New One+ tools

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New One+ tools

Saw this in the Home Depot circular last night when I picked up a bunch of random stuff.
    http://www.ryobitools.com/catalog/pa...sprayers/P630K

Looking up other new tools, also saw this today online:
    http://www.ryobitools.com/catalog/po...ile_saws/P580K

Although I probably won't wind up getting either of these (though the paint sprayer is sorely tempting me)... I'm just really glad to see that they continue to develop more tools for this line.

Re: New One+ tools

The first corded power drill I ever bought was a Ryobi, it still works and is in great condition. It is a little bit on the heavy side, and there weren't any extra features or accessories that came with it, but overall a satisfying product when considering the price.

Lately it seems like Ryobi is changing their look, and getting all kinds of new products to market as quickly as possible. I thought their old designs for tools were just fine with the dark blue and yellow, the newer lime green color just isn't as appealing. If their standard tools still work just as good or better it's fine, but with so many new types of tools they're throwing out there, it makes me wonder how much time went into design and production.

I'll wait to hear some reviews on their newer products. If the tools work well and are worth the money, I'll certainly give Ryobi credit for innovation.

Comment

Well speaking of Ryobi inovation!! Here is there latest Tek 4 line! Oh and I noticed a new tile saw as well....

http://dp.storymaker-se.com/DaliData...5395&t=exp.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Kanxrus View Post
        Well speaking of Ryobi inovation!! Here is there latest Tek 4 line! Oh and I noticed a new tile saw as well....

http://dp.storymaker-se.com/DaliData...5395&t=exp.htm

I found the comment about Ryobi pushing for a common power cell interesting. This is something I have thought has been sorely needed world wide for many years. It is down right crazy to continue to make single use/throw-away batteries. It makes more sense to push for a battery standard than the CFL craze does.

We need a world-wide standard to be phased in to power the next generation of portable devices.
        "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
        John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

The paint sprayers definitely seem interesting, I'm thinking it is about time to do an exterior watersealer on my house this year or next. One of these could help speed that up quite a bit.

The TEK4 ear muffs that cancel noise also seem like they might be interesting too.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post

We need a world-wide standard to be phased in to power the next generation of portable devices.
            I really hope this happens as well. Already it seems like every major tool maker has chosen similar voltages to power various sizes of tools, 4v, 12v, 14.4v, 18v, 28v... Craftsman seems to be one of the odd balls with their 19.2v stuff. Would it really kill them to make the batteries compatible? There are so many benefits for both consumers and manufacturers for standardization.

Look at the computer industry, The ubiquitous USB port with all it's flexibility and convenient connectivity. It had very humble beginnings as a way to connect mice, keyboards, printers and such without having to engineer a completely new port and cable type for every possible type of device, for every manufacturer. Since it is now such a vital part of our computers, entire companies are devoted to making new, interesting, and sometimes outright bizarre devices that plug into USB ports. If you can think of just about any kind of electrical device, it's likely someone has already made a version of it that will be powered by the 5v power spec supplied by a USB port. If nobody has made that device yet, it'll probably be available in 6 weeks or so.

With a standard power source, tool manufacturers can stop worrying about designing batteries 50 different ways. Let Energizer and Duracell research how to get more juice into the rechargable batteries. Then they could spend more time designing and developing new tools that will function with an established standard battery.

Another benefit for us consumers is we wouldn't be chained to one brand simply because that's the type of battery system we own.

Comment

If you can think of just about any kind of electrical device, it's likely someone has already made a version of it that will be powered by the 5v power spec supplied by a USB port. If nobody has made that device yet, it'll probably be available in 6 weeks or so.
              So is there a desktop USB-powered coffee pot in the works?

Back on topic, I saw that Ryobi has a backpack power painter as part of their line of One+ tools too. Just happened to see it on display when in the paint section yesterday to pick up some brushes and roller covers. It might be hard to believe put if you do a little label reading you can find good quality, Made in USA paint brushes for only slightly more than those made in China.

The job you save may be your neighbors!
              Last edited by Bob D.; 05-23-2009, 05:51 AM.
              "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                So is there a desktop USB-powered coffee pot in the works?

The job you save may be your neighbors!
                http://www.firebox.com/product/2101/...p-Coffee-Maker

See, USB coffee maker. Not really practical as 5v isn't going to supply much juice towards boiling water.

UPDATE: I found that product through a website that didn't get their facts straight. As the product page shows, it's powered by an AC outlet. At least the USB coffee maker idea has been thought of before, but the 5v limit just can't make coffee right. You'd probably get some dirty water at best.

Maybe we could suggest Ridgid doing something similar and powering it with a 18v lithium battery

Something a little more practical would be a USB Coffee warmer
                http://www.pacificgeek.com/product.a...9&ID=40250&P=F
                Last edited by wathman; 05-23-2009, 07:02 PM.

Comment

I was just kiddin with the USB coffee maker but I should have known better.

If someone can dream it up it's been tried at least once already.

Comment

Ryobi Tool quality is always good but I still cannot accept the color..hu
                    rockwell sonicraft |rockwell sonicrafter|fein fmm blade |power tool|Fein top|tools

Comment

Working...
                    X