110 Volt adapters for battery tools

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 110 Volt adapters for battery tools

I have various Ridgid tools that use the same batteries, I have lots of batteries, and several chargers. With all that, I still sometimes get stuck on a job with all batteries either dead or on charge.

I wish there was a 110 volt adapter that would plug into the tools where the battery goes and let me operate it as a corded tool until I get back a charged battery.

Has anyone heard of such a device?

Re: 110 Volt adapters for battery tools

I don't know if they can do that but it is a great idea.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Years ago I was on a job site and I seen a Black and Decker that had an AC adaptor jack on the side of the drill. Thanks to Google I found the drill but the AC adaptor was only meant to charge the drill, NOT charge and use. I know you would need 120V to provide enough power to use the cordless drill - corded but I was amazed I found the drill. Good idea but may be hard to implement.

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-BDG1200K-12-Volt-Cordless/dp/B000J4446I
      Last edited by JimMO; 06-03-2009, 06:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gdebruin1 View Post
        I have various Ridgid tools that use the same batteries, I have lots of batteries, and several chargers. With all that, I still sometimes get stuck on a job with all batteries either dead or on charge.

I wish there was a 110 volt adapter that would plug into the tools where the battery goes and let me operate it as a corded tool until I get back a charged battery.

They don't exist for a simple reason that they would be massive in size and weight. Cordless tools use up to 100 A current (35 A average), meaning you will need to have a huge stransformer with thick secondary winding and some powerful diodes for a rectifier. You can buy a lab power supply that can do 50A and 18v, but you are looking at $2000+. Switching power suppy will be even more expensive.

You can buy 3x 6v motorcycle batteries and make a corded adapter for your 18v tools, and just charge the batteries overnight, but that's only suitable for shop use. You will need to use 10-12AWG wire for that too.

That being said, I made 12v adapters for my 12v tools to run off my car battery when I'm fixing my car.

Comment

Originally posted by gdebruin1 View Post

This has been brought up here many times in the past. Do a search and you should uncover at least 5 threads on the subject where it was beat to death more than once.
          "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
          John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

I have never seen this adaptor before. But I think it should be very expensive
            rockwell sonicraft |rockwell sonicrafter|fein fmm blade |power tool|Fein top|tools

Comment

DeWalt sold a corded adapter for their 24 volt series that was the same

size as the battery . I remember seeing one on ebay for $105.00.

That 24 volt hammerdrill was awesome . Hated to see them go .

Comment

Originally posted by tmax View Post
                DeWalt sold a corded adapter for their 24 volt series that was the same

size as the battery . I remember seeing one on ebay for $105.00.

That 24 volt hammerdrill was awesome . Hated to see them go .
                If they've made cordless adapters for 24 v tools, how hard would it be to make one for 18 v?

DRC-Wartex's post explained that cordless tools have such a high current draw that cordless adapters are impractical. I used to work in a lab that had a couple high quality power supplies, and agree that $2,000 is the least you'd be paying for a quality lab unit.

Computer power supply units have come a long way in the last 10 years however. I've even read about projects where hobbyists have converted computer PSUs to usable benchtop power supplies. A nice Corsair PSU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...20CMPSU-1000HX goes for about $250. It's capable of supplying 12v on 2 rails up to 40 amps each. What would a conversion to 18v cordless power tool specs require?

I wouldn't attempt a modification of something like this to power a cordless power tool since my electrical skills aren't up to par, but would it be a practical project for others who work with electricity more?

Comment

Try " instuctables.com " .

Search for " cordless tool adapter ".

Comment

For cordless tools you don't need super filtering or regulation but on the other hand you won't want just a transformer and rectifier such as a battery charger for lead-acid or Ni-Cad batteries would be. The bottom line comes down to cost and is it something that really would sell.

I think the best bet is to evaluate your power tool use and those tools where you need real power and long run times, get yourself good corded tools. With the adapter (If you did find one) you're back to dealing with a power cord.

What I really want to see are smarter chargers where if you have several types of batteries of a given brand, the smart charger can safely and effectively charge all of them.
                    Last edited by Woussko; 06-06-2009, 05:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                      For cordless tools you don't need super filtering or regulation but on the other hand you won't want just a transformer and rectifier such as a battery charger for lead-acid or Ni-Cad batteries would be. The bottom line comes down to cost and is it something that really would sell.
                      A capacitor in parallel in output rail will smooth it out good enough. Also most modern SLA and NiCd charger are far more advanced than transformer+rectifier.

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                      What I really want to see are smarter chargers where if you have several types of batteries of a given brand, the smart charger can safely and effectively charge all of them.
                      There are hundreds of them. Example
                      http://www.mytoolstore.com/10ctech/tctindex.html

Also a simple Dewalt charger will charge any voltage and any brand of NiCd and NiMH batteries.

Comment

I used to work for a place called Micro Energy, they designed and built switching power supplies, and one of the ones I helped with was for Grid Computer systems. They had a laptop that was bullet proof, and they wanted the ability to remove the battery and install a power supply into where the battery was. We made t his happen. The specs on the supply where 5 volts at 100 amps, 12 volts 5 amps, -12 volts 2 amps. I do not see why they can not make a switching power supply that can produce the 18 volts at th e needed amperage.

We made all sorts of switching power supplies used in all sorts of applications, computers, heart monitors, spectrum analyzers and so on. My job there was a test fixture engineer, bench technician, and a field technician.
                        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                          I used to work for a place called Micro Energy, they designed and built switching power supplies, and one of the ones I helped with was for Grid Computer systems. They had a laptop that was bullet proof, and they wanted the ability to remove the battery and install a power supply into where the battery was. We made t his happen. The specs on the supply where 5 volts at 100 amps, 12 volts 5 amps, -12 volts 2 amps. I do not see why they can not make a switching power supply that can produce the 18 volts at th e needed amperage.

We made all sorts of switching power supplies used in all sorts of applications, computers, heart monitors, spectrum analyzers and so on. My job there was a test fixture engineer, bench technician, and a field technician.
                          5v at 100 amps? Did that laptop have #6 gauge wiring in it? I designed circuits and 100 A laptop mobo sounds like a pile of BS to me. You are saying that on a 5v rail you had 500 Watt max draw. Did that laptop have a space heater built in? Typical laptop battery is single voltage (voltage regulators and stepdowns are in the laptop), uses manganese oxide cells that typically output 7A max. I call BS on this one. Also, 18v @ 100A = 1800 watts. Here's a 12v 200A switching power supply:

http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/727...cp-2k4-12.html

$1867 and about 10x10x8" size.

Just stop this stupidity already. Such adapters are NOT FEASIBLE. I feel like I'm on youtube.

Comment

Sometimes I'm a little down......and I come here and DRC-Wartex cheers me up with his lighthearted posts.

Comment

Here is the elusive Dewalt 24v AC/DC converter.
                              http://cgi.ebay.com/DEWALT-DW0247-24...3A3%7C294%3A50

Old press release from 2000 about the converter for 24v tools. Something interesting is the mention of ther converter being patented. I wonder if that has anything to do with no one else making such a thing, besides the lack of interest in such an item.
                              http://www.dewalt.com/us/articles/pr...ordless&ID=177

Comment

Working...
                              X