X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New R4511 table saw blade will not raise correctly

I just recently purchased the granite topped R4511.
    There is a lot of resistance raising the saw blade. It goes smoother in spots and then gets more difficult. I figured being brand new that running it up and down a few times would help to loosen it up, spread the lubrication, etc.
    After lowering it all the way down I can now only get it a little better than half way up. It gets really tight and when I apply more pressure it slips right up over the worm gear and I think is causing damage to the gear.

Anyone else have this happen? Any suggestions in getting this to work smoothly before it causes serious damage to the gears?

Seems to be a great saw except for this and that the left side wing was cut incorrectly and was 1/16" off. Swapped the wing with the floor model at the local Home Depot. They did not believe me at first until they measured and then tried telling me it did not make a difference and you can adjust for it with the fence but I insisted it would be bad for the fence alignment.

Re: New R4511 table saw blade will not raise correctly

What is the measurement from the top of the blade to the top of the table top when the blade it at its highest point. If it's somewhere in the neighborhood of 3¼" then that's as high as its going to get.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
      What is the measurement from the top of the blade to the top of the table top when the blade it at its highest point. If it's somewhere in the neighborhood of 3¼" then that's as high as its going to get.
      It's not even close to up. I have a 7" dado blade on there right now and it is about 1/16th above the table. I can see the gears where they mesh, the upper gear rides right up out of the splines when I try and crank it higher.

Comment

look for the obvious. are you sure all the packing paraphanalia has been removed from the saw? open up the door that accesses the motor and, with the saw unplugged, run your hands over the gears and rods and feel for plastic. there may be some restraining straps that were added at the factory that have to be removed. let us know what caused it when you figure it out.
        there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

No luck yet.
          Now I cannot lower it as well. The whole mechanism is jammed.
          There was no packing material or restraining straps in it when I used it unless it was on the opposite side of the assembly where it cannot be seen without dismantling or turning the saw upside down to look into.

I used it several times at different blade heights but it was always sticky when going back up higher. I figured running it up and down a few times would even out the lubrication and loosen it up. It ran down easy but jammed less than half way back up. With a 10" blade on it the blade barely extends out of the top before it jams. Now I cannot even lower it again.
          I really hate the idea that I may have to load this onto a trailer and drive it 15 miles to the nearest service center which is only open during my regular work hours. I have barely an hours use out of the saw.

To make things worse, I went through product registration online and at the end it told me the items I need to physically mail in to get the lifetime warranty. I was dismayed to see it ask that the original UPC code from the box be sent in. The box has already gone to recycling.

Comment

OK, this might be too obvious, but I haven't seen any mention of it in this thread.

Are you sure it's not just locked? That is, the wingnut which holds the crank on should be loose -- if it's tightened enough, it will lock the height adjustment. If it's tightened just a little, it will make the height adjustment harder to turn.

Same with the tilt adjustment crank.

Comment

Originally posted by tjc View Post
              OK, this might be too obvious, but I haven't seen any mention of it in this thread.

Are you sure it's not just locked? That is, the wingnut which holds the crank on should be loose -- if it's tightened enough, it will lock the height adjustment. If it's tightened just a little, it will make the height adjustment harder to turn.

Same with the tilt adjustment crank.
              That is what I would think may be the issue, or if the locking shaft is stuck. That can happen on my unisaw is not kept clean. Make sure that lock shaft is loose.

Comment

No, the mechanism sticks at one point in the movement causing the threads to jump track and strip out the threads on the worm screw.
                The gear and worm screw need replacing. The gear was flexing outward every time it started to hit resistance at that one point in it's travel causing the gear thread to swing out from center allowing it to slip easier. Could be a problem in the original assembly of that piece as I do not think the gear should be able to flex outward.

This has to go in for repair.

Comment

btw...don't worry about the UPC. i have registered all my ridgid tools without sending them a UPC. if you need any info on that, PM me.
                  there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

I would return it and exchange it. You could be waiting a long time for the repair. It may be a manuf. defect or damaged.

Comment

Working...
                    X