Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 110 Volt adapters for battery tools

Originally posted by DRC-Wartex View Post
    5v at 100 amps? Did that laptop have #6 gauge wiring in it? I designed circuits and 100 A laptop mobo sounds like a pile of BS to me. You are saying that on a 5v rail you had 500 Watt max draw. Did that laptop have a space heater built in? Typical laptop battery is single voltage (voltage regulators and stepdowns are in the laptop), uses manganese oxide cells that typically output 7A max. I call BS on this one. Also, 18v @ 100A = 1800 watts. Here's a 12v 200A switching power supply:

http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/727...cp-2k4-12.html

$1867 and about 10x10x8" size.

Just stop this stupidity already. Such adapters are NOT FEASIBLE. I feel like I'm on youtube.
    You can call BS all you want. I know what we built and I know what them Grid computers where built for. When they ran off the power supply they powered other test equipment that where plugged into them I am not talking about the little wimpy laptops we use today. I am talking about one the size of a brief case and was literally bullet proof. A deuce and a half can drive over this thing and wouldn't even make it miss a beat. The laptop itself sold for $15K and up. None of the supplies we made where cheap, but that was a while back. I would think with todays technology things would get less expansive to make.

And Hey look someone posted a Dewalt A/C adapter. Go figure.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    Ron's Facebook
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by DRC-Wartex View Post
      They don't exist for a simple reason that they would be massive in size and weight. Cordless tools use up to 100 A current (35 A average), meaning you will need to have a huge stransformer with thick secondary winding and some powerful diodes for a rectifier. You can buy a lab power supply that can do 50A and 18v, but you are looking at $2000+. Switching power suppy will be even more expensive.

You can buy 3x 6v motorcycle batteries and make a corded adapter for your 18v tools, and just charge the batteries overnight, but that's only suitable for shop use. You will need to use 10-12AWG wire for that too.

That being said, I made 12v adapters for my 12v tools to run off my car battery when I'm fixing my car.
      I got my hands on the new RP340 at my local supply house. they rented me a brand new unit so I could do a quick job with 1 1/2" fittings. Guess what it had in it? a Corded battery adapter, and it was amazing. Great job Ridgid, I knew you could do it!

Attached Files
      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
      Ron's Facebook
      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Makita has had 1 for a while. it fits the nibco line of press tools. but unless ridged changed it's design, it should also fit the ridgid press tool also.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

We are all looking for the 44468 cordless adapter, sold on amazon for the amazing lowlow price of $258. The questions is, why is it so hard to find on Ridgid.com, why is it so expensive, and will it work with other tools?

Note:The comments says the product is not as shown, it is just a charger when you get it!

From forums:
          [COLOR=black][FONT=Tahoma]Q: I'm guessing the 18v batteries used in this press tool are not compatiblewith RIDGID(TTI) cordless 18v tools, is that correct?
          Last edited by happy_hipster; 11-27-2015, 09:14 AM.

Comment

• Alphacowboy
            Alphacowboy commented
            Editing a comment
            You are correct, the power tool batteries are different than the ones used on the press tools...

Doesn't Ridgid make a rapid charger for you guys? I find having a ton of high-cap batteries, a lot of cordless tools and a rapid charger, I never run out. Ever.

I have corded backup for almost every cordless tool, yet with planning and discipline I've successfully removed them all from the truck. Trade off is better organized and more room...not to mention overwhelming convenience and efficiency of cordless. Of course, in addition to an 1-1/8'' cordless M18 hammer drill, still I keep a corded 2'' Makita AVT and a lighter-weight corded Bosch hammer drill onboard. Sometimes corded just gets the job done better and/or faster. Furthermore, Makita isn't going to make ever its 75lb demo hammer cordless. Then again, I don't keep it on the truck anyway. Point here is...make sure you're using the properly matched tool (power-wise) for the job. If you're gulping down batteries by overwhelming them, substitute for corded.

My recommendation here is learn to manage better your batteries, tools and stay organized. It's good habit/professionalism, and you won't find yourself SOL. For one, ALWAYS bring along a fully/near-fully charged LED flashlight that uses the same battery as your active tool battery. Right there you always have a spare. All my tools have a LED light, so I can operate without the LED flashlight temporarily. Other than this, well, you're probably too disorganized and my guess is even with every possible gadget...some people will still find a way to run out of brain power first.

Comment

Working...
          X