X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3300 psi pressure washer blows smoke

My RD80763 (3300 PW) has less than an hour of runtime. Iwas using it yesterday with the 15 angle tip. After 5 minutes, the engine started shaking and blew a big puff of (oil) smoke from the muffler. I was on level ground, I had adequate water supply, I added the prescribed oil upon assembly.

In the course of the next 15 minutes, it blew smoke 2 more times. I shut it off and checked the oil...good. I started it again and ran for 5 more minutes...no problem. What happened?!

Rob

Re: 3300 psi pressure washer blows smoke

do these engins require and oil/gas mix?

Comment

No, it comes out of the box with specific instructions to the pre-measured oil to the crankcase.

Comment

To answer the question about the customer with the oil smoke issue, the answer is that the oil is getting into the combustion chamber or muffler. Here are the possible reasons:

1. If the unit is new, it may have been stored up side down or on its side and the small amount of oil that remains in the crankcase after production will seep into the combustion chamber or the carburetor or the muffler or the breather system. If this happens the engine will smoke a little during the first tank of fuel and then run properly.

2. Another likely cause, based on the owner's description, is that there is too much oil in the crankcase. An "over fill" situation will cause the oil to either bypass by the piston and rings from the lower crankcase into the combustion chamber or bypass the breather oil control system and enter the air cleaner and carburetor. In both cases, the engine will smoke until the oil level is reduced to the correct level.

3. Sometimes the user will mistakenly use fuel mixed for their 2-cycle equipment in their 4-cycle engine. Of course, the engine will smoke profusely in that situation. The solution is to replace the mixed fuel with standard gasoline and run until the smoke clears.

4. The least likely situation is that the piston rings gaps are aligned or the rings are cracked. This is extremely rare. I have seen this twice in 20 years in this business. The engine will produce huge amount of exhaust smoke at all times that the engine is running. The solution is to replace the rings.

Based on the customers last comment: " I shut it off and checked the oil...good. I started it again and ran for
        5 more minutes...no problem."
        ... I would say that the answer is #1 listed above.

I hope this answers the question. Please contact Robin America at the email address listed below if anyone has any questions about Subaru Robin engines.. Thanks.

Brad Murphy
        VP Sales & Marketing
        Robin America, Inc.
        905 Telser Road
        Lake Zurich IL 60047 USA
        service@robinamerica.com

Comment

Rob

Was it gray-white, blue or black smoke? Was it a quick puff or did it last for more than just a few seconds each time?

Something I highly recommend doing is to drain out the oil that's in the engine now and then fill it with #30 heavy duty engine oil. Where you are it's pretty warm and this in many cases works better than 5W-30 or 10W-30 oil. I wouldn't go for a synthetic for now. Your engine holds 20 Fl Oz of oil. If you can please use a good measuring cup or such.

In addition after about 5 more hours of use, please change the oil again.

If you would like the engine manual as a .PDF file, here is where you can get it.
          http://www.robinamerica.com/media/ma...8551584055.pdf
          Last edited by Woussko; 06-10-2009, 07:28 PM.

Comment

Woussko,

It was a white smoke and it lasted for a few seconds. I ran the PW (under load) for about 15 minutes, yesterday and there were no problems whatsoever.

Thanks for your response and advice!

Rob

Comment

Rob

I'm glad it ran well for you. My gut tells me it could be a slight overfill of oil and it may be foaming. Also, some brands/types tend to foam more than others. That can cause the oil to get into the breather and make for smoking. As long as it keeps behaving, then good. I do however strongly recommend a few frequent oil changes during breaking in.

I like to do the first at 1-2 hours and another after about 5 more hours. From there follow the manual pretty much.

Comment

Thanks! You da man!

Comment

"3. Sometimes the user will mistakenly use fuel mixed for their 2-cycle equipment in their 4-cycle engine. Of course, the engine will smoke profusely in that situation. The solution is to replace the mixed fuel with standard gasoline and run until the smoke clears."

Well, as far as Honda and B&S engines go, with the CARB super lean restrictions on these engines , using TCW3 premix oil, I have seen no issues with 50:1 pre mix even though they are 4 cycle. Older engines would smoke as they are running much richer.

Comment

Just for fun I tried running a 50:1 mix of Stihl regular (orange bottle) 2-Cycle Engine Oil in an old Briggs & Stratton L Head (valves in block) engine. I could smell a bit more stink in the exhaust but there was no more visible smoke. Later I tried running a 32:1 mix of gasoline and #30 non detergent (the cheapo stuff) in the old B & S engine and could see some blue smoke in the exhaust, but it wasn't that heavy. With a 16:1 mix the old engine smoked heavy and the spark plug fouled quickly. I only made up small batches of the mixed fuel so I could add just gasoline and run it out.

In all of my 4 stroke cycle engines I normally run a mix of 1 Oz. Marvel Mystery Oil to 2 to 2.5 gallons of gasoline. I've found that over time this does pay off with engine life and better fuel economy. The problem is finding a good price on gallons of it. If I get it in quarts it just costs too much and thus I save no $$$ in the long run. Some time ago I stocked up on MM oil and I'm glad I did.

If someone did put the wrong fuel into the fuel tank, it would have kept on smoking until the fuel was used up, or diluted with just gasoline.
                    If any of you have an old junker lawnmower with a 4 stroke cycle engine, sometime put a little Diesel fuel in the tank. You want to start the engine on just gasoline, but once warmed up most will run on a 1/2 - 1/2 mix but they will smoke. You need to run the engine until you've burned up all of this fuel. Starting a cold gasoline engine on this stuff is very hard if you can do it. Starting fluid helps, but it's best to try to be careful and get things right. Do label your fuel cans well.
                    Last edited by Woussko; 06-16-2009, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Woussko

You make a great point about the lack of exhaust smoke caused by using modern higher ration 2-cycle fuel mix. I will remember that 32:1 and higher may not cause much visible exhaust smoke.

Brad Murphy
                      Subaru-Robin Engines

Comment

Originally posted by Subaru_Engines View Post
                        Woussko

You make a great point about the lack of exhaust smoke caused by using modern higher ration 2-cycle fuel mix. I will remember that 32:1 and higher may not cause much visible exhaust smoke.

Brad Murphy
                        Subaru-Robin Engines
                        Thanks and let's hope people get the right fuel in the tank for a given engine. I hate a local landscaper that runs 32:1 with very low grade #30 non-detergent oil in all of his new 2 cycle engines because the right old costs a little more. We all know him as STINKY BLOWER GUY. They do blow some blue smoke running.

Comment

Working...
                        X