Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 110 Volt adapters for battery tools

Originally posted by DRC-Wartex View Post
    5v at 100 amps? Did that laptop have #6 gauge wiring in it? I designed circuits and 100 A laptop mobo sounds like a pile of BS to me. You are saying that on a 5v rail you had 500 Watt max draw. Did that laptop have a space heater built in? Typical laptop battery is single voltage (voltage regulators and stepdowns are in the laptop), uses manganese oxide cells that typically output 7A max. I call BS on this one. Also, 18v @ 100A = 1800 watts. Here's a 12v 200A switching power supply:

http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/727...cp-2k4-12.html

$1867 and about 10x10x8" size.

Just stop this stupidity already. Such adapters are NOT FEASIBLE. I feel like I'm on youtube.
    You can call BS all you want. I know what we built and I know what them Grid computers where built for. When they ran off the power supply they powered other test equipment that where plugged into them I am not talking about the little wimpy laptops we use today. I am talking about one the size of a brief case and was literally bullet proof. A deuce and a half can drive over this thing and wouldn't even make it miss a beat. The laptop itself sold for $15K and up. None of the supplies we made where cheap, but that was a while back. I would think with todays technology things would get less expansive to make.

And Hey look someone posted a Dewalt A/C adapter. Go figure.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by DRC-Wartex View Post
      They don't exist for a simple reason that they would be massive in size and weight. Cordless tools use up to 100 A current (35 A average), meaning you will need to have a huge stransformer with thick secondary winding and some powerful diodes for a rectifier. You can buy a lab power supply that can do 50A and 18v, but you are looking at $2000+. Switching power suppy will be even more expensive.

You can buy 3x 6v motorcycle batteries and make a corded adapter for your 18v tools, and just charge the batteries overnight, but that's only suitable for shop use. You will need to use 10-12AWG wire for that too.

That being said, I made 12v adapters for my 12v tools to run off my car battery when I'm fixing my car.
      I got my hands on the new RP340 at my local supply house. they rented me a brand new unit so I could do a quick job with 1 1/2" fittings. Guess what it had in it? a Corded battery adapter, and it was amazing. Great job Ridgid, I knew you could do it!

Attached Files
      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Makita has had 1 for a while. it fits the nibco line of press tools. but unless ridged changed it's design, it should also fit the ridgid press tool also.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
        X