X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sharpening drill bits

I have the Drill Doctor sharpener and have not purchased any drill bits to replace dull ones for almost two years now.

I will also tell you I do have a significant inventory of bits from 1/16-1/2". Even if I simply tossed them when dull I'd still have at least a year's worth of bits.

I have the model 750 and can select the bit cutting angle etc. Prior I had their model 400.

I do notice the "newer design" is noisier and feels cheaper than the older models. I spoke with the factory and they indicated they are aware of the increased noise and cheaper feeling..but it's due to a newer [cheaper??] motor design. But the thing still does a nice job.

So, for the discussion:

1. how many of you have a Drill Doctor and use it routinely?

2. If you do not have the Drill doctor what other sharpener do you have, or what do you
    do with your dull bits?

Cactus Man

Re: sharpening drill bits

I use a bench grinder with 80 grit aluminum oxide (white) for HSS and silicone carbide (green) for carbide bits. Freehand takes a little practice but i never fight with dull bits trying to drill holes

Comment

Usage is the key element for me. The vast majority of my drilling is into wood so my bits stay sharper much longer than someone who works with metals a lot. Also, I use primarily brad point bits which I understand the Drill Doctors can't sharpen. So, no Drill Doctor here. When I dull a blade I just buy a new one.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I have one and I've used it with mixed results. Sometimes I couldn't get the angle right with it. I joined a company that provides all the drill bits I need so I haven't used it for a few years now.

Comment

I find that losing or breaking bits gets rid of the necessity of sharpening them.

Comment

I freehand mine with a belt sander, use the disc sander on the little bits.
            info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

I have the 750 also, bought it maybe 5 years ago.
              I really like it for being able to put split points on a drill bit. i can free hand sharpen but i prefer the drill doctor myself.

Comment

Working...
              X