X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cordless Drill recommendations

My trusty 18v dewalt hammer drill is finally going out after 5 years of faithful service. The magic smoke appeared but it still works but afraid it's only a matter of time.

A lot has changed in drills after 5 years, what do you like? I need a contractor grade cordless hammerdrill/drill with a 1/2" chuck and preferably Dewalt so I can use the batteries on everything else. Is that new nano batteries worth it?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Cordless Drill recommendations

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
    My trusty 18v dewalt hammer drill is finally going out after 5 years of faithful service. The magic smoke appeared but it still works but afraid it's only a matter of time.

A lot has changed in drills after 5 years, what do you like? I need a contractor grade cordless hammerdrill/drill with a 1/2" chuck and preferably Dewalt so I can use the batteries on everything else. Is that new nano batteries worth it?
    Oh yeah the nano batteries are worth it. I have the impact driver and the dc927 hammer drill along with more tools and the batteries have been great so far. As for your drill, well I heard a couple of bad reviews on my dc927 but I have been using it quite a bit for about 6-7 months with no problems.

Comment

I own the new DCD950 and I just slap on my XRP lithium ion batteries. I think the DCD950 has a good leg up on the competition!

Comment

Dewalt DC950 or 970 hands down. The longest running and most powerful drill on the market now. They are both the same model except the 950 sells with the NiCD batteries and matching base while the 970 sells with the nano batteries and short base. Batteries are still interchangable between the two. Just cosmetic differences in the battery base. The nano batteries would be highly recommended.

Comment

I don't own DeWalt but would tell you to get theirs because FINALLY one company has made batteries backwards compatible.

J.C.

Comment

DeWalt's cordless SDS...will make your job a whole lot easier.
            http://www.factoryauthorizedoutlet.c...%5CDC212KA.asp

Comment

Gear Junkie

Try asking yourself this: What model is your trusty hammer drill? What do you currently have in the way of a good charger and batteries? To save some good $$$ you might try to find a "bare tool" replacement for the hammer drill where you can use your current batteries and charger with it.

You may want to call up TOOL KING at 1-800-696-8665 as they normally have several models of DeWalt cordless hammer drills that they sell as just the bare tool. You may want to take a look here too, but I recommend a phone call to check just what is in stock at a given time.

One they claim to have in stock that's NEW and just the tool: http://www.toolking.com/dewalt_18v_c...ly_dc925b.aspx

Same but reconditioned: http://www.toolking.com/DeWalt_DC925...r_18-volt.aspx

The above two use the XRP batteries that you most likely already have.

General info on DeWalt cordless hammer drills: http://www.toolking.com/category/sea...er-drills.aspx
              Last edited by Woussko; 06-13-2009, 11:11 PM.

Comment

Sears has their 11910 on sale for $159. Two 19.2V Li-Ion batteries and a quick charger. Charger can charge the C3 Nicads too.

it comes with a bonus weather radio. Also comes with a free canvas toolbag.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...?keyword=drill
                Last edited by alkemyst; 06-17-2009, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by alkemyst View Post
                  Sears has their 11910 on sale for $159. Two 19.2V Li-Ion batteries and a quick charger. Charger can charge the C3 Nicads too.

My friend picked up a C3 tools combo kit about a month ago, he says he really likes them and the battery charge lasts a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by alkemyst View Post

Or just buy the darn thing by itself for 59.99.

Comment

No my statement is true because every review and test so far has proven that the 950/970 drills are not only capable of performing the same side by side tests significantly faster than any competing drill but the drills also run substantially longer per battery amp hour. I'm not even going to go again into the uselessness of torque as a rating for drill power. Thats been discussed to death already. FYI torque ratings are based on the lowest gear not the fastest. A drill rated at 560 in/lbs@300 rpm actually has less torque per rpm than one generating 500in/lbs at 500rpm.
                      Last edited by Velosapien; 06-17-2009, 10:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                        Another option you can consider is ordering a new motor for the drill from dewalt servicenet. It should cost about $20 to $30 depending on the model and replacing the motor is very easy.

Comment

What pisses me off is batteries. Every drill I've used this is the weak link. The drill itself can break if used outside of it's design but I find the batteries to always die first.

That would be ok. A certain lifespan can be expected.

But the battery cost and efforts to NOT make them backwards compatible really pisses me off to no end.

I have a Bosch 18V that I can tell the batteries are weakening.

I just checked the battery cost on Amazon. $79.95 bucks a piece.

I can buy a Bosch Drill, 2 batteries, charger, case, double ended bit. $160.83.

They say they want people to be "Green" with recycling but I don't give a darn what they say, they are encouraging people to just throw away a good drill.

J.C.

Comment

I buy my DeWalt batteries from ebay. I've accumulated quite a collection of brand new 18V Li-Ion "Nano" batteries and none of them have cost me more than $70 including shipping. Home Depot wants about $150 for them. Until I found this I was ready to ditch the DeWalt because of the battery cost. I also have bought "bare tool" drills on ebay and used my old cases. Another great deal. Between the new, the closeouts, the fixes, and ebay I now have (in good shape): 11 Nano batteries, 3 XRP batteries, 2 hammerdrill XRP, 2 standard XRP, 2 single nano charger, 1 regular charger, and one dual nano charger. All 18 volt. Average cost about $50/battery, $100/drill, and $40/charger. Once in awhile I get a fairly decent size deck or fence and let me say this: we do not run shy on power. The newer Dewalt nano is the way to go. Like the old days when they first came out. Gets the job done and paid for themselves no problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jim
                              That statement is simply not true. The DeWalt drills mentioned generate only 450 in. lbs. of torque @ 2,000 rpm. The Milwaukee M18 High Performance Hammer Drill (2611-24) delivers 650 in. lbs of torque @ 1,800 rpm, but it's the torque that counts when it comes to power. To match Milwaukee's power you would have to go to a 28V DC910 DeWalt. Even the regular M18 (2602-20) delivers 550 in. Lbs. of torque. I know that everyone has their own preference. Just get the facts straight before bragging on yours. Milwaukee has always been the standard in the trades and after 35 yrs. in the trade, Milwaukee is my choice.
                              This is so inaccurate bro. Every review shows hands down that the DCD950 and dcd970 beets all the drills out there. The closest ones are the Bosch and Makita BHP454

Comment

Working...
                              X