X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rapid Max charger stopped working

I am new to the forum and will appreciate any advice.

I purchased two cordless drills complete with a Rapid Max charger less than a year ago. I'm not a professional and have not given them much use except for projects around the house where they've worked flawlessly until this week when the Rapid Max charger seemed to quit on me. When I plug it in to the outlet the light will go on for a few seconds and then go off. When I slide in a battery to re-charge, no light goes on and the batteries do not charge.

I guess the obvious answer is that it is dead and needs to be replaced but I thought I'd reach out to the forun in case there was a magic solution...

Thanks
    Last edited by jjohnson; 05-26-2009, 03:18 PM. Reason: spelling

Re: Rapid Max charger stopped working

Originally posted by jjohnson View Post
    I thought I'd reach out to the forun in case there was a magic solution...

Thanks
    I heard if you sprinkle Unicorn's horn dust onto the battery terminals, it brings it back to life. Bring it to a service center along with your receipt.

Comment

Are your batteries NiCad or Lithium? If they are NiCad, the charge can drop so low that they don't get recognized as batteries. There are some previous posts on this forum that give some advice on how to recondition NiCads with this problem if you do a search.

If you have Lithium batteries, don't try to recondition them, just go to the service center.

Comment

If the battery was the problem, the charger would indicate a defective battery. From what you have described it seems like it is the charger. It should be covered by the 3 year warranty provided you still have the receipt.

If you don't have the receipt, a service center should accept it based on the Serial number. The charger Serial number is a date code. provided the number is later than 0623 (23rd week of 2006) it will still be within the 3 year warranty period. NOTE: If it has 'RECON' stamped into it, you are probably out of luck as those tools only have a 1 year warranty.

Comment

I knew that batteries had a lifetime, but I didn't think that the charger would die on me?
          My charger is out of the three year warranty, and when plugged in the red LED flashes and it never charges a battery. I even ordered some new batteries to be sure that it wasn't a battery issue.

Gotta say I'm very disappointed!

Comment

Originally posted by jeoburge View Post
            I knew that batteries had a lifetime, but I didn't think that the charger would die on me?
            My charger is out of the three year warranty, and when plugged in the red LED flashes and it never charges a battery. I even ordered some new batteries to be sure that it wasn't a battery issue.

Gotta say I'm very disappointed!
            Disappointed in whom?....... Your first post states that you purchased these tools less than a year ago. You tell us above that the charger is out of the three year warranty. That leaves one to assume that you purchased this charger used. When one purchases something used there is no guarantee regarding how that item was used or cared for. It may have been lightly and gently and kindly used by someone like yourself and brought into a nice dry, warm room to rest at night.......or it may have been thrown into a bag with a bunch of other tools and then thrown into the back of a pickup truck and bounced around the countryside to a job site. At the jobsite it could be exposed to dust, rain, snow, surging voltage from a overloaded contractor generator. It could sit outside in freezing or broiling temps while batteries in all conditions of overheat, overdischarge or freezing are slapped into it. That is the life of our chargers because the jobsites can be remote and exposed to all the conditions described. Our crews and our tools are expected to work in these conditions and perform or we replace them.
            You tell us your tools are more than three years old and they have only been in your care less than a year. Do you know what kind of care they had before they arrived in your loving hands?
            I suggest it is time to remember the old maxim "let the buyer beware" before you express to much disappointment with the poor old tool.....Ray
            Last edited by roadrashray; 08-14-2009, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X