grade birch sheets, I just wanted to round the edges, I don't want points. Nothing fancy, just an audio rack to hold my receiver and DVD player, but I do want nice quality wood. It won't be the fanciest rack ever, I love simpicity and i'm a minimalist.

Comment

Do I need a router or jigsaw to simply round off the pointed edges on a sheet of wood?

Thanks in advance...

Comment

A jigsaw or sanding would take the corners off.

I built an A/V rack for my home theater gear that could easily be done with just a circuilar saw and drill with large diameter bit. Its based on the Salamader Archetype rack.

Instead of using plywood and having to deal with covering the edegs I bought laminted pine sheets (not excatly sure what its called) which were about 18 inches wides and stained to look like cherry. The legs are threaded rod and I can space the shelves anyway I want. It looks just like the Salamander rack which are fairly expensive. Below is a pic from the Salamander website. If you would to see a pic of mine let me know.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Pez View Post
                    Below is a pic from the Salamander website. If you would to see a pic of mine let me know.
                    I'd like to see the pic.

Comment

So would you guys say that I should start with a Circular Saw and Jigsaw for these projects? Should I pony up the cash for a Ridgid Jigsaw and Circular?

I already have the drill and will be purchasing an orbital sander.

Comment

if you want a curved corner say a 2 or 3" radius and not a square corner the jig saw would work best, if you want a small rounded edge, or a profiled edge a router will do it best, basically a jig saw is for cutting curved lines say cutting out a round circle, out of a board or sheet,

a router is a tool that has a high speed spindle and a cutter and is used normally to form a edge that is all ready to the desired shape, not to cut with.

two different tools for two different purposes,

but to say to round a corner, can mean two different things to me any way,
                        do you want the corner (edge) rounded or formed,
                        or do you want a square corner of a square sheet, cut off to make a corner that is rounded off in a looking from the flat side of the board,or sheet.

the "skil" saw can do most all your cuts, but it will be challenging as to do some of them, with the desired results I think your wanting, a bench top table saw would come in really handy as well, but start out with the "skil" type saw, and go from there.
                        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                        attributed to Samuel Johnson
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                          if you want a curved corner say a 2 or 3" radius and not a square corner the jig saw would work best, if you want a small rounded edge, or a profiled edge a router will do it best, basically a jig saw is for cutting curved lines say cutting out a round circle, out of a board or sheet,

a router is a tool that has a high speed spindle and a cutter and is used normally to form a edge that is all ready to the desired shape, not to cut with.

two different tools for two different purposes,

but to say to round a corner, can mean two different things to me any way,
                          do you want the corner (edge) rounded or formed,
                          or do you want a square corner of a square sheet, cut off to make a corner that is rounded off in a looking from the flat side of the board,or sheet.

the "skil" saw can do most all your cuts, but it will be challenging as to do some of them, with the desired results I think your wanting, a bench top table saw would come in really handy as well, but start out with the "skil" type saw, and go from there.
                          I'm gonna go with a Ridgid Circular Saw, Jigsaw and circular sander.

Thanks for the advise...

Comment

Working...
                          X