X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pneumatic Impact Wrench

I just had a Husky Impact Wrench die on me with no warning. Can anyone recommend a quality replacement? I'm not familiar with what brands are good and which aren't.

Re: Pneumatic Impact Wrench

If you plan on replacing with another pneumatic, I don't know a whole lot about them. I've been reading reviews and researching since eventually I'd like to have a compressor and some air tools. Ingersoll-Rand seems to make nice pneumatics, though a bit pricey. Craftsman has some cheaper options that get okay reviews.

I've also considered getting a cordless impact wrench since I wouldn't be using it all day long, and I like the added convenience and portability. Milwaukee has an 18v 1/2" impact wrench capable of 450 lb. torque.

Comment

Smack, What were you doing when the impact driver failed?

The pneumatic tool is not very complex internally and you may be able to locate a
      repair kit.
      If the tool is still within the warranty period ...well you know the drill.

If you can provide details of its use and failure, perhaps a solution can be achieved.

For example:

If you simply abuse tools then I'd suggest buying a replacement from Harbor Freight tools.
      Their pneumatic tools vary from junk to pretty good considering the price.
      They can be abused and simply tossed when they fail without guilt.

Buying Ingersoll-Rand is very costly and in my opinion overkill for a homeowner's pneumatic tool collection. Typically, if you use the pneumatic tool every day at work etc. then a $$$ and high quality unit is the obvious choice.

I have a Harbor Freight pneumatic impact wrench for over 10 years. I paid $29.00 at Harbor Freight. I use it when servicing the John Deere tractor and when doing some metal work. I always oiled it before use, cleaned it after use, and used the correct air pressure.

This is not meant to be a lecture, rather advice with respect

Cactus Man

Comment

I agree that a lot depends on your usage. Cheap guns may work fine and last for years under the right circumstances but they don't have the torque that a quality tool will put out.

Chicago Pneumatic is a good tool used in a lot of auto repair and machine shops. Don't be mislead by knock off brands with names and logos that are made to be close to Chicago Pneumatic (often called "CP").

The last several I bought when I owned a machine shop were Snap On, which were very pricey but worth it - very rugged and a LOT of torque. In my view, these are the best available, but you have to really need that level of performance to justify the insanely high price.

Ingersoll-Rand publishes some good specs on their impact, but I haven't used them. Specs are great, but I've used some impacts that were supposed to be strong and weren't, so I would hold out for someone that has first hand experience.

As an impact accumulates hours, the output decreases. So we used to keep "beater" guns (well-used CP's) for most use and grab a Snap On for stubborn stuff.

By the way, we used impacts to take things apart but NEVER to put them together.

As mentioned earlier, if you get a name brand tool you can get rebuild kits and keep these things going nearly forever. Not sure if parts are available for throw away Chinese-made guns. If it's cheap enough and you can live with the modest output torque, that could be fine.

Dribble a couple drops of air tool oil or Marvel Mystery Oil in the inlet and pull the trigger for a second at the end of each day.

Check eBay, you can pick up pretty good deals on all brands of pneumatic tools there.

Good luck,

-Andy

Comment

Some great advice given already! I would agree there are many variables to consider, so more information would be helpful. Personally, I only use an impact wrench for removing wheel lug bolts. I currently use an electric impact but am considering the freedom of a cordless heavy duty 1/2" impact wrench. Several manufacturers are offering such a cordless tool (not Ridgid) and I like the specs on the Milwaukee M18 with 450ftlbs of torque. If you are happy using a cord or air hose, it is much cheaper to avoid cordless. Good luck.

Comment

Ingersoll rand was mentioned already... I own the IR thudergun! It has worked flawless for me for almost 6 years. I'd recommend it to anyone out there!

Comment

If you're someone who likes to stick with better quality tools, then go with ingersol. Im a auto tech and use my 1/2", 3/8", and 1/4" ingersol guns 5-6 days a week all day long. I oil them when I remember, grease them maybe once a year. My 1/2" and 3/8" are now 8 years old. These are both the older composite models, since then they have revised the composites to have titanium nosepieces and a bit more power. The 1/2" one is one of the "quiet" models; it's really nice! I can promise you won't be dissapointed going ingersol, but like others have said it's pricier up front.

Comment

The IR-231G = Junk from China and the IR-231C is a good one from Japan. You can't just say you want a model 231 and be safe. Read all the info on the nameplate. The IR231-C is a tried and proven 1/2" model that's served many tire dealers needs for a good long time.

Now if you have $$$ and want a long term investment then take a look at the industrial side of Ingersol-Rand or Garner-Denver but the $$$ may make you back down fast. For the DIYer you don't need such a tool.

What really matters is having clean, dry and pressure regulated air at the inlet, proper care and lubing and sending it out now and then to a good service center.
                Last edited by Woussko; 06-10-2009, 11:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                  The IR-231G = Junk from China and the IR-231C is a good one from Japan. You can't just say you want a model 231 and be safe. Read all the info on the nameplate. The IR231-C is a tried and proven 1/2" model that's served many tire dealers needs for a good long time.

Now if you have $$$ and want a long term investment then take a look at the industrial side of Ingersol-Rand or Garner-Denver but the $$$ may make you back down fast. For the DIYer you don't need such a tool.

What really matters is having clean, dry and pressure regulated air at the inlet, proper care and lubing and sending it out now and then to a good service center.
                  Good post, and along the lines of "clean, dry, air", several years ago I put a "coalesser" just past my regulator on the compressor. This small unit with filter can be drained of the water it collects along of course with the regular draining of the compressor tank(s).

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                    Some great advice given already! I would agree there are many variables to consider, so more information would be helpful. Personally, I only use an impact wrench for removing wheel lug bolts. I currently use an electric impact but am considering the freedom of a cordless heavy duty 1/2" impact wrench. Several manufacturers are offering such a cordless tool (not Ridgid) and I like the specs on the Milwaukee M18 with 450ftlbs of torque. If you are happy using a cord or air hose, it is much cheaper to avoid cordless. Good luck.
                    That's about all I've used it for. Got a whole set of Husky air tools with the compressor, the other I went to use and nothing, just air shooting out of the trigger. Probably my fault for not oiling enough, I used it so little each time the maintenance got away from me.

What about Campbell Hausfield - my impression is that they were once a good name, but have gottent cheap to be competitive.

Comment

Ingersoll Rand 231C 1/2-Inch Super Duty Air Impact Wrench . a professional diesel mechanic bought it, and he will not buy any other impact but this one. His first one lasted me for 10 years, through drops, kicks, no oiling, etc. He only doesn't have it anymore because He moved and sold it to a friend who still uses it. He has put this thing head to head with impacts 3 times the price of this one, and it has always been the strongest and most powerful. Most of the people in my last shop borrowed mine because it was the most powerful in the shop, and nearly everyone at my new shop has one. Buy it, you won't be disappointed...
                      rockwell sonicraft |rockwell sonicrafter|fein fmm blade |power tool|Fein top|tools

Comment

Ingersol rand is a great brand of air tools
                        Chicago Pneumatic is just below ingersol
                        Craftsman air tools are ok
                        as an argument for chicago pnuematic we have 1/2 from chicago pnuematic that is most likely 20 years old or more and a few years ago i snapped the lgnuts off a chevy blazer with it

Comment

Working...
                        X