Question regarding hole saw

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question regarding hole saw

Hey everybody, first poster here. I hope I'm asking in the right place. I'm thinking about getting this drill (it's cheap and I only need it for a very small project drilling into wood). I also need a hole saw and was looking into getting this. I'm not sure about how the hole saw attaches to the drill though...do I need any special attachment or does it just attach to a certain sized bit? If so, what should I get, or are there any other hole saws that will work without any attachment? (I'm trying to save money here because I will only need this for one small project.) Thanks!

Re: Question regarding hole saw

looked at the drill you specked along with the 2.75'' hole saw.

save your money and either rent the proper electric drill or find a nice neighbor that can help you with it.

the battery operated driver you listed has less power than i have with my hand using a manual screwdriver.

it shows 40 inch pounds. you'll never get that bit to cut even if you could find an adapter to connect to the 1/4'' hex bit holder.

a 2.75'' hole saw requires a bit of torque to drill and your drill is pretty much useless for anything over 1/4'' in soft wood.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by runfromsticks View Post
      Hey everybody, first poster here. I hope I'm asking in the right place. I'm thinking about getting this drill (it's cheap and I only need it for a very small project drilling into wood). I also need a hole saw and was looking into getting this. I'm not sure about how the hole saw attaches to the drill though...do I need any special attachment or does it just attach to a certain sized bit? If so, what should I get, or are there any other hole saws that will work without any attachment? (I'm trying to save money here because I will only need this for one small project.) Thanks!
      Look for a Ryobi drill from the Home Depot.
      http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...ctId=100497930

One like this is only $15 more than the one you posted, and it will actually be a useful tool. The baby one you posted won't drill or screw much [certainly not a hole saw], you'll just get frustrated with it.

I've bought Ridgid hole saws, but you'll be able to find one that is cheaper that has an integrated mandrel (the special bit that the hole saw screws into).

Comment

like said you will need more drill (power) and more than likey a 1/2 chuck, to drill with the Hole saw,
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

In general, stay away from black and decker. They do have a wide selection of tools, and are relatively inexpensive, but they offer little to no long term support. Build quality is usually only good enough to last a few years with light usage.

To save money, you would be much better off going with the Ryobi as cpw suggested. You could even sell it to someone else when you are done with it. That way you'd have a little bit of cash back after the project, instead of a broken, underpowered piece of black and decker

Also on that Ryobi, it's a great drill. That's the first power tool I bought and it still works fine.
          Last edited by wathman; 06-22-2009, 08:51 AM.

Comment

I would suggest the Ryobi 18v with 1/2 chuck, not a very expensive drill but you can put it through the paces and it holds up, I know I use mine for just about everything, it looks like hell, but it keeps turning..for a one time project I would just pick up a hole saw at Harbor Freight, they are cheap, but they do hold up for a while. Dp

Comment

Thanks for the input guys...I'll look into a different drill. I have another question regarding drilling large holes now. How difficult is it to cut out a hole using a regular drill bit?

Comment

Thanks for the input guys...I'll look into a different drill. I have another question regarding drilling large holes now. How difficult is it to cut out a hole using a regular drill bit?
                Not gonna happen, it will be terribly ugly. The way to do it would be to use a bit to start it and then a jigsaw; but that will cost more than a hole saw and not give you as good a result.

If you are close to the edge of the thing, you can drill a hole and then use a coping saw to cut the circle.

Comment

Pretty difficult, I have attempted this before, and didn't work out to good.

Comment

Coping Saw - Click the picture to see it larger.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Is this a hole through something you can't move like a wall or a floor, or are you placing the hole in something you are building?

Comment

I agree completely with the advice to stay away from the low end drills. There's a real false economy with cheapo cordless drills. If you do plan to do almost any level of work on a continuing basis, you *will* end up getting something different.

If you don't want to spend a lot, forget the cordless and get a good corded drill. You can spend $60-$100 on a Dewalt or Milwaukee and have a kick-a** tool that will do the job and last forever. Plus, you will never need it and find that the batteries are dead.

I have a couple of DeWalt cordless drills and honestly, while they will operate a holesaw, for 2-3/4" through 2x4's or the like it just isn't the right tool. These are high end tools but even so they strain and get hot. I love the convenience of cordless, but generally, for holesaws over 2" I just plug in a corded Milwaukee and do the job faster with no pain or strain. Gotta match the tool to the job.

Comment

Working...
                        X