Advice about Tile Saws

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice about Tile Saws

I'm trying to budget for a few projects I have in mind, and doing tile on my bathroom floors seems like a good project to take on this summer. I have a friend who knows a guy with a tile saw who said he'd have no problem getting it for me to borrow, though this doesn't seem like a very reliable source so I was investigating rent vs. buy. I saw estimates for rental between $50-$65 /day which is pretty expensive. Some cheap tile saws like Home Depot's Workforce brand one goes for $88 http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...10000003+90129

and Sears has pretty much the same exact saw for $79. The major complaint I see about those is the cheap plastic rip fence will most likely break.

The one from Husky looks like the fence is higher quality, and the price isn't terrible either.
    http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...ctId=100569361

We'll probably go with 12" granite tiles, so would it be better to buy one of these saws, or rent a commercial grade one?

Re: Advice about Tile Saws

I've never used a wet saw, but there is also a new Ryobi in the price range of the Husky ($199):
    http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...a&ddkey=Search

Comment

Renting may be expensive over the long run, especially if you require a length of time from start to finish of your project.

Recently I had a tile task and I knew it would take a long while to complete. I purchased the Husky tile saw [around $250.00] at Home Depot.
      Just by sitting around between "work days" I save over $500.00!

I decided on a medium quality wet saw to ensure I get quality results. In my case I do not recommend a cheap saw. Also buy a quality blade, typically the blade that's included with a tile saw is not the greatest!

I used a separate 5 gallon container with clean water and placed the pump into it. I then used the tray to simply hold the dirty water. This method supplies only clean water to the cutting blade thus reducing wear from grit in the water. I have found this to be very successful. This method also ensures the pump will last a long time.

I have cut porcelain, glazed tile, granite, and a limited amount of stone and have used only one blade! I believe this is from using clean water, a quality blade at the get-go, and cutting the product at the correct speed.

Finally when all is complete and you decide not to keep the tile saw around..you can always sell it on E-bay, or Craig's list.... Or lend to your neighbor and you'll never see it again ha ha.

Cactus Man

Comment

Seems like both the Husky and Ryobi will meet my needs, I just need to see them in person to decide.

Comment

Depending what size of a room you are going to do would dictate whether to rent or purchase. I can tell you from experience that Home Depot rents MK Diamond machines that are a far cry from the unit you posted a link to. The trick to renting is to rent the saw when you are ready to use it. The best course of action is to lay all the tiles that don't need to be cut before you rent the saw. When you do it this way, you utilize the saw to it's fullest for the time you pay for. Unless the bathroom is absolutely huge, with a gazillion cuts to make it would not be a reach to be able to finish in 4 hours which is the minimum time HD rents for, if you are ready to start cutting when you hit the job site, tiles marked and you are ready to go.

Unless you have several rooms to tile, why purchase a tool that you might possibly use once or twice in your life. It costs around $50 to rent a tile saw for 24 hours for $200 you could rent it for a week from HD. Spend the $50 to rent, then purchase a tool you will use with the other $150 not something that will sit on a shelf and gather dust.

Comment

Or check craig's list now, there's lot's of tools being sold these days.

Comment

I have a wet bridge saw from Harbor Freight that sells for $200 new (on sale) with a 7" diamond blade that will work perfectly for what you want to use it for. I had one for 3 years and tiled my summer kitchen, bath, laundry, foyer and kitchen floor with it.

I did the diamond pattern which took a million cuts and it worked like a champ.
              It will cut marble, tile, granite up to about 2 CM thick.

With a inexpensive wetsaw of your own, you don't need to worry about rushing to get the rental back.

The saw I have: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=97360

The saw I want to replace it with:
              http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=98265

I just bought the Ridgid 4010 wetsaw more for just wanting to cut thicker stone and brick, but at $650 it is a luxury splurge for me. But- $200 for the HF Wet Bridge Saw is money well spent.
              Last edited by Oakind; 06-23-2009, 12:20 AM.

Comment

I have the 7" Husky saw with a stand. The laser is garbage and it vibrates a bit. Nonethless, I do like that it's small and portable and cuts okay. You just need to slow down the cut. A more expensive saw would cut way faster but this one is okay. I think I've laid about 700 square feet of tile with it and there's plenty of life left. Good for guys like me that just do a bathroom or small kitchen once in awhile. If I were a tile setter as a main business though I would pony up for the real deal. If your just going to use it here and there then it's okay.

Comment

I do have 2 small bathrooms I want to tile, possibly a third when I get to finishing my basement. We also have a German Shepard we adopted now, and eventually we may want to do some type of tile instead of hardwood laminate flooring. I'll wait on the decision to buy a tile saw to see how much flooring in the basement I want to tile. If I end up only doing the 2 smaller bathrooms, I'll just rent.

My fiancee also has the crazy idea of wanting to redo our shower in tile, though I think that's just a disaster waiting to happen with our current DIY skills. The current shower fixture is fine, and I think I'd rather have a pro do that job when we want to upgrade it.

Comment

Working...
                  X