X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with 16 gal Wet/Dry Vac

I recently acquired a used Ridgid Professional Wet/Dry Vac Model WD18500 (16 gal, 6.5 hp shop vac, parts dwg. attached below). The vacuum will not turn on. When the vacuum is plugged in, and the power switch turned to the “on” position, nothing happens. No noise (except the click of the switch).

I disassembled the vacuum to the point where I could access the motor assembly. The vacuum has obviously been heavily used (probably construction), and many supposedly sealed areas were filled with dried clumps of silt. However, I saw no dirt on the motor housing or fan. The fan rotates freely. I cleaned what I could see.

Since I do not have a multimeter, I could only do visual inspection of the electrical components. I observed no obvious damage to motor, switch, or wiring; and all wiring connections appeared good.

Nothing I did made any difference. Can anyone suggest what might be wrong with my machine, and how I could repair same? Thanks.

UPDATE:
    I aquired a multimeter, and after a few minutes, located the fault. One of the prongs on the plug had broken off inside the hard rubber body of the plug. The break could not be seen or felt. Bought a new plug at Home Depot, wired it up, vacuum now runs. Unfortunately, the motor spits sparks while running, so I probably will not get much life out of it. Oh, well. If it works for a year, it will have been worth the $5 I paid for it.

Kevin Flynn
    Attached Files
    Last edited by flynnk; 06-22-2009, 03:40 PM. Reason: Update

Re: Help with 16 gal Wet/Dry Vac

Go buy or borrow a multi meter, you can not test without it properly. You need to test voltage, resistance and continuity. The brushes also may be worn. These have a lifetime warranty but if you open it they may not honor it. Electrical issues can be dangerous so it sound like you have limited knowledge and I personally would be reluctant to give specifics as how I would check it out, you due to safety hazards.
    You should call Ridgid first but if you find dirt inside the motor case that is not good and they may say it was abused.They have you send in the head assembly to Ridgid after they give you an RMA.
    I have that vac and it is very good, my favorite.

Comment

I'm about to buy this shop vac for my dad for father's day. He's got the cheaper version and it's so freaking loud that it'll hurt your ears while in use.

It has been heavily used, left outside so it's a safe bet another ridgid shop vac will be a good move.

I haven't considered repairing the old one because there's plastic parts that have broken, keeping the assembly together.
      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
        I'm about to buy this shop vac for my dad for father's day. He's got the cheaper version and it's so freaking loud that it'll hurt your ears while in use.

It has been heavily used, left outside so it's a safe bet another ridgid shop vac will be a good move.

I haven't considered repairing the old one because there's plastic parts that have broken, keeping the assembly together.
        You will like the 1850, it is the first Ridgid I have used that is not loud. I have used wet/dry shop vacs since the '70's and this is the best vac. A cleanstream filter is a good investment and if cleaned properly will last a lifetime. I am thinking about getting the metal wand pro accessory kit they have now.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew M. View Post
          You will like the 1850, it is the first Ridgid I have used that is not loud. I have used wet/dry shop vacs since the '70's and this is the best vac. A cleanstream filter is a good investment and if cleaned properly will last a lifetime. I am thinking about getting the metal wand pro accessory kit they have now.

Is there any difference between the 1850 and 1851?

I just paid for it over the phone, $168.00 for my dad for father's day. He destroys everything he owns so that's why I thought the number of years he got out of the last ridgid shop vac was amazing, and it was left outside where water could enter the motor assembly.

I just need to "not" borrow this new one and it truly becomes a gift.

Comment

Checking online info it looks like the WD1851 is the new version of the WD1850. The only difference I can really see is that the WD1851 may come with a slightly better filter. I do recommend the Clean Stream super filter highly. They are miles better than standard filters. Once installed you'll know.

I'm sure he will like it very much and also enjoy not having it blast his ears. Far too many shop vacs really SKREEEEEEEM

Comment

The new model does not have the air/filter flow meter to tell you if the filter is clogged. Not sure how useful that is . I do not look at it really. Again a good vac compared to anything as quiet and with that cfm it is a bargain.

Comment

Like a kid with a new toy

He cleaned all kinds of stuff today. Had it put together this morning.

He's probably never had one that nice so I'm sure it was greatly appreciated.

Now I need to keep my hands off of it, completely...and it will remain a gift.

Otherwise he'll think I bought it for myself.

Comment

Working...
                X