X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pressure washer question

Just bought the ridgid 3000 psi 2.6 gpm ( model #rd80701 i think ). Can you only apply detergent with the low pressure soap nozzle? I assumed you would be able to apply soap at high pressure. The unit will only apply soap with the low pressure soap nozzle. Is this common with all models? Are their any advantages to apply soap at pressure? I do not have alot of expierence with pressure washers so any advice would be helpful. I will be washing mainly semi- trucks and trailers on a very small scale basis. Thanks in advance, Shane

Re: Pressure washer question

Yes this is normal as your unit has downstream injection. Most pressure washers "offer" this as it works off of a venturi effect created at low pressure and the cleaners/detergents are pulled in right after the pump's internal parts. This allows you to use pretty much any cleaner/detergent with no harm done to the pump, but always be sure to run plenty of fresh water through it when you finish up, as this rinses the hose, wand, gun, seals, etc.

Upstream injection allows the cleaners/detergents to be pulled into the pump and introduced at high pressure. This allows you to really launch the cleaner much further/higher, but it is harder on the pump because of seal/piston/etc. wear.

To be honest, if I was washing what you plan to I'd try to invest in a hot water setup (commercial pump, engine) possibly on a trailer. The typical homeowner setup really isn't cut out for that kind of workload. Later!

Comment

Thanks shadow. I have gained lots of info from reading your posts about pressure washers and I appreciate it. I was just trying to buy a economical unit that would be similar to the local car wash. I understand what your saying and that for sure would be the best but just didn't want to spend the bucks. I am just trying to keep my truck looking good without having to break the trailer off of it every time I want to wash it. Thanks for your input. Shane

Comment

Yeah anytime..... OK, what you bought should be fine for washing the semi and trailer. I know you had stated "small scale basis", but I guess that description can vary. Sometimes people buy a homeowner setup and then try to run it 8-10 hours daily and most homeowner models just can't handle that.

Most car wash setups don't have very high pressure and as with pretty much all pressure washing jobs it's really the detergents that do most of the work. I'd recommend using something specifically for vehicles for the truck as it's painted and whatever on the trailer, providing it's the usual aluminum type. Most are aluminum right? Might be able to find something specifically for aluminum, maybe acid based so it cleanes/shines like some use on aluminum siding, gutters, etc.

One more thought.... Home Depot sells a nice rotating brush for pressure washers. I think the name brand is PowerCare and it's orange/black. Those things are nice for really brushing away the dirt in harder to reach areas. Later!

Here's a link for it.... http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...3+90282+502376

Comment

Originally posted by shadow745 View Post

One more thought.... Home Depot sells a nice rotating brush for pressure washers. I think the name brand is PowerCare and it's orange/black. Those things are nice for really brushing away the dirt in harder to reach areas. Later!

Here's a link for it.... http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...3+90282+502376

I agree, i bought one and it works very well on cars.

Comment

Originally posted by jmeitz View Post
            I agree, i bought one and it works very well on cars.

This model is very good and very impressive... I also have it at home depot...
            rockwell sonicraft |rockwell sonicrafter|fein fmm blade |power tool|Fein top|tools

Comment

Some of the professional use PwerCare as well
              http://www.proservices.com/category/...s/region/w-us/
              They are of very good quality and are more durable than Kartchers.

Comment

Regarding the ridgid rd80701......

am I the only person with the plate that the engine is mounted onto having the oil drain cut-out actually under the engine and not where it's suppose to be? Meaning my oil would drain onto the plate, and not through a cut-out and into a catch pan?

Thanks,

Steve

Comment

Working...
                X