Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ridgid TP1300 Planer Knive replace or sharpen?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid TP1300 Planer Knive replace or sharpen?

I have a Ridgid TP1300 planer that I just flipped the blades over to use the other side. I was wondering if I can get these knives sharpened or is it recommended that I discard after the second side is used and replace with new? I hate to waste but my concern is setting the blades parallel in the cutter head to get an accurate cut. The blades would have to be sharpened with parallel edges and then do I loose too much width after sharpening?

Re: Ridgid TP1300 Planer Knive replace or sharpen?

That would be my guess (loosing the width).

The blades are disposable and I believe the manual states that the blades are to be replaced and not sharpened. The last time I looked, the replacement blades were on $29.97 and your local Home Depot should have them available in the store.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

Yea, I agree with CWS on replacing and the inability to sharpen them. Also, the TP1300 comes with a replacement set of blades as part of the package. I am not near my planer or I could tell you where to locate them. So, I'll go by my feeble memory and say that they are under the outfeed table - I may be wrong and one of the other members of the forum can correct me, but they do come with an extra set of blades. They are in a long orange tube, I remember that much.

Comment

Originally posted by Spinalzo View Post
        Yea, I agree with CWS on replacing and the inability to sharpen them. Also, the TP1300 comes with a replacement set of blades as part of the package. I am not near my planer or I could tell you where to locate them. So, I'll go by my feeble memory and say that they are under the outfeed table - I may be wrong and one of the other members of the forum can correct me, but they do come with an extra set of blades. They are in a long orange tube, I remember that much.
        That is precisely where they're at, and in the orange tube.

With the included replacements you have four 'sets' of cutting edges. Because they are indexed, sharpening is not encouraged, as it will/may throw off the coplanar alignment with respect to the indexing head.

Comment

Working...
        X