X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R845 Circular Saw Help Needed

Hey guys, I just picked up a used 18V cordless circular saw (model R845) yesterday, but I think something might wrong with it. The saw appears to run fine, but if I turn the blade by hand, I feel a constant click. Is this normal for this particular model? I asked two other individuals, but I got two different answers. If you have this model saw, I would really appreciate your help. Thank you.

Re: R845 Circular Saw Help Needed

I have an R8452, 18-Volt 6-1/2 circular saw. I manually rotated the blade as you describe and I can feel/slightly hear the brushes as they ride over the commutator plates. But it's much quieter than what I would call a "click".

There are no brush access ports/screw caps on the housing, so I suspect that Ridgid doesn't consider it serviceable out side of it's own service technicians. I don't have my parts repair sheet in front of me, and if it's like the two Ridgid cordless drills that I have, there wouldn't be any brushes illustrated or listed, but surely they must have brushes.

If it runs well, than I don't have an anwer for you. If it wasn't running or at least running intermittantly, I would suggest that the brushes are worn down and you're hearing the brush spring hit the commutator plates.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

CWS, I'm SORRY, I think I chose the wrong word ("click") to describe the possible problem. The click I was referring to is actually not a noise, it's what I feel...the blade will lightly engage / disengage as I manually turn it clockwise or counter clockwise. I did not notice this "clicking" on my 7 1/4" circular. Thanks.

Comment

As I mentioned previously, I can feel, what I think is the brushes riding on the commutator, as I manually turn the blade, in the manner you described. I guess the question would be whether that is what you are sensing to? During a single revolution, moving foreward or backwards, you can feel "several" of these. They're much like feeling bumps or cogs, no noise really, it's much as you describe.

If you're feeling something, only once every revolution, then it may be something else. But as I describe, I believe it's just the commutator and there's nothing to worry about. I've had my saw a couple of years now and it runs perfectly fine.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

Thanks CWS, I really appreciate your help. I also stopped by HD and noticed the same thing on two different display models. THANK YOU!

Comment

Working...
          X