X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Have you ever tried a Hackzall?

I think those Ridgid 18v Fuego ones are sold individually in our Home Depot stores here in Canada. I'll have to take a look next time I'm in there. Now, I could be mistaken - they could be the corded versions - but I'm 80/20 that they were indeed the cordless ones. I'll check on it next time I'm in there.

Comment

Thanks for all the responses. I wounder why ridgid doesn't offer the tools by themselves. I doubt I'm the only one who wants them.

Comment

Always a chance, but to date our efforts in compact saws have been geared toward the one-hand at 18V. However, in talking with the product teams, there are all sorts of ideas for both voltages that I think will be well received.

Comment

Originally posted by ProBrand View Post
          Always a chance, but to date our efforts in compact saws have been geared toward the one-hand at 18V. However, in talking with the product teams, there are all sorts of ideas for both voltages that I think will be well received.
          Good to hear. Thanks ProBrand - we always look forward to playing...er, working with new toys...er, tools.

Comment

Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
            I think those Ridgid 18v Fuego ones are sold individually in our Home Depot stores here in Canada. I'll have to take a look next time I'm in there. Now, I could be mistaken - they could be the corded versions - but I'm 80/20 that they were indeed the cordless ones. I'll check on it next time I'm in there.
            Nope, my bad - they are not sold as a stand-alone item. What I saw was a kit with the corded versions of the orbital recip saw and then the corded version of the one-handed Fuego one. Sorry.

Comment

finally caved in and bought a driver/hackzall kit. Was $199 CAD, $100 less than average price and cheaper than on eBay. I now have a 36v, 18v and 10.8v recip saws. Noticed that the blade shaft holder turns about a degree, wonder how it will affect accuracy. Will take the batteries apart tomorrow, holding my fingers crossed they have Sonys inside. I'm also gonna do a test with cutting a 2" sewer pipe to do the "plumber" test. Will post youtube vid here. It sucks that the shoe is not adjustable, but I already have a plan on changing that.

Comment

just used mine today to cut a 6'' pvc sdr35 strom drain line.

unless they have 2 different models, mine is a 12 volt hackzall.

have 3 batteries plus 2 more in another tool so i'm good to go.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  unless they have 2 different models, mine is a 12 volt hackzall.
                  I call them 10.8 because they are 12v for about 20 minutes after coming off the charger or 5 seconds after you press the trigger. After that they are 10.8 or less.

Comment

so is my makita that's stamped 10.8 a true 10.8 or is it less when used?

the physical size of the battery packs look similar.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                      so is my makita that's stamped 10.8 a true 10.8 or is it less when used?

the physical size of the battery packs look similar.

rick.
                      The container that holds the cells is the same for all of them, they just add rails and tabs to prevent people from sticking them in other brand's chargers/tools and change the "shoe" of the battery. You can charge Makita with Bosch charger and vice versa for example. There are 3 additional pins beside +/-, one is a thermistor and 2 other ones are leads to joints between cells 1-2 and 2-3 for balancing purposes (so all cells have same voltage).

No, Makita is not lying, it's 10.8 (3 cells at 3.6v nominal). After you take it off the charger it's also 12v.

It's Milwaukee and Bosch are lying about 12v. Bosch changed from 10.8 to 12 because of Milwaukee and AEG (aka Ridgid here in NA).
                      http://www.toolmonkey.co.uk/category....htm?catID=126

See, labeled as 12v.

I just took the milwaukee battery apart. The cells are eMoli IMR18650E. BAH!!! They are 1.4 Ah.
                      http://www.molicel.com/hq/product/DM_IMR18650E.pdf

Look at cycle life - 18% capacity loss at 200 cycles (this is the part where I slap roadrashray et al for stories about magic batteries that last many many years with daily use).

Compare to Dewalt's A123 cells with 15% loss at 1800 cycles. That's what I hate about Ridgid and Milwaukee. Hopefully they will ween off eMoli tit and stop misleading the public about "2000 charge warranty".

If Milwaukee used A123 cells, especially in their "high capacity" batteries (the new ones, 6-cell ones) they would be the best sumbcompacts ever created. Imagine a driver spitting out 400 in/lbs or a hackzall that can cut 5 inch cast iron pipes!

Look at discharge chart (top left), cells stay above 4v only for a short time.

Milwaukee 12v batteries cost just as much as Ryobi/Ridgid, so you can just steal the cells from them enough for 3 rebuilds of milwaukee.

Comment

Working...
                      X