X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compact Drill R86007 Clutch Problem

I just got this drill (R86007) in the combo set. Even on the lowest clutch setting, the clutch does not want to release until a much higher torque value than it should. I almost damaged an item I was drilling screws into because the clutch did not kick in when it should have.

I put a socket adapter in the chuck and tightened my vice on the adapter. I ran the drill to exercise the clutch to break it in. This did no help and the clutch still does not activate until a much higher torque than it should.

Any suggestions, or should I take it back to HD for a replacement.

Re: Compact Drill R86007 Clutch Problem

Why mess with it? Just take it back and get a different one.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I took the drill back today. They pulled another drill out of a combo pack and it did the same thing.

The tool manager suggested we look in the owner's manual. On page 10 it says: "Use LO (1) speed for high power and torque applications and HI (2) speed for fast drilling and driving applications."

I had been checking the clutch only in LO. When I switched to HI and checked the clutch it worked properly. So I guess the clutch is working alright. It is just different from all the other drill clutches I have used where the clutch activates at the same torque in both LO and HI.

Comment

Originally posted by petec View Post
        I took the drill back today. They pulled another drill out of a combo pack and it did the same thing.

The tool manager suggested we look in the owner's manual. On page 10 it says: "Use LO (1) speed for high power and torque applications and HI (2) speed for fast drilling and driving applications."

I had been checking the clutch only in LO. When I switched to HI and checked the clutch it worked properly. So I guess the clutch is working alright. It is just different from all the other drill clutches I have used where the clutch activates at the same torque in both LO and HI.
        dewalt does the same thing. this allows you much higher torque setting range

Comment

Working...
        X