X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments on the Ridgid R4330 13" Portable Planer

I've got a refurbed R4330 ordered and on the way. It would have been more useful to ask first, but I'd like to hear comments about this planer both pro and con.

TIA...

Re: Comments on the Ridgid R4330 13" Portable Planer

Must be I'm the only one who's bought one...

Comment

I'd like to help you out but I went with a DeWalt.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Thanks for the company anyway...at least it's not so lonely on this thread anymore !

Comment

Hewood,

If no one responds, about the only thing I can recommend is to do a search on this site for any reviews or comments that may have been posted.

When I heard the R4330 was coming out, I was concerned that it may be a cheaponed version of the very reputable TP1300 (which is what happened when TTI replaced the Ryobi 1300 with the 1301), I ran out and bought one of the last TP1300's. The following day, my local HD got put the new 4330 on display.

So with a quick visual comparison between the old and the new, I noticed the 4330 did not have a leg set or a cutter head lock. It "improvements" included a 3-cutter head design, four head support/adjustment screw supports instead of the 1300's two screws, and a new design for the dust/chip removal shoot. I contemplated taking my TP1300LS back and exchanging it for the newer model, but decided against it because I simply did not know what kind of "track record" the new unit would have, and the TP1300's reputation was almost flawless (from what I read anyway).

My TP1300 still set in the box waiting for all my other house projects to be completed so that I can start working on a new shop. I have kept my eye on threads mentioning the 4330 however. Not a lot of commentary, which is probably a good thing.

I do recall a few very positive postings regarding the excellent finish that the 3-blade cutter head provides. There was one very recent posting from someone who stated that their 4330 would not feed properly. I have also seen three or four postings regarding the "lack of a cutter-head lock". With the latter, the posts have stated that head "moves" during operation... NOT a good thing. I don't recall a remedy for the movement problem, as such posts sort of just quiet down and no one seems to state what the solution was or whether it was even a real and continueing problem.

Not much to go on, but that's the limit of what I've seen posted. Overall, the 4330 should be a very good planer. The only flaw (if any) would be the lack of a cutter-head lock; but, I say that only from the three or four posts that have mentioned it and nothing more!

Sorry that this isn't more helpful, but at this point you will probably have the 4330 in hand and can see for yourself.

CWS

Comment

Come on all you 4330 owners out there, lets hear your comments regarding your planer. With all the helpful information hewood has provided so many people over the years when it comes to blade selection it's now time to pony up and give him a little pay back.

Comment

I would like to hear more info about this planer too. I thought about getting one during the ultimate power deal, but due to lack of cutterhead lock on this one (and the corresponding new Ryobi) I decided to wait until I can afford the DW735. If other people are having positive experiences with the R4330, maybe I can save $250.

Comment

Thanks for the insights CWS. The 4-post design is supposed to negate the need for a cutterhead lock...same design the DW735 uses. I'm wondering if you need to be sure the threads are positively engaged so you don't get lash. I'm switching from a Delta 22-580 that has been pretty good, but I'm sick of putting up with the inferior dust collection and needing to clean the rollers every 10 passes. I think I would have preferred the DW734/DW735 or the TP1300 to teh R4330, but couldn't seem to find a deal on one. Time will tell if the R4330 was the right choice...

Comment

The last issue of Fine Homebuilding had a review of portable planers. If I remember correctly, the Ridgid came up with the top value award and the Dewalt was overall top pick. I don't have it in front of me to give any qoutes though.

Comment

+1. another WW magazine, the name of which escapes me now, did a similar comparison test and the ridgid was a top value pick, with the dewalt as the best overall pick. FWIW.
                    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

I have owned this model for about 1 1/2 years with no problems. I am an occasional hobbiest. It is my first and only planer so I do not have anything to compare it to. That being said, it leaves a nice surface and has minimal snipe. The snipe can be virtually eliminated with proper setup of in/out tables and appropriate feeding of material. I would call the dust collection good but not great.

Comment

Thanks for the input everyone. I've decided to hold off selling my 22-580 until after I've had a chance to test out the R4330. I'll keep the one I like best.

Comment

Status Update

The R4330 showed up yesterday, and initial test passes show that it works great. It feeds well, DC is decent, it's reasonably quiet, it's easy to use, and the surface is very smooth. The only minor beef I had with the function is that the height adjustment wheel is so small...a slightly larger wheel would make that function much smoother, and is something I may pursue on my own if I end up keeping it.

I did happen to notice that the head of the included hex wrench was rounded over, which immediately flagged some concerns. All 21 of the blade locking screws are cranked down beyond belief, and I can't break free a single one even after tapping them with a hammer, and using a new hex wrench. This is a refurbed machine, and this is certainly something that should be checked by the factory service tech. It's really too bad that humans can be so stupid sometimes...intuitively, you'd think even an untrained remotely mechanically inclined person would know better, and it's inexcusable for a trained technician to do. I'd hate to have this thing serviced right from the get go, but I'll do what I have to do. I have an email into Ridgid's tech support, so will see what they recommend. This is a fairly disturbing nuisance that goes beyond random defects and mechanical failures, but otherwise I'm pleased so far.
                          Last edited by hewood; 06-02-2009, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Re: Status Update

PB Blaster Penetrating Catalyst, , this is the best penetrating oil I've ever used. Try some of this on those screws. Just make sure that you clean it all off before you put it back together.

Comment

I did try some penetrating oil, not the PB Blaster, but Liquid Wrench...that and tapping with a hammer enabled me to free 5 of the 21 screws....my hands are raw from tugging on those hex wrenches....I'm not a little guy and am telling you, those screws were meant to stay put! I emailed Ridgid's CS at 7:15 this morning and have not heard back other than the initial canned response saying they got the email and would get to me soon. Yeah right!

At ~ 4:15 pm I made a call and got through to a technician. They suggested I take it to a service center. My options are basically to spend $50 to ship it back, or drive 50 miles and wait for it.

So far I'm none too impressed with Ridgid service for their lack of email reply, and lack of any incentives for dealing with a problem right out of the box....I'm likely to push for new knives (they're taking a beating while working on the screws), and a new hex wrench. This is my 3rd Ridgid tool, but the first experience with service. If I were reading this from someone else, I'd probably encourage them to be patient...these things happen, it'll all work out, etc., but dang, I'm hot and antsy at the moment!

Comment

Working...
                              X